How many of you work a regular day job?

I realize that most of you on here do.. but I also realize that the one thing we all have in common is that we are passionate about music in some form (at least enough for you to create a profile and become active on this forum).

My advanced apologies if this turns into some live journal type of rant. However, regarding the original question, how many of you day job having folks are okay with it? Is it something you are actually cool with doing everyday for 8 hours? Or is it just a means to an end?

Without going into too much detail, I really think I'm part of the 'means to an end' category. I studied something in college that will be lucrative without having much of a passion for it. Now I'm 5 years deep into this career of mine and I find myself basically living for the weekend.. Anyone else in this boat?

Again..sorry for the rant, it's been quite a Monday at the office..

No worries. I work a "9-5" and I seriously hate it. I don't see myself working this kind of gig my whole life, otherwise said life would be a failure. I have an opportunity this next year to work in the music industry and im really looking forward to it, hoping it springboards me into my next chapter in life.

Do you ever consider switching your path in life?

Do you ever consider switching your path in life?

I hope to do that through some form of self employment. One of my biggest issues is that I have a lot of debt to knock down before I can consider any sort of serious career change. It's really shitty because it essentially chains me down to my job.. I'm sure I can venture out and find the 'greener grass' but I'm just not motivated to do so. From researching and talking to other peers in this industry it's basically the same circus with different clowns anyway..

Glad to hear you got something cool going for you though! And thanks for responding to what is essentially me venting on the internet.. lol

Don't underestimate the importance of liking your coworkers. Even scrubbing toilets for a living can be enjoyable if you've got good company there to make you smile and laugh. On the flip side, working for or with people you can't stand can make any job suck.

The people I work with at my day job aren't bad, but the work itself is stupidly oppressive. I typed out a whole thing, but deleted it. I'll just leave it at that.

The band is like a second job. Music itself is fun, but "band stuff" is like work. This is another can of worms, so I'll stop there. o_O

Oh, guitarist with Justin Bieber? ;) ;) :D
Sadly, I'm not Dan Kanter.

Though, and this is totally serious, I do defend The Bieb who gets slagged on in our first day orientation class by another presenter at our office. He's been shitting on The Bieb's music for 4 years now. I correct his "mistake" in my mid-week class I give to incoming engineers. Always good for a laugh. :) I'm not a Be-lieb-er, but I don't think he writes simpleton music either.

I was trained in my other passion, aerospace and ocean engineering, and wound up working for the company that I dreamed about working for as a child. It's not been easy. The creative side of my personality often conflicts with other things. About 10 years ago, I managed to align my job description closer to my hobby. I now work in structural vibroacoustics. After being in a band for 10 years, I realized that I was never cut out for that life and am more than happy to do my three to six months a year supporting musical theater groups.

Turned my passion (computers and electronics) into a job and was happy with it for about 20 years. 10 more years and it got boring. Hard to find something that'll fascinate you for your whole work life. That said I have to agree that your environment and co-workers make the important difference.

Im 52 this year.. Daytime work from my early 20s. For the very most part loved it. Always had good luck with company, boss and co-workers.
In my mid 30s I grabbed a chance to get "bought out" as we got bought up but a large cooperation. Gave me a platform to start my own business (consulting, mostly in finance and sales/marketing). Loved to be independent and more focused (less office politics and endless meetings...)

Turning 40 I put my business on hold and went to China to study Chinese for a year... mostly as a fun year, no massive plan behind it.
And here I am soon 13 years later, set up a company in Hong Kong, doing consulting again along with some trading, loving it

I also agree on that not so important what you do, but you gotta have co-workers that you enjoy working with, otherwise every day will be a pain. Given the amount of time we all spend at work during a lifetime, it has to be at least reasonable enjoyable.
And going self employed was best I ever did. Again its not easy to "break free" when there is bills to pay, food to be put on the table, but if you have a chance, seriously consider it.

When I stopped my business and went to China all my friends told me I was nuts. But it thought me so much, new language, culture, people.. everything. And lucky enough to be able to start a business too.

Music is my passion though and from time to time I still think I should have put more effort into it when young, aiming for being a musician... Oh, well well, cant have everything....

Not sure I would have been happy still today doing 9-5 office work, but a good mix of luck, skill and being stubborn worked out fine.

Onwards and upwards...

Sadly, I'm not Dan Kanter.

Though, and this is totally serious, I do defend The Bieb who gets slagged on in our first day orientation class by another presenter at our office. He's been ****ting on The Bieb's music for 4 years now. I correct his "mistake" in my mid-week class I give to incoming engineers. Always good for a laugh. :) I'm not a Be-lieb-er, but I don't think he writes simpleton music either.

His band is certainly no joke. Killer players, all.

I work in a newspaper (sub-editor). Tons of pressure, we fired dozens of employees last year, the problems in the press sector are so hard that I don't know if my office will still be here in a few years. Because of the stress I don't always find the energy to play music. Fortunately I have my side-business selling presets, without that I don't know what I would do

Quick background - Army for 23 years, last 13 as a PA (Physician Assistant), retired in 2010, worked regular federal job doing disability exams until last March when I switched to fee basis/contract (same job otherwise). Up until then it was 40 hours a week minimum (the Army was usually 50-60+). Since becoming fee basis I work 3 days a week for three weeks and then take the fourth week off for a total of 9 workdays a month. Switching to part time has been the best decision in my professional life when it comes to music and creativity. I'm studying music production and guitar at Berklee online and still have time for my own musical projects. I don't loathe my regular job, but I wouldn't miss it if I was able to leave it and pursue music full time. It's not likely because the money is really good for the amount of time I have to spend there. And it helps fund my gear and other music related expenses.

I'm pretty fortunate to have the job I have. I do technical work which I enjoy, and was promoted to supervisor a few months ago, which has it's good and bad points. Overall I enjoy my work and I work from home in the virtual world. Doesn't mean I can slag off, as there is always plenty to do, but it certainly makes it nice to have that freedom. I like the co-workers in my virtual office, but sometimes the guy in my physical office can be a real pain.

Oh, and when I was younger I was in a band trying to hit the big-time, and it really just wasn't me. My biggest challenge was in trying to promote myself and treat it like a business. I think I always had a feeling that even though I loved playing music, it wasn't the right career choice for me. I'm probably better off doing it for fun and having a solid day gig to pay the bills and buy a few toys with.

I know a few people that tried to make a life playing music and now are in their 50s and are still just scraping by. I understood that no matter what you do in life, if you do it 5 or 6 days a week it will become a job. I have at least been able to afford whatever music equipment I want because of my 6 day a week job and knowing that I have provided for my wife and kids I can enjoy my music hobby the few off hours I have. Good luck to those that try but I know I didn't have the talent or drive to just do music.

Great thread. I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I no longer have a day job. I worked pro until the age of 30 and walked away from the music industry to focus on my family. I became a normal person. I ended up working most of my career in the dairy processing business. I ended up in senior management of a 12-billion dollar a year company. I was the HSE Director (Health, Safety Environment). I was also responsible for plant security and training. (Yes, I wore a lot of hats). I was greatly blessed with several great bosses (I reported directly to the company President), great colleagues, and awesome employees.

Then on September 11, 2001, everything changed. My work always involved a lot of travel to our plants to work with the various management teams. The constant travel became oppressive, and plant security became a nightmare. We had over 180 plants. I ended up on the committee advising congress on food security. Unfortunately, congress is political rather than practical so they largely ignored our recommendations and issued the Bioterrorism Act of 2002. They ended up doing most of what we told them not to do and doing very little of what we told them to do. I gracefully bowed out of the committee.

In 2005, I was offered an opportunity to work for an insurance company as a risk consultant. Based on my experience in the food business, most of my clients were Fortune 50 corporations. I advised them on Property risk, and Casualty risk. The work was very interesting, but the travel was brutal. I ended up with 100% travel, and work became pretty consuming. In the end, the travel really wore me down. I retired in July of 2016. I still do a little bit of private consulting, mostly for religious organizations, or private companies. Mrs. Geeze and I are enjoying our retirement and our grandkids.

All the travel really made it difficult to keep up with my love for all things guitar. I was able to do some side projects with friends, support the worship team at church, and work gave me the means to afford great gear. Even though my playing suffered from lack of continuous practice, I consider myself greatly blessed. My work life was very challenging, but the work was always interesting, never routine, and greatly rewarding, knowing that I was directly responsible for improving the working conditions of many people, and helping to save the environment for future generations. I am a very fortunate man.

Back
Top Bottom