How many of you use REAL cabs still?

I use an Ampeg V9 coupled with a 4x12 or an 8x10. No active cab could deliver that sound and the venues we play have very mixed FOH situations ;)

You mean the the Recto slant? If you do that's the one I have and they still make them. I would like to convert mine to stereo though.

They look like this:

Dedicated Guitar Monitors

I tried to link this page but no luck. Is that what you mean? These are fantastic. I had talked to Mesa about them and they haven't been made for quite a while, since like 2003. At least that is what the chic who replied said a while ago. Regardless - they are great cabs.

JB

Excellent discussion. For the past 2+ years of owning my Axe II, with Power Amp Sim on I go into Matrix into a Marshall 4x12. The Axe sounds sooo good that it just needs to be louder as someone had stated. I tried using cab sims into FRFR, but couldn't used to the sound of a mic'd cab as my live sound. 90% of gigs I do are bar and club dates where it is just my rig turned up loud. I prefer the sound of an amp into a cab as opposed to a mic'd cab.

There are certain aspects that I love with my 2:90 / Marshall 1960 Lead Cab. High gain to plexi's generally sound great but what not having or ever used an FRFR setup, the curiosity kills me. I know that any singular cab will restrict the Axe, but it's my go to for the moment. Not using or trying an FRFR feels like I might have a pot of gold under my bed that's just been sitting there for years, waiting to be found.

Iunno...

But when I can produce a sound like this View attachment Eve6.syx (which is good for my limited abilities), it steers me away from FRFR because it sounds so good to my ears.

FRFR used to suck balls for amp in the room feel, but recent advancements have me very impressed. I'm a mancave player and really enjoy going from amp to amp in the wiki and checking out the suggested IRs for each amp. For FRFR, I use Matrix kit, speakers and amps. For traditional cabs, I have some old tube works 2x12s loaded with EVM-12Ls (upper is slanted and has removable back) and two 4x12s, a EVH 5150 and a Mesa traditional straight. I have been successful at reproducing these cabs in the Axe using FRFR, so I use both. The 1x12 FRFRs will never push air but the 4x12s will never sound off the album, so I mix both depending on what I'm doing; it makes for good reference. If looking for a good IR, I only use the FRFRs but I always make sure they mix well with my other cabs. Lastly, use the motor drive, it's been significantly improved. Thanks again to all at Fractal Audio, you make life so wonderful for us all :)

I have been very happy with 2 CLRs. I got rid of the 2x12 and 4x12 a couple of years ago and never looked back.

Two CLRs for me and I couldn't be happier.

Every time I've used the Axe + CLRs along side another player's real tube head + 4x12 cab, I've consistently been glad to have what I've got.

My favorite IR is the Chinese V30s from Ownhammer. I love using it and use it all the time.
FRFR used to suck balls for amp in the room feel, but recent advancements have me very impressed. I'm a mancave player and really enjoy going from amp to amp in the wiki and checking out the suggested IRs for each amp. For FRFR, I use Matrix kit, speakers and amps. For traditional cabs, I have some old tube works 2x12s loaded with EVM-12Ls (upper is slanted and has removable back) and two 4x12s, a EVH 5150 and a Mesa traditional straight. I have been successful at reproducing these cabs in the Axe using FRFR, so I use both. The 1x12 FRFRs will never push air but the 4x12s will never sound off the album, so I mix both depending on what I'm doing; it makes for good reference. If looking for a good IR, I only use the FRFRs but I always make sure they mix well with my other cabs. Lastly, use the motor drive, it's been significantly improved. Thanks again to all at Fractal Audio, you make life so wonderful for us all :)

Back
Top Bottom