How many of you use also real amps and pedalboards and why?

Hi,

I just got my invite for an FM3 HP and have some decisions to make. As a bedroom / home studio player I'm using an AX8 for occasional recording but in the last couple of weeks I somehow got into pedals, pedalboards and especially analog drive pedals (probably due to GAS). Finding myself using the AX8 less and less. Now I have to decide if I nevertheless upgrade my digital rig from AX8 to FM3.

So I'd like to hear some opinions from those of you who use fractal modelling but still have real amps and one or more pedalboards.
One of my observations was that I tend to digress into constantly tweaking the tone and different parameters in the AX8 rather than practicing / playing whereas I actually enjoy the playing experience with a pedalboard more without constantly turning the knobs. However, for recording I still prefer the flexibility of the AX8 which lets me audition different presets / scenes quickly, has stereo output with cab IRs and so on.

Let me know your thoughts. Cheers.

Hi,

I just got my invite for an FM3 HP and have some decisions to make. As a bedroom / home studio player I'm using an AX8 for occasional recording but in the last couple of weeks I somehow got into pedals, pedalboards and especially analog drive pedals (probably due to GAS). Finding myself using the AX8 less and less. Now I have to decide if I nevertheless upgrade my digital rig from AX8 to FM3.

So I'd like to hear some opinions from those of you who use fractal modelling but still have real amps and one or more pedalboards.
One of my observations was that I tend to digress into constantly tweaking the tone and different parameters in the AX8 rather than practicing / playing whereas I actually enjoy the playing experience with a pedalboard more without constantly turning the knobs. However, for recording I still prefer the flexibility of the AX8 which lets me audition different presets / scenes quickly, has stereo output with cab IRs and so on.

Let me know your thoughts. Cheers.

Instead of constant tweaking with the Axe one often finds they spend all their practice time watching video reviews of new pedals, buying and selling new pedals etc.

I think if one wants to be distracted with the non musical aspects of guitar it doesn’t matter if it’s hardware or modeling

Im on the other side. Lifelong amp and pedals user here....just got the FM3 this week. Love the sound of a traditional amp and pedals. Im on my second fender hot rod deluxe...great amps for pedals but they dont seem to last long. My first lasted me just under three years before frying out. My second is about 2.5 years old and probably going to shit the bed soon. So when I got the invite for the FM3 I took the plunge. So far very impressed with it. Picked up a headrush 108 and now just getting ready to play out with this. Unsure if my original plan to sell my amp and pedals is going to happen or if Im going to just hold on to everything. I found I still had to tweak sounds with the analog pedal so that never goes away. What I have seen and heard from the fractal units truly impressed me. The idea I can have a consistently great sound in the footprint of the FM3 is very appealing.

I use min because both that gear has a lot of sentimental value for me, and also love form time to time to turn on the tubes and stomp on the pedals. I'd make truly some cash by selling it, and save some space, but I do not think it is worth for me yet. I have a JVM410C with some mods, love his tone, and a quite complete pedalboard.

Instead of constant tweaking with the Axe one often finds they spend all their practice time watching video reviews of new pedals, buying and selling new pedals etc.

I think if one wants to be distracted with the non musical aspects of guitar it doesn’t matter if it’s hardware or modeling

Good point actually. Many options and distraction go hand in hand.

Im on the other side. Lifelong amp and pedals user here....just got the FM3 this week. Love the sound of a traditional amp and pedals. Im on my second fender hot rod deluxe...great amps for pedals but they dont seem to last long. My first lasted me just under three years before frying out. My second is about 2.5 years old and probably going to shit the bed soon. So when I got the invite for the FM3 I took the plunge. So far very impressed with it. Picked up a headrush 108 and now just getting ready to play out with this. Unsure if my original plan to sell my amp and pedals is going to happen or if Im going to just hold on to everything. I found I still had to tweak sounds with the analog pedal so that never goes away. What I have seen and heard from the fractal units truly impressed me. The idea I can have a consistently great sound in the footprint of the FM3 is very appealing.

Would be interesting to hear about your impression with the FRFR setup compared to your experience with amps.

I'm still using some tube amps; however, I've been using the AXE3 and FX8 for my effects for years. While my pedalboard had a little better feel, sound wise, I really can't tell the difference and patch cables are a pain. I mainly use tube amps for the feel and volume when I'm able to play that loud. I've been playing Komet amps for a few years and while the AXE3 is close, the Komets just feel better. I recently got an AmbiKab Jr and it has added a dimension to my tone that is just magical. When playing live, I doubt the audience can really tell the difference between the AXE3 and my tube amps. I did struggle at first to get the AXE3/FRFR to cut through the mix but a little more volume and some EQ did the trick.

If I was an at home player only, I think the AXE3/FM3 would be the way to go. I usually can't play my tube amps at the volume I need to get the tone/feel that I prefer. I can't play my AXE3/FRFR set up and very low volumes that don't disturb the family.

I feel like you don't really have to compromise on either. If you were to upgrade, you can still use your pedals in conjunction with the FM3. I would suggest looking at the FM3 sub forum and check out people's rigs. This may help you get a sense of where you may want to go rig wise. The amp modeling in this latest generation is fantastic and personally, it doesn't take long to find a usable and satisfying tone. Once you have a basic amp tone you like, you can use it as a pedal platform from which to utilize your pedals, while also having the fantastic direct recording capabilities available to you.

Last edited:
Man, having tube amps and traditional pedals is no cure for the tweakaholic. You've got to have the discipline to practice when you need to practice. One good way to do this is to use a longer patch cord and turn off the computer. Be away from everything in the middle of the room.

I use a copy of Tom Morello's rig in my Audioslave tribute band. Which means a Marshall amp and half a dozen of pedals. Not because I believe the Axe can't nail it, I know it does because I got the presets. But I think if you do the tribute thing you gotta do it like the original. And Tom playing with his pedals and amp is an integral part of the act if you ask me. So I must suffer. And suffer I do because whoever said that Marshalls are indestructible workhorse was full of shite. I got 3 Marshalls and sometimes I think they break down just by looking at them. In contrast the Axe FX just keeps on going. Best investment EVER! Even if it did have to sign away my soul to but one.

I like amplifiers and I've had them since before I purchased the Axe-Fx. I play the Axe-Fx way more than I play my amps these days.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll go for the FM3 because winter is coming, life is short, my preferences tend to change every now and then, new toys are exciting and so on. I'll keep messing around with pedals though.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll go for the FM3 because winter is coming, life is short, my preferences tend to change every now and then, new toys are exciting and so on. I'll keep messing around with pedals though.

I don't think you'll regret the decision. It is a really great gadget. If you decide that you don't get along with it then they are easy to sell with minimal loss because they have been in short supply.

ESP EII MII (EMG81/60) + Line6 Relay G50 wireless + FM3 + EVH5150III in 4CM + 212cab (G12EVH + V30) is getting it done for me currently.
Only pedal I use is a DITTO JAM X2 Looper cause it has a mic and tracks the beat so it stays in time, no need for a click.

Best part about this setup is using the FM3's output 1 knob as a master volume, I can digitally set exact levels, so rehearsal volume with a very loud drummer, I'm running it only at 27% (out2 is 100%, master volumes on amp are set to it's sweet spot)

Additionally, one can easily create a preset to bypass the Amp's preamp, using an amp block instead if I want to use modeling, and it sounds great too.

I'm a Live player mostly, so for home recording or silent practice, I use modeling.

Back
Top Bottom