How many of you guys use the enhancer block and...

So few run stereo here. It's sad really.

On topic: I never use it anymore unless I'm using headphones. When I A/B, it just always sounds better, more organic, without the enhancer IMO.
But do you delay one side of a cab block or do anything ? I tried some stuff in stereo and I don't have the thicker result without the enhancer.

It works best at the very end of the chain. Putting it before will screw up your reverbs or any kind of stereo delays you might use.

I haven't placed it at the very end, but it is the last thing before the Reverbs (haven't found it to be too detrimental there).

But do you delay one side of a cab block or do anything ? I tried some stuff in stereo and I don't have the thicker result without the enhancer.
I'm actually running stereo through a 212 cab, no cab block, so no, no slight delay tricks. Still sounds thick enough for me.

Looking back through the thread it seems that everyone who has chimed in is going with the classic setting instead of the modern? Any particular reason? I understand it is all personal preference of course, but I'm just curious if there is some advantage that is preferable? I read the enhancer section in the manual and understand the difference between the two settings, but I'm curious to hear about everyone's reasons for choosing one over the other.

This is basically what the classic enhancer does. It adds 20ms of delay to one side and leaves unaltered the other side.
PS: sometimes I also use a tape chorus set to the same delay time that adds a bit of coloration and modulation to the delayed signal, this greatly emulates the vintage adt reel
Oh, good to know! Thats prob why I prefer the classic enhancer then.

Looking back through the thread it seems that everyone who has chimed in is going with the classic setting instead of the modern? Any particular reason? I understand it is all personal preference of course, but I'm just curious if there is some advantage that is preferable? I read the enhancer section in the manual and understand the difference between the two settings, but I'm curious to hear about everyone's reasons for choosing one over the other.

IMO, Classic does a better job of emulating that "Double Tracked" Sound vs. just widening the stereo field, like the Modern setting does.

I have a small delay on one side of the cab block. That's covered, so probably why I prefer the modern enhancer mode. It seems to do what I want it to.

Yeah I use it a lot to add extra width and depth. Especially on trippy spacey sounds (i have lots of those...). I almost always use it at the very end of the chain after the reverb. Obviously it's only useful if you're in stereo. If you're listening in mono don't use it! Also be careful that its not making your sound too thin. I also like to use it on my synth layers if I'm mixing those in with the guitar. I have a lot of multi-layered sounds and I need to position the layers in different positions and distances in the stereo field to provide more separation - so the enhancer is just one of the tools that can help you do that. Must admit I prefer the modern mode as it seems to be a bit more "extreme" and also is able to push things wider than the classic mode. If its too strong i mix it with some dry signal (it should have its own mix control but doesn't for some reason so you need to use routing). Sometimes you can get some weird but cool phase effects shaping the tone too so be careful!

I usually use it in modern mode but sometimes in my room i hear weird stuff using it even when its last in the effect chain. Mostly i notice that on particular notes or when i use exaggetated vibrato the perceived panning of the sound goes from even L and R to way over to the left.

Anyone else experience this?

I've heard a couple people mention that they feel it changes the tone. Is that even possible? Is it just a perceived change because of the "embiggening"? If it is just meant to widen the stereo field how could that change the actual tone?

I wonder if my use of cabs/delays/reverb/enhancer will crumble once playing on a big PA system :/

Whoa just want to say thanks for this thread.
I'm the sole guitar player in my band, and have been trying to use the pitch block for a while to thicken up my tone... but the classic setting on the enhancer is a total game changer!
Will be using that from now on.
Learning something new everyday.

I use it in both modes...but as far as tone changes go, yes there seems to be perhaps some reverse phasing going on here that removes bass...

Modern is much more subtle...and sometimes I prefer that over that Classic mode. YMMV

Also, when using delay AND enhancer, there seems to be a very slight flanging effect. Need to work on that one and find out where it's coming from...

I, too, use the enhancer block, namely in modern mode because it's more subtle, at least to my ears.

I do agree that the modern mode is more subtle. That is why I'm kind of leaning towards that. With the classic mode you can really hear/feel that widening take place though.

I like to use it in a very specific way : modern mode, in front of two parallel (and different) cabs panned hard L/R with one using the left input, the other the right input

I like to use it in a very specific way : modern mode, in front of two parallel (and different) cabs panned hard L/R with one using the left input, the other the right input

This is interesting. So many people seem to use it at the end of the chain. Any particular advantage you've found using it this way?

Yes it sends different signals to each speaker, plus, that's the best way to use the enhancer with dual cabs imho

This is interesting. So many people seem to use it at the end of the chain. Any particular advantage you've found using it this way?

Enhancer (either mode) before vs. after stereo/panned cabs would only give different results when the cab has something nonlinear (motor drive or preamp sim) happening. If not, the order doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom