How many of you are actually using the Axe as your main gig rig.

Oh...I never directly answered the question though.
Yes...the Ultra is my only device onstage into a Mesa Power amp then to a Marshall 4X12 w/GT1275s

I would love to say that I'm gigging with mine but I can't, at least not yet. For over 10 years I played about 15-20 small shows (rock, country, etc.) every year with a line 6 pod, then a Boss GT-6, and then a Boss GT-8. I also played 2-4 church cantatas using a VG-88 and GR-30. After I got my Axe, all but one of those gigs dissappeared for a variety of reasons. The only show left was 1 cantata that I still played with the VG/GR combo because that worked the best in that situation. So, I finally got my dream rig and there's no place to show it off. I wouldn't have a problem taking it to any of my normal gigs but if I was going into a Blues Brothers "chickenwire" gig or a backwoods-Alabama "dynamite" gig (no, I'm not kidding) I'd take my GT-8 instead.

For all the guys looking for a quick cheap backup that sounds great, check out tech 21 stuff....their amp modeling is only surpassed by the axe. Line 6 sounds like digital cardboard in comparison. Very reliable, easy to get a good sound, very minimal tweaking, and tough as nails. Run on batteries too.....what MORE can you want? LOL

For all the guys looking for a quick cheap backup that sounds great, check out tech 21 stuff....their amp modeling is only surpassed by the axe. Line 6 sounds like digital cardboard in comparison. Very reliable, easy to get a good sound, very minimal tweaking, and tough as nails. Run on batteries too.....what MORE can you want? LOL

I would like to have a backup. Something to fit in my briefcase, just in case. I am gonna check it out.

Using it and loving it the ultra sounds awesome live im running it with a mosvalve 962 poweramp and currently playing the 5150 setting in a metal band. Im using a rocktron chamelion 2000 as a backup which actually sounds good at high volumes but doesnt compare to the beauty and agression of a Fractal!

Im ever so slowly making the leap. I did a gig weekend before last ran FOH from my Ultra and for stage monitor I used my cab and an SLA-2 power amp sounded good. Got some compliments from some fellow tone whores that were drooling over my ultra. Im pretty sure Im gonna do that again this weekend. Im considering grabbing an inexpensive powered cab for my stage monitor it would sure be lighter than my 4x12 and a power amp!!!

It's my live rig period - it has replaced two old modded JCM800's and a rack full of post processing gear, line mixers and power amps.
Live rig - Ground Control / 2 exp pedals / Ultra / Yamaha pwr amp / Marshall 900 stereo cab. I wish I could get to the point where I run direct, but I'm out of CPU on most of my live patches (with no cab blocks) so being able to send a "cabbed" output to the board and take the other output to feed it to my amp and cab is not in the cards. If there is any reason for me to get an Axe II, it's that by itself.

Plus until the rest of my band embraces the idea of running direct (drums, bass, 2nd guitar) there's just no point.

The Axe-Fx Std has been my exclusive rig for about 2 years now. I run out 1 to the FOH and out 2 to my QSC K12 or FBT 12ma as backline. Using a FCB1010 and not gassing for anything else. Compliments very nicely my other guitarist's JCM800 rig.

about 20 show so far no problems, solids state amp (sometimes a marshall amp) to 2 1x12 marshall cab with vintage celestion, and straight to the mixing board...love it

Been using the Ultra on tour two summers in a row, directly to FOH and using IEM. Sounds absolutely great, will wait for a new way to mic a guitar amp before I play a mic'ed amp through inears :) this summer we did 26 gigs this way, and I think I stated my love for my inear sound even on the last day.
There's lots of clips if you're interested.

cheers!

Just using my Ultra, MFC and Atomic powered wedge to play out with my band. Depending on the size of the venue, I either go direct to PA or use the Atomic as backline. Never had a better sound or less pain in my ageing back!

Picked up a standard in fall 2007- upgraded to Ultra in 08. Fractal has been my only piece of gear since 2007.
Haven't tweaked a knob on my Ultra since May when v.11 update came out. For me it all just works.

Ultra is my one and only piece - other than a talk-box, favorite distortion pedal, and MIDI controller.
Been thru two hot summers and cold winters. Never a problem. Everything works and looks like new.

There have been a couple of long hot days and very cold nights where the Ultra was inadvertantly packed way back in the equipment trailer...survived well and was ready the next night.

Take reasonably good care of it, and it will do the same for you.

I don't have any reason to go back to lugging amps and cabs. No reason what so ever.

Since Feb 2011 I've used my Ultra in about 80 gigs with an Atomic powered cab and an MFC on the floor. I don't use FOH or PA facilities as the pubs and clubs we play are never vast and the Atomic is way loud enough (I have bought a second Atomic powered cab though as a back-up / boost if we play a bigger gig). Sad to report though that the Ultra has let me down on a few occasions unfortunately (I documented all of this in another thread...) but I'll stick with it for a little longer even though my confidence in the product has been dented.

Update: 12/11/2011 - My Atomic amp failed mid song at last night's gig and will be going back to G66 for repair. I am beginning to feel that these high end products are just too complicated for their own good and not robust enough for semi-pro / pro gigging.

Update: 26/11/2011 - Atomic powered cab was sent to G66 for repair and returned to me fitted with a new amp internally. Once I turned it on at home it started to make strange hissing noises after about two minutes or so, consequently it has been returned to G66 again. I sent a sound file of the noise coming from the amp to G66 and they diagnosed 'possibly a broken capacitor probably damaged in transit'. I am now awaiting the amp to be repaired and returned to me. I must add that G66 personnel couldn't be more helpful but I'm not impressed with the apparent fragility of the product.

Last edited:
Just used my Ultra for the first time DI. I didn't even use my own monitor/speaker, just used the venues gear.

I got compliments from the venue's soundguy, and the bands soundguy (I'm just sessioning with these guys), for having an awesome sounding and hassle free setup :D.

I use the Ultra live direct to FOH and run an FBT verve 12ma to monitor myself or for carrying small rooms. I have had only one problem and it was at a venue that was located right next to a powerful radio transmitter. I had trouble with one amp there, too, but not two other amps (using the same guitars and pedals). I got rid of the interference by wrapping my cables with iron core chokes. Other than that, smooth sailing, great sound, easy load-in/out....what's not to like?

BF3

Been using the AFX for about a year now, playing just about every week at my church and sometimes at conferences. The only time in the past year I haven't taken it with me was on a recent youth camp in Thailand and that was because I didn't want to check it (even though I have a shockmounted flight case.) I really baby that thing. It is, after all, my only rig now that I've sold everything else :)

EDIT: And since I got the AFX, I've been going straight to FOH, using a QSC K12 as a monitor.

Last edited:
I've done about 20 gigs with my Ultra and not had a problem. Of course I use mine in 4cable method with my orange rockerverb so I have a backup in my setup. Ultra goes down I just use my amp for the night no effects, if my amp goes down we do carry an extra head for the other guitar player but I also have my Ultra's citrus model :) I copy all of my presets starting at 200 for that reason. Again though, haven't had any issues yet!

Back
Top Bottom