How many negative db's are your levels?

depends on the amp. on the DC30 i can run it at around -6 and be fine...Smallbox is in the -12-14 range. I remember the HBE being more the -18-20 range.

Yep- depends on the amp model. Some I have the level as high as -6 to -3db and some have to be down as low as -15 to -18 or so. Post up your preset like Chris mentioned..

Reactions: yek
+1

Gentlemen,
Quoting Level values (in regard to 0 on the VU meter) makes NO sense at all.
Signal level depends on the value of the Bass control, gain / compression (Drive and Overdrive), low cut/high cut, selected IR, IR settings (such as: is a stereo Cab block panned or not) etc. etc. etc.

When the loudness meter first came out, there was a thread about it.

It's really simple. Strum chords and watch the meter. Get it to hit around "0" when your boosts / solo are off. The front panel "A" knob is set to amp block 1 level when you are on the meter page. So you can adjust "A". Then Store -> Enter -> Enter to save your changes.

I'm going to have to start adding the looper to my default template for things like this and cab selecting.

I find that most Cab blocks ADD to output volume so I first adjust Cab block output (usually around -5db) so that the overall output level on the meter is the same with Cab block on or off.

After I've done cab block compensation, I adjust amp output to hit around 0 on the meter with average strength strumming and no fx. Amount depends on amp type + settings - usually anywhere from -2 to -12.

All fx output levels are set to keep overall output level at around 0 on the meter. Usually no fx level change is required but some fx settings will boost or cut and need compensation. Check output volume with each fx block on or off, and, test with each combination of fx to be used in the patch (sometimes individual fx will not affect overall volume but combinations of fx will)

I add 2 db at output matrix for lead.

Watch out for active parallel blocks which will add volume.

Watch out for global Eq settings and / output matrix settings which can affect overall output volume.

Once my initial adjustments are complete, I recheck level :
- with each fx block on and off,
- with each fx combination to be used.
- with each parameter setting to be used (ie via modifier)
- with each scene.
Final testing in done with hard strumming and should show no sign of output clipping ( should not get close to max on the meter).

Output knobs at noon seem to provide loads of signal for outboard gear.

Different guitars may require different input level settings to ovoid having to re level patches by guitar.

I find this type of rigorous methodical level testing to be very time consuming but It's the only way I know to keep things consistent. I use global blocks a lot to keep the variables under control (i.e I only have one or two global block definitions for each effect - only amp/cab/drive blocks are unique per patch)

Because we have both the bass and guitar sent to output 2, for our monitoring, I set the VU to -2 to keep the combined signal from clipping, and I still never go as low as -30, on either bass or guitar.

All my effects are kept at 0, I (guitar) am usually between -12 (there may be one patch that's around -20, but I'm away from my axe at the moment) and -2, depending upon the amp sim, and the bass sits at -21, but it uses the same basic amp on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always set it to where it needs to be. Regardless of the number. If you use clean amps, then your distorted amps are gonna have to be dialed way back for consistent perceived volume.

Back
Top Bottom