How many here play live vs. do not play live?

How many here play live or used to play live regularly before the pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 71 63.4%
  • No, I use the Axe-Fx (or other gear) strictly for recording, home use, as a hobby, etc

Votes: 41 36.6%

• Total voters
Was happily playing 3-4 times a month before the sniffle panic. Two unique, well rehearsed, bands that I was very proud of are now down the toilet. No place to play, so my bandmates threw in the towel. A third project that would have been my dream band: stillborn.

To say that I'm bitter would be vastly understating.

Sorry to hear that. That really sucks.

2/3 a month average maybe as in gigs in front of audiences nowdays (pre-lockdown I mean) - the odd bigger payer one but I'm happy with enough to pay for the monthly expenses of a multi-pack box of strings and travel costs to gigs and rehearsals. Weekend warrior stuff ...... but just getting to play covers or whatever with a bunch of other like minded musicians some of whom I've played alongside for must be close to 30 years is the real reward for me.

Hopefully us ageing disgracefully guys with day jobs keep some sort of inspiration for younger guys to form bands even if it's just for the love of playing.

You (like me) might be 'only' in a covers band and helping the bar take money but it maybe helps keeps a venue open for live music of all types

You might 'only' be in a group of people making music in a basement or 'only' play alone for your own enjoyment but by keeping active you could be called to dep for someone in another band and get a live gig once in a while and help keep a venue going

Live music at club sized level is important to me. Back when I started I was inspired more from sitting 10 feet from a bunch of guys, playing great with grins on their faces than standing 100 feet away from Thin Lizzy or Whitesnake at some large hall with a less defined sound from a big PA.

Sorry for the slightly party political broadcast hijack - but the message is KEEP PLAYING AND HELP KEEP LIVE MUSIC ALIVE

Over the past five years I've recorded seven full-length albums and played guest on a few more. The last club show I played was in 1993, with a really terrible garage band I was in. None of use had tuners and we had cheap Peavey and Marshall solid state amps. Last time I played live was around 2019 with a community college guitar ensemble.

I have zero interest in playing live anymore. Trying to find dedicated, non-egomaniac band members who actually learn the songs and have the gear is more stress than its worth. Also, I'm 50. No local band that does original music is going to be interested in someone my age. At best, I'd hook up with some dad rock band that does 70s, 80s and 90s covers. Woohoo, I can get up on stage with a bunch of over-the-hill geezers and muddle through "Pour Some Sugar On Me" at some run-down dive where the owner doesn't want to pay and the audience is a bunch of drunk grandmas and grandpas still trying to fit into spandex and wearing the same denim jackets they wore in 1988. No thanks.

First and last Gig with actual band February 2020...
Since then no possibility to play live in Germany.
Before I played anout 60 or 70 Gigs with my former Bands.

I've played live pretty constantly for most of my adult life, anywhere from 1 to around 8 gigs a month. Of course, haven't done anything in the last year. I'm not sure if I'm going to go back to gigging... early 60's and not sure what direction life will go - my wife and I want to travel more and long trips make it hard to be committed to a band. I still really enjoy playing for people, like others have said the interchange of energy is really fun. I'd probably be cool just having a bunch of people to jam with, even if we didn't really go for any gigs. Playing music alone at home is fun, but just not the same.

Played live pretty consistently previous 13 years or so before the pandemic and 7 or 8 gigs in 2020. I have had a few so far this year. Many more hopefully on the way. Ironically, I believe I caught COVID during a gig Oct 31, 2020.

I play whenever I feel like it, and only then. I don't play for anyone else's enjoyment, no gigs, no performing monkey for friends and family, just me.

Never really had the opportunity. Spent most of my guitar playing life working 60-80 hours a week supporting my family. But I do enjoy it when people who would hear me play say "You should join a band!"

Now my 3d Band.
1st was 10-15 Gigs per year.
2nd was 6-8 Gigs per year.
3d actual and nearly new band only 1 Gig February 2020 just shortly before Covid in Germany forces all events to stop.

Now recoding new songs with the FM3.
So easy and good sounding I've never got before.

I have zero interest in playing live anymore. Trying to find dedicated, non-egomaniac band members who actually learn the songs and have the gear is more stress than its worth. Also, I'm 50. No local band that does original music is going to be interested in someone my age. At best, I'd hook up with some dad rock band that does 70s, 80s and 90s covers. Woohoo, I can get up on stage with a bunch of over-the-hill geezers and muddle through "Pour Some Sugar On Me" at some run-down dive where the owner doesn't want to pay and the audience is a bunch of drunk grandmas and grandpas still trying to fit into spandex and wearing the same denim jackets they wore in 1988. No thanks.

Totally agree with the 1st part. I quit largely because of musicians who were far too proud of their meager talents.

1/2 way agree with a 'dad band'. I'll poke around after all get the jab.

I have my first all electric show in over a year on Saturday. Its an indoor socially distanced show so we will see how it goes. We played an acoustic outdoor gig last September which was great but I much prefer playing electric. Can't wait!

Just played our first no-Covid protocols gig and it was glorious. Near full house and a dance floor full of dancers. No masks...... YEEESSSS! 🎸🤟🏼🎸. YMMV

Over the past five years I've recorded seven full-length albums and played guest on a few more. The last club show I played was in 1993, with a really terrible garage band I was in. None of use had tuners and we had cheap Peavey and Marshall solid state amps. Last time I played live was around 2019 with a community college guitar ensemble.

WOW....... Gigging sounds like it lost its fun factor for you long ago. I am still having a blast and our band still draws very well. When it ceases to be fun for me or the crowds dry up I will hang it up but that time looks far away at the moment. I do feel lucky I have been playing with the same dedicated musicians for years which minimizes the bullshit. I am 54 by the way. Still enjoy learning new songs and trying to keep it fresh.

Back
Top Bottom