How many here are gluten-free or organic vegan for their guitar?

Are you gluten-free or organic vegan for their guitar?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Partially

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gong8659

Inspired
I'm doing a poll to find out how many musicians here have gone gluten-free or organic vegan to maintain good arm health in order to pursue their music pain-free?

***EDIT: Just to keep things separated, the poll is for guitar related diet choice only, but comments can be for any reason. All opinions and personal stories welcome.

Last edited:
That's a confusing poll. I'd vote except I'm afraid it doesn't apply. I'm, gluten free, but not because of guitar -- I don't think.

If giving up a good old fashioned American cheeseburger means I play pain free, I'll take two Vicodin and work through the pain!

I'm an omnivore and the only time I've had pain playing is when I had a nasty case of tendinitis, which was not caused by meat or gluten, but straining my elbow.

A couple of months ago I changed my diet mainly cutting out breads, pasta and rice. This has certainly vastly reduced gluten intake but not sure if it is 100% free.

Anyway one of the positive benefits of this was that some inflammation in my left hand has gone.

Yeah. I have this thing where every once in awhile my left hand gets numb after playing for 20 minutes or so. When I do some back stretching it goes away. But I also started a gluten free diet around the same time. So maybe that also helped reduce the issue. I noticed undeniable improvement in health and energy levels.

Yeah. I have this thing where every once in awhile my left hand gets numb after playing for 20 minutes or so. When I do some back stretching it goes away. But I also started a gluten free diet around the same time. So maybe that also helped reduce the issue. I noticed undeniable improvement in health and energy levels.

I think both probably help and work together.

I didn't do a strict gluten-free diet, I did a very low carb diet for a while. Just meat and veggies and fruit - no starchy foods (including grains). It was amazing how good I felt. It's just so hard to maintain in the culture we live in. It was very hard to go into a restaurant and stay on your diet (to say nothing of getting your spouse to go along with the crazy food fad thing).

I'm sure it's wheat that causes muscle/joint pain and since I stopped eating it the pain has mostly gone. If I cheat and eat bread I certainly suffer for it the next day. The Paleo diet works great for me and as scorch says sometimes it's difficult to go into a restaurant and stay on the diet. My favourite is the Sunday Carvery, I get a choice of meat and help myself to as much veg as I can excluding potatoes of course. So while not moving to the Paleo diet for guitar purposes it has certainly helped my finger joints and arm pains which in turn has increased my playing enjoyment, just a pity it hasn't helped me play better.

I'm gluten free for my general health, not necessarily for my guitar playing.

I've been following an upgraded paleo diet since Jan 2013, guided by Dave Aspry and his Bulletproof diet.
Lost 30lbs quiclky and kept it off all year so far.

Check out this infographic of the diets guidelines. The idea is to eat foods more on the green side of the infographic and reduce or eliminate foods on the red side.
https://www.betterbabybook.com/diet/

Way more than what I eat I found that periods of unemployment - before the computer days - is good for the body, for my hands. Not lifting heavy objects or sitting for hours behind a desk etc. etc.

I have to be Gluten Free because I have Celiac Disease. I found out I had it when I was about 25 years old and have been on the diet for almost 10 years now. When I was a little kid I used to say my belly button was broken because I had unbearable pain. Right before I found out I had Celiac Disease, I thought I was dying because doctors didn't know what was wrong with me. I was under 100lbs and was in so much pain I couldn't function. I started biding on tons of 7 string guitars on ebay because I figured I wasn't going to be around much longer. I ended up finding awesome deals and bought over 10 new, used & NOS 7 string guitars for under $2000.

I live in Rochester, NY and we have a grocery store chain called Wegmans that has the best selection, prices and tasting Gluten Free food. Unless Wegmans expands to other states, I'm stuck here for life.

Another great feature about the Axe-Fx II is that it's Gluten Free!

Gunter glieben glauchen gluten

Just say you need it and if you need it
Say yeah!

Heh heh heh heh
Now listen to me
I'm Burnin', Burnin', I got the fever
I know for sure, there ain't no cure
So feel it, don't fight it, go with the flow
Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme one more gluten for the road

Whole lot of stooopid in the OP.
There is zero evidence to imply that being gluten free or organic vegan will improve 'arm health' for the purpose of guitar playing.

If you have celiac disease then you will have a better life being gluten free and that will make those individuals better players because they won't be shitting themselves all the time and can spend more time playing guitar.

For the rest of us -> no effect.

My guitar is definitely not Vegan. It's bitten me before, frequently eats my fingernails, and given enough time in a day, chews on my fingers.

:lol :lol :lol

I'm neither vegan or gluden free, but I'm a nice guy (and I adore Marsupilamis!!)......and I gonna die someday in the future (as we all have to someday)

Back
Top Bottom