How many have gone full circle with the Axe? Normal > FRFR > back ?

Georgy

Inspired
This magical little black box really is something special isn't it.. I mean, what can't it do?!

I've been an Axe-ii user for 18 or so months now and I reckon I've done it all.... mostly!

I've done (for both home and band-use):
  1. Axe ii + solid state power amp > normal cab
  2. Axe ii + solid state power amp > FRFR cab
  3. Axe ii + active FRFR
  4. Axe ii + valve power amp > normal cab (really digging this at the moment)
  5. Axe ii + valve power amp > normal cab + FRFR cab
  6. 4CM

Suffice to say, I've tried it all!!

Just curious to know from the Fractal Brotherhood out there.. who's doing what?!

Who's done the 'normal' (non-FRFR thing), then gone FRFR, then gone back to non-FRFR?

Basically, who's gone full circle and is reverting back to a particular style.. or use type?!

I've used my Axe Fxii for years with tube Poweramp and cabs and have been FRFR for maybe 6 months. I mic'd up my amp and cab setup and compared it to my FRFR setup and the FRFR setup was so much better that I decided to stay with FRFR. I hooked up my old rig the other day and it is beefy but I like the FRFR better so I think I'm done. Now experimenting with FRFR cabs. I have two Friedman's and two CLR'S so I'm just about set now, I think.

And based on that pic that you put up recently... your rig, that massive rig that you've got... THAT'S HUUUGE!! :D

Dimebag would've been impressed!!

My cover band doesn't put anything through the PA but vocals and keyboards (despite by long-time pleas) so I just run through SS power amp and guitar cab on stage. Sounds great. Sometimes I run a line to the PA when nobody's looking. ;)

For me, the CLR are tight and defined. The Friedman's are bigger and looser sounding. I like the CLR a little better for what I play which is chunky metal like Pantera stuff. They are both really good so it's up to the individual. I've read where some like the Friedman's over the CLR and vise versa. Some of it might be the room, guitars, pickups,styles and such that make a difference.

For me, the CLR are tight and defined. The Friedman's are bigger and looser sounding. I like the CLR a little better for what I play which is chunky metal like Pantera stuff. They are both really good so it's up to the individual. I've read where some like the Friedman's over the CLR and vise versa. Some of it might be the room, guitars, pickups,styles and such that make a difference.

Fair point here REDD.. I'm not gonna keeping harping on about the ASM vs the CLR - but for me, I do prefer the ASM. And it's interesting that you mention PANTERA, because every single over-driven sound that I had coming out of the CLR when I had it, was very PANTERA-esque! Couldn't dial it out!! But that was at firmware 18 or something, and I would like to think my dailing in skills have somewhat improved haha!! :p:D

Fair point here REDD.. I'm not gonna keeping harping on about the ASM vs the CLR - but for me, I do prefer the ASM. And it's interesting that you mention PANTERA, because every single over-driven sound that I had coming out of the CLR when I had it, was very PANTERA-esque! Couldn't dial it out!! But that was at firmware 18 or something, and I would like to think my dailing in skills have somewhat improved haha!! :p:D
I forgot in my list at the end that IR's make a difference as well. Too bad we can't get together sometime and rock some gear and beer.

Loving the Active CLR's. Haven't turned on my tube amps in years.

Yep, LOVE the CLRs!

I run a dry amp feed from the AxeII to a Carvin power amp and out to a Marshall 4x12, then send a stereo feed with effects and cab modeling out to the active CLR wedges...... w\d\w = Total Sonic Bliss !

Back
Top Bottom