How many expression pedals are you using?

I have an FCB 1010 with two pedals, which I use in various ways. I play rock/metal, and for patches where I need a 'clean' tone, I attach a pedal to a filter block and use it throttle the input to the amp block, kinda like rolling back the volume knob on the guitar, but easier and more precise (the pedal at the heel position isn't zero, it's the level that allows enough signal for a 'clean' sound). If I don't need a clean tone, I make the heel zero.

I usually use the other for wah or to bring an effect like pitch shifting in or out. I find the pedals to be easier to use than on/off buttons while playing the songs, and I don't get out of sync like I used to on Unchained punching the flange in and out. On that patch, I have two flangers, one attached to each pedal; both reset the flange at the heel position so the flange sweep is the same every time, but one is 180 out of sync. So one sweeps up and one sweeps down. Solves the sync problem for that song that Danny Danzi and others have discussed here on the forums.

On Fire Woman, by the Cult, I use my 'clean' volume pedal as above, but I also use the same pedal to go from heavy flange/phase/delay and clean rollback in the heel position to no effects and wide open amp on the toe position. Makes for a really nice transition between those tones.

So I make two work. A third would let me be more consistent, i.e. pedal three is always volume (0 to full), but I have enough gear to lug as it is.

I use just a zen pedal. Make me one with everything. It is the Fractal EV-1 pedal. I used to use 4, but the zen approach is easier for me and meets my needs.

I use 3.
1. Multiple parameter control per preset/GR-55 control
2. Master volume
3. 85% -100% volume/wah

I use two EV-1: one dedicated "analog volume"; I don't use wireless and hate a long cable running from the guitar back to the AXE, plus this pedal acts just like a volume knob. EV-1 #2 is for wah and anything else on a per-patch basis.

4--
1 for Volume
1 for Wah (or filter sweep)
1 for Drive boost
1 for Delay level

Similar ... 4;
- although the one on increasing amp input (usually I utilize the scene controllers for this) is a wild card e.g. Drop tune/pitch, rotary, etc.

3-
EXP1 for Volume always
EXP2 for variety of things....changes with delays, rotary, pitch, etc
EXP3 Wah. Almost always..there may be a few where something is used in place of it, but rare

2 Mission, one with switch usually for wha when switched on and for volume (auto-engaging) when off, the other spring loaded (auto-engaging), for many things like whammy pedal, delay or reverb time and/or mix.

On Fire Woman, by the Cult, I use my 'clean' volume pedal as above, but I also use the same pedal to go from heavy flange/phase/delay and clean rollback in the heel position to no effects and wide open amp on the toe position. Makes for a really nice transition between those tones.

That's a great song, but its the poster child for pedalboard tapdancing in that middle break where it goes back to the intro. Sure love the Axe for this simplicity now.

I have 4, and have been working to standardize them more. Not all are active for all presets, but I usually have:

1 - Wah or volume (patch dependent)
2 - Some sort of modulation (e.g., flange)
3 - Some "edge" -- typically a couple db and a bit of delay useful for pushing solos
4 - More extreme delay or other effects

I am finding that using expression pedals simply to activate a couple things (e.g., boost the cab, turn the phaser on) is easier than hitting a couple of switches or using scenes, but that's just me!

Two Roland EV-5's, which I use for whatever parameters I happen to want to tweak in a given preset. Which almost never happen to be volume or wah. Most of the time I get by with just one pedal, it's rare that I actually have to use both.

I guess you get used to what you have. If you got one, you learn to make do with one, if you got four you'll find things for all four to do.

I use 4 - but two of them aren't 'pedals' - they're rotary expression controllers:

• Mission for permanent Wah
  • EV-1 is for my 'morphing presets', or for rhythm to lead changes or for bringing certain effects in, depending on song
  • I also have two rotary controllers that control the delay level for the 2 delays I use across my presets (one for rhythm, one for lead), so I can set them as I want for any venue to taste. Works great and been using these for a very long time. They were from Mission, but I don't think they make them any more (but you can get such things from folks like This 1 is mine)
I now have an EV-2 that I'm thinking of adding in there somewhere (damn, might need a bigger board!) and ditching the D2 rotary controller, as that one is pretty much always set the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom