How many expression pedals are you using?

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I'm in the process of building a new pedal board around my FX8. I am going back and forth between using 2 or 3 EV-2s. Was thinking I'd use one as a passive volume pedal and then have 2 for wah/expression, but 3 pedals kinda feels like overkill. Thoughts?

I'm in the process of building a new pedal board around my FX8. I am going back and forth between using 2 or 3 EV-2s. Was thinking I'd use one as a passive volume pedal and then have 2 for wah/expression, but 3 pedals kinda feels like overkill. Thoughts?
You realize you posted in the Axe Fx forum, right?

I use 4: Wah, Whammy, Rotary, and one for various things.

Three here.
  1. 'Always 'Volume' (post Amp, pre Delays and Reverbs)
  2. Wha, Delay, Morphing,
  3. Acoustic/Organ sim volume and all Pitch related stuff

None yet lol. Excuse me for highjacking this thread but can't you set up 1 exp pedal to do different things between different presets? Say preset 1 it's a wah and then in preset 2 a volume, preset 3 a pitch thing?
I always wondered this....

None yet lol. Excuse me for highjacking this thread but can't you set up 1 exp pedal to do different things between different presets? Say preset 1 it's a wah and then in preset 2 a volume, preset 3 a pitch thing?
Read my post again.....;) My expression pedals are doing more than one thing.

I need control over more than one thing in some songs/scenes.

Last edited:

Yes, you can do that. What if you have a preset where you want a wah, a volume, AND a pitch thing? Why move presets when you can just move your foot ;)

As to the OP's question, I only have two: a Mission SP-1 I use for wah (I prefer the shorter throw for wah), and an EV-1 I use for everything else. Though I've been contemplating getting another EV-1 or an EV-2 and having one dedicated for volume swell type stuff, and the other for controlling modulation mix/speed/pitch type duties

Yes, you can do that. What if you have a preset where you want a wah, a volume, AND a pitch thing? Why move presets when you can just move your foot ;)

As to the OP's question, I only have two: a Mission SP-1 I use for wah (I prefer the shorter throw for wah), and an EV-1 I use for everything else. Though I've been contemplating getting another EV-1 or an EV-2 and having one dedicated for volume swell type stuff, and the other for controlling modulation mix/speed/pitch type duties
Awesome thanks for answering my question!

Two (FCB1010), but I need moar!

Each pedal does different things depending on the preset. Sometimes a single exp simultaneously controls multiple things, like crossfades in inverse directions at different slopes.

I have three on hand, and two plugged in, but am only using one at the moment. For wah.

I'm trying to find a good use for the other two. I've tried things like linking them to a pitch control, echo feedback, echo delay or reverb decay, but haven't yet hit on anything compelling enough to keep.

A long time ago (in my tube amp days, which ended about a decade ago) I sometimes tried to use a volume pedal. I always found that to be a lot less precise than simply turning a knob on the guitar or amp.

I'm currently running two Mission pedals: A dedicated volume, and one for everything else, depending on the preset. I use it for wah, delay mix or feedback, rotary speaker speed, pitch (to blend in harmonies), and amp gain (with the main output level simultaneously controlled on a reverse curve, so as the amp gain increases, the volume doesn't change). I have a third Mission pedal that I'm not using, but haven't had a big enough need for it to justify getting a larger pedal board. (My current board fits the MFC-101 and two Mission pedals with no extra room.)

Last edited:
I'm using two:
One is always for volume changes between rhythm and solo.
The other one is depending on the preset, two are with WAH, some for blending the usually dryer rhythm-sound into the FX-solo-sound, most presets (especially clean or crunch sounds) for blending in more preamp drive without changing the volume (two controllers, one for DRIVE and one for output of the amp block with opposite direction; so DRIVE up, OUTPUT down).

I'm using 2 EV-1's. Go between volume for swells, pitch, delay feedback and sometimes wah in various patches. Thinking of adding a Mission for dedicated wah as sometimes the long throw of the Fractals put me off.

For the Mac 101 3 pedals ernie ball
Volume
Wawa
Expression(mix/delà/wammyetc

For MY ax 8 2 pedals mission
1/ vol(two outpout
1/wawa or other(3 outpout)

Four on the floor!
Volume
Wah
Synth (external) volume
Wildcard (pitch, delay mix, rotary speed, pan between 2 amps, pan between 2 distortions, etc.)

Currently running 2 Dunlop Volume X as my expression pedals. Had to adjust the sweep of my wah block to get the feel right. I use one as a master out volume, and the second as my EXT1 modifier. This way I can set it for wah, mixer controls, input gain, or anything else I need to control. The only reason I don't have 4 pedals is that I create most of my patches based around the song so having 4 would be clutter on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom