How many expression pedals and how youre using them?

I thought about having 2 but after I applied what Marco Fanton teaches in the video above with the multiplexer (coupled with the heel down tuner video) I can’t really see a need for more than one for what I do (currently play covers from Muse, Alter Bridge, Velvet Revolver, Bon Jovi, etc).

View attachment 125475
Three.
1. Main volume
2. Expression - frequently either does rotary/dry/chorus or a 3 or 4 range sound morph with (usually) lead sound at toe-down
3. Wah

There was a fourth, but it got demoted to a big knob - still tweakable with a toe, but generally a set and forget at 50% for less frequent tweakage....

There are also two faders and four switches on MIDI and 7 switches via FC6 stand-in switches and FM9 pedal jacks that all do various things....

FM9 Pedals
1. Amp boost via CS1
2. Various, usually a drive via CS2 or a channel toggle for the lead amp
3. Various, usually a drive via CS3 or a channel toggle for the lead amp

FC6 switches
1. View toggle / Preset +1
2. View Toggle / Preset -1
3. Momentary delay runaway
4. Momentary "Dramamine" flange

MIDI switches
1. Tap tempo
2. Momentary Expression - usually a 20dB mid boost before the amp(s)
3. Momentary Expression - usually rotary speed
4. Latching Expression - usually rotary speed

MIDI faders
1. F/M compensation - helps somewhat un-FUBAR your tone if too middy or too boomy/sizzly
2. Delay wetness
20230815_233622.jpg
Back to 4 pedals. My toe is not talented enough to manipulate the tiny fader on the left end.

20240101_224106.jpg

How do you set up your morph presets?
Probably morphing sound within a preset is what he meant. I literally do it in every preset by manipulating effect block mix params and effect input level params via controllers/modifiers. It's pretty amazing what you can achieve with just one expression pedal....

I use 6 of them (studio setup only), in a hybrid tube amp with 4CM and modeled amps with AxeFxIII, in Wet/Dry/Wet configuration.
#1 for volume swells, i.e. controls volume level into amp FX loop
#2 for cross-fade between real amp+cab and modeled amp for the Dry channel
#3 to control the blend of Wet versus Dry (as cross-fade from all dry to all wet)
#4 to control a Master Reverb located at the end of the entire signal chain
#5 as a conventional expression pedal to control one or more FX parameters
#6 to control a one octave pitch shift to force my guitar to simulate (and hopefully reach in real) a harmonic leaping, which is when feedback from a real (and loud) amp pushes a guitar to ring a single lead note one octave higher. Sort of like a very natural sounding whammy effect.

One for volume, one for wah, and one for drive knob on a drive pedal. But these days… none because I can’t be bothered and just use guitar volume because fractal responds so well to it.

I switched to 2.

1. Auto-engage wah (bypass on toe down).
2. Auto-engage volume (bypass on toe down).

I like a Wah occasionally, but not enough to put real effort into it. The Fractal wah (and especially the controls for the curve) are actually what made me like playing with a wah, unlike the crybabies and voxes that I kept buying and selling basically since I started playing.

The volume pedal is because I like the violyn-y sound of pinkie swells, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get my pinky to do that. It's probably at least partially because I'm left handed but play guitar right handed. I seriously tried to learn the technique almost daily for >6 months and couldn't get a sound I liked. Learning it with a volume pedal took like a minute to beat that amount of progress.

Also, I use really "crappy" EH expression pedals that have really short travel. I've had "better" ones. IDK why, but they work for me.

I use 2 cheap pedals (about 15€ each).
I rarely use them but I still need them. One for the wha on auto enrage and one on general volume.

One volume attached to a Voes MX5, and another directly to FM3 exp input for wah (that second one occasionally also for other effects mix or control.

I have one expression pedal. In some scenes I use it for tremolo depth and in others to gradually shift from clean to gritty to dirty (as the control for modifiers on several amp block settings such as gain, level, treble etc ).

Back
Top Bottom