How many don't use reverb at all for live?

It's a great question. For live playing, unless the reverb is integral to the sound of the amp and genre (like a vintage Blackface Fender) I don't use it anymore in presets. If I want to add some space to the sound I sometimes use a dotted 8th note delay and just blend a little of it in wet to dry, to add some space but keep it out of the way as well -- the ducking control can help.

I don't usually use reverb on my riffing tones.
The rooms I play in already have their own reverb.
I want to keep my sound as true to the real thing as possible.

Every venue has already it's own reverb/room response, that's why I didn't use any additional, but delay yes, it adds to guitar solo a bit of space and clarity.

I don't play huge concert halls. Only about 700 seats. The only tones I don't use reverb on are clean funk parts. Otherwise I use a bit of reverb with 120 ms of predelay. This simulates the slap against the back wall from live recordings I loved growing up with guitars being played really loud (Think UFO's Strangers in the Night album or Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same). It gives the impression (at least to me) that I'm much louder than i am.

I never use reverb when I play anything by Dick Dale or The Ventures.

If you believe that I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Best trick to using reverb is to set HPF to 600hz. Then you can slather on as much as you want and it will never get muddy.

I use that trick for more than just guitars.

Their guitar tech are in the forum as @Zaemo and @Ex-Pat. Look through their posts, and you should be able to find it. I belive the title of the thread was behind the scenes ro backstage or something like that.
I think I found it:
I view the cab sound as an integral part of the sound rather than an FX block to change the "mood" of the guitar sound. I haven't spent any time on the new room verbs yet though. Reverb is difficult in a live setting because it never seems to translate very well in venues that change every day. Most larger venues have reverb that can't be controlled so it's easy to have a patch with reverb just get lost in the mix. I will use reverb however as part of a multi-effect patch.

I never use reverb as part of my basic sound, only as an FX when required. And also because my presets already push the DSP envelope, so adding a DSP hog like reverb to that would basically kill most of my presets.

Back
Top Bottom