How many db boost for lead solos?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Almost all my presets use a 3 db boost for leads / solos, but it now seems like it's not quite enough... I know, I know, trust your ears and do what sounds good, but I'm curious whether there is a "standard" or some kind of rule of thumb or common practice for x amount of boost for leads. I use a null filter for boosts, and also crank up the mids a bit (to cut through more). Thanks for any input

I do 4db. Mainly because I'm mainly playing rhythm and my guitar is already a bit lower in the mix.
But the few solos I do get, I want to make sure I'm heard in the mix.

between 2.5 and 4dB for me (depending on the particular song ...)
Also depending on your tone it may vary. I once posted a video in one of these threads about the worst guitar tones ever. It's gotten me listening to music differently now. If you're playing for yourself, you'll likely choose a mid-range heavy tone that's pleasing to the ear. Guess what? In a full band that gets lost in the mix so you'll need > dbs to compensate. If you utilize a more treble-centric tone, you'll cut through the mix and won't need so much. I can't recall all of the songs in the vid, but Keith Richard's tone comes to mind especially.

I'd say 2.5 to 4 db is a great range to focus on.

I go 4.5dB. Lead should generally be as loud as the vocals were in the chorus, IMHO....

Good point!

Sometimes depending on the song the level can be a bit under the lead vocals if the tone is dialed in for more emphasis on mids and glassy highs. It cuts through ideally.

Back
Top Bottom