How many care if the Theaters close permently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some fond memories of theaters as a kid. First movie I ever saw in the theater was Star Trek II Wrath of Khan. I was around 7 and they gave out posters at the end of movie. I freaked out with the slug in ears screen near the beginning and sure enough that's the poster i get.

I rarely go to theaters as an adult. Once a year maybe and select movie. I'm picky with theater as well. I can't stand noisy/cryin babies and such. I like the VIP style theater where you get large recliner chairs, lots of arm room and can order liqour and food. That's part of the whole experience. pricey but kinda fun once a year.

I watch movies mostly at home; much prefer the comfort here. I would like to see a return of drive-ins. throw a matress/pillows in back of the truck with a few adult pops in a cooler.boom. I'm all for that.

beyond everything mentioned, I hate to see any industry go under, as the ripple effects will always have far reaching implications.

The change from theaters that used film projectors and large Altec VOTT sound systems housed in unique, spacy, art deco style to cookie cutter corporation crap ripped the soul from the movie theater experience. But I still like movie theaters even though my system is better at home. Getting out....is good. :)

The change from theaters that used film projectors and large Altec VOTT sound systems housed in unique, spacy, art deco style to cookie cutter corporation crap ripped the soul from the movie theater experience. But I still like movie theaters even though my system is better at home. Getting out....is good. :)
I rememer seeing DancesWith Wolves at Cine Capri in PHX. The huge, slightly curved curved screen did wonders for that movie. They eventually tore it down, and now another theatre in north Scottsdale bears the name. Looks like one of your cookie-cutter places from the freeway, but who knows?

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys go to crappy theaters. If they survive, when it's all done - find a good Dolby Cinema.

Agree with you - an old-school movie house is great. But even still, the modern ones would be fine for me if people were respectful, turned off their phones, didn't talk, etc. It's really like concerts now - the music or the movie is a background to their experience and if that experience happens to interfere with the fact that other people actually came to hear the movie or concert, too bad.

Every now and then I love a good Oscar quality movie in the theater.

Going to the movies for many is like going to bars when times are rough. It takes the mind away from the problems ...even if just temporary. Sticky floors are not even noticed.

This pandemic took that all away in one shot. Bars and theaters are all still closed here.

No doubt we are seeing unprecedented times and events. Man made and natural disasters abound and international tension is very high. Celestial events as well! That Japan earthquake and resulting tsunami a few years back was surreal! ....things since have gotten progressively worse...fires, constant “once in a thousand years flood”, storms and even constant meteor phenomena...

Constant real life Hollywood disaster movies in the news!

uh....can someone pass the popcorn...and you over there...you’re blocking the screen!

I wouldn't miss them at all. My home theater has better sound than most movie theaters, and the popcorn is like 50 cents a bag. My wife and I used to go maybe once or twice a year out of inertia more than anything. There are only a handful of movies released every year that are really worth watching, and only a minority of those benefits from a large screen and good sound. And I have both the large screen and good sound without leaving my house.

Bars are open in WA though. I've already gone a couple of times. Not dead yet. I did miss the bars to an irrational degree. I'm not a huge drinker or a huge fan of eating out, but now I can't get enough. I suppose it's for the best - those folks need the money, and I have the money. I'll rein it in once things recover.

Three pre-teens and two dogs -- my house is not the neatest, that's for sure! :D

...just bustin your ballz. I agree with everything you said about going to the theaters , with kids , their friends , and not being the cell phone police , etc.
The home projector ( and wireless speakers ) I picked up , is pretty sweet. Outdoor fun for the teenagers.

Shut them all down as far as I care. its sad how theaters, sporting events and concerts charge you more for food and drinks then the actual event that you paid to watch. 15 bucks for a 10 oz cup of beer? really ! and they wander why people sneek there own food and drinks in these places. Hmmmm I wander why.

Shut them all down as far as I care. its sad how theaters, sporting events and concerts charge you more for food and drinks then the actual event that you paid to watch. 15 bucks for a 10 oz cup of beer? really ! and they wander why people sneek there own food and drinks in these places. Hmmmm I wander why.
it's because that's where they make a profit. Same reason a band charges you twice as much for a shirt as the ticket....

Agree with you - an old-school movie house is great. But even still, the modern ones would be fine for me if people were respectful, turned off their phones, didn't talk, etc. It's really like concerts now - the music or the movie is a background to their experience and if that experience happens to interfere with the fact that other people actually came to hear the movie or concert, too bad.

Have a care. Smartphones and social media by design are as addictive as heroine and crack cocaine. Chances are, even if they did fully want to watch their movie most people won't be able to resist pulling out their smartphones when they feel it vibrate or it makes that familiar ping. And I have to confess, mea culpa too. We're all getting Pavlov conditioned in that regard.

Every now and then I love a good Oscar quality movie in the theater.

God I hope not. Oscar movies have always been pretentious arty farty movies. Give me a nice shoot them up sci fi action movie over pretentious drama any day. I'll take Aliens, Predator, OT Star Wars, Star Trek TWOK, LOTR ANY TIME over 99.9% of all the movies that won best Oscar. With Return of the King being that 0.01% exception.

Going to the movies for many is like going to bars when times are rough. It takes the mind away from the problems ...even if just temporary. Sticky floors are not even noticed.

That is true. It's not surprising that a lot of both good cinema and popcorn flicks came out in the 30's.

who needs movies for entertainment when we have the fu@kin' news!!! which i can't stand to watch btw, but the writers are so good! just look at the reaction they're getting. :eek: :rolleyes:

who needs movies for entertainment when we have the fu@kin' news!!! which i can't stand to watch btw, but the writers are so good! just look at the reaction they're getting. :eek: :rolleyes:

Good writers? I feel like the writing is on par with that of soap operas. The major plotpoints are advertized way in advanced, the acting is equally poor and yet somehow the masses lap it up.

I think a lot of us may have left the main demographic that is desired by movie theaters. They used to make for a good date night but these days I'm probably a candidate for their early bird show time -- the one where they turn the volume up a little louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom