How many care if the Theaters close permently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could make money if the actors weren't demanding so much money. Actors seem to think they're entitled to outrageous salaries (just like CEOs). Then they preach to us how we're supposed to live our lives. Same with athletes. $100M a year to throw a ball?

Maybe this is finally the catalyst to restore some sanity to the income and wealth disparity.

aw man, you're going to get me started.

Its beyond stupid on so many levels but as long as consumers will pay and support these activities, then what can you do?

Where do you live? It's about $40-50 here for two tickets, drinks, and popcorn. My girlfriend and I actually pretty much stopped going to movies quite some time ago - at least 2 years before the zombie apocalypse. There are so few movies that come out now that are worth paying for the big screen. I just looked at the list of movies for 2019 on Wikipedia, we saw 3 or 4 of those in the theater - a few years ago it would have been well over a dozen.

When Hollywood regurgitates things like Shaft, Jumanji, Footloose, etc. there's not much left to say. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the last Star Wars sequel trilogy, there's no denying that it was the same basic story as the original sequel. It's a shame that they ignored all of the Star Wars books that have been written over the years, there were some great stories - much better than what we got.

I'm now located in a small mountain town in Arizona. But, I remember when I went on vacation out in CA, the price to take in a movie and get a couple of snacks and drinks was insulting. It was just insulting. The place was deserted, and I wouldn't award a solitary dime for anybody to figure out why. ...I would never pay that kind of money again to go to a movie theater.

Here, in town ..and I use that term loosely, We now have a Big City movie theater, and refreshingly reasonable prices.

Maybe it's just me, but it's still kinda nice to throw your arm around your girl, and she snuggle up to you at a movie theater - married thirty years or not.. Still kinda nice.

I don't (didn't) watch every movie that was shown here. Though I do Like a couple of the franchises I'm not a big fan of the usual Hollywood fare. I wouldn't go to an X-Man or (another) Star Wars movie (for example).. I watched all those I have cared to. Due to being released back-to-back I just got burned out on them.

But I like a good scary movie in a Big Theater.. and some of the Oldies too, which they show here.

I have faith.. that things will eventually heal. In time things usually do. ..And that I can go to a movie Theater again, one day. I do enjoy going.

I had a small taste of this when a dumb gag of mine went viral late last year. For about a week and a half my face was all over the internet and people were up my ass for interview requests left and right. Part of it was extremely gratifying, seeing so many people enjoy something I did...but it was also pretty exhausting with the amount of attention I was getting every day..If I were an actual celebrity I'd imagine I'd either really enjoy it or just become a paranoid recluse.

Also, they need to stop making superhero movies.
because they aren't your preference? plenty of people enjoy them a great deal.

I would miss going to Dolby Cinema's - those are the best ones.

Or the IMAX in Webb chappel Dallas, which still uses 70mm (rarely) for Nolan's films.

I'd be fine if theaters didn't open anymore. Of course, at home you can't even get close to the visual and audio experience of the big screen. Which you need to sell the action flicks that also require that you turn off your brain.

Movie theaters started dying the moment HDTV's and 5-7.1 sound systems became common and affordable.

The Theater Experience:
*have to walk over sticky floors to get to your off-center seat so you can watch the film at a weird angle
*can't pause if you need to take care of something
*other people talk/crunch chip bags/play with their MagLite-bright cell phones/host corporate conference calls/hoot at the screen/loudly ooh, ahh, or whoa at tense moments meant to be silent
*...and all that luxury costs a small fortune, ultimately for a product you're not even certain you'll like, and that you very well might not like at all.

Big TV's and multi-channel sound systems in my own home for me, thanks.

I'm torn.

I don't actually think movie theaters provide a better viewing experience over my living room. In my living room the food is better, the view is unobstructed, the bathrooms are clean and there are no lines. Theaters sound better though -- I refuse to play the arms race that is home theater setups. I've got a sub, a center channel and two front speakers and that's it. Works for me.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut the act of taking my kids to the movies at a theater is utterly incomparable to watching a movie in our house. They can't wander off and do something else. No phones/screens is enforced by someone else so I don't have to be the heavy. The occasional "you can bring a friend too, my treat" bit of spoiling I get to do for them feels good.

There's a different amount of excitement that's present with "seeing a movie in the theater" and I like that. I would miss that if theaters went completely away.

The boys and I have been waiting patiently for the new Top Gun to drop so we could go see it in IMAX. I have such a deep love for the original and, because they're my kids, now they do too. It won't be quite the same to watch it on the couch.

Some things just look amazing on a big screen. I really enjoyed getting to see some of my favorite movies, movies like Bladerunner, on gigantic movie screens back in the day. Before they chopped up all the theaters into 20 smaller screens. Since that doesn't really exists anymore, except for some select art theaters, or specials like Grauman's Chinese Theater; I don't really care if most of these theaters go away.

I don't have an amazing setup at home. I do have a nice OLED screen, speakers, etc, so I'm not complaining. I know people that do the whole home theater movie room thing, but that's not me. It is really rare for me not to be doing something else while watching a movie. Being able to hit the pause button to go take a leak or get snacks/drinks makes it 1000% better than any theater. Not having to listen to assholes talking during the movie, or playing with their cellphone is just a bonus.

We have an awesome newly built movie theater (Violet Crown) that has about 30 great micro brews from around the country on tap, pretty good food, and lets you take it into the theater (in real glasses) to watch the movie. I would miss that place greatly if it closed.

They could make money if the actors weren't demanding so much money. Actors seem to think they're entitled to outrageous salaries (just like CEOs). Then they preach to us how we're supposed to live our lives. Same with athletes. $100M a year to throw a ball?

Maybe this is finally the catalyst to restore some sanity to the income and wealth disparity.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit political but it's my forum so... :p

I personally hate going to the movie theater but my wife likes it. I prefer to watch movies at home where I can pause it when I need to take a leak.
IMAX or Drive in for the experience...other than that I much prefer at house.

We have an awesome newly built movie theater (Violet Crown) that has about 30 great micro brews from around the country on tap, pretty good food, and lets you take it into the theater (in real glasses) to watch the movie. I would miss that place greatly if it closed.

There is one of the new fancy "dinner and a movie" kinds of theaters that opened up here. Two people are probably in for $80+ with food and drinks plus tickets. Hard for me to imagine any movie being worth that, but since it's $50-$60 for the local mall shitbox IMAX, it's probably worth it for a better experience.

Actually, reading the above makes me think, fuck movie theaters. That's ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see what the movie studios need to do to make their billions with just streaming/disc sales.

I would rather they just go direct release and rent it. Even at $25-$35 it is cheaper than taking the family to the movies and getting that shitty salted-to-death popcorn(and I love salt). Comfort of own home and better food/bev. I wish Drive In's would make a come back as that is a fun and different experience!
Lat time I went to a theatre was to see Get Smart in 2006.

Done with sticky floors, screaming babies, $12 popcorn, etc.

Live sports and music concerts are different IMO. I think the studios would profit more, by going direct, with all things considered, TV/Movie content is consumed differently now and folks expect convenience. You don't talk during a movie, but you do during a concert or football game. The interaction is completely different.

People will pay what is it, €15 in my neck of the woods, for the experience of of a movie theater, with the big screen and the dolby surround audio that can give Manowar a run for their money. $25 to 35 to pay for a blockbuster in my home? NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! I wouldn't even pay that much for Netflix and then I can have all the movies and series I want. I'll wait for the movie to become part of a regular streaming service or sail the High Seas if I really wanted to see it. Especially for a lame superhero movie. There are just not going to be the same number of people that will pay this much to see a movie direct as there are who will go to a theater.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit political but it's my forum so... :p

I personally hate going to the movie theater but my wife likes it. I prefer to watch movies at home where I can pause it when I need to take a leak.

Ignorance is bliss. With celebs I learned that the less you know about them and their idea(l)s, the better off you will be enjoying their work. It's just that its become next to impossible to put your fingers in your ears and shout NANANANANA to drown them out as their movies have become part of their preaching. Thankfully we have one counter to their insanity. Don't like it, don't go see their movies or buy their music.

Although I'm not sure they are still getting their big salaries though. How many actors are there still who can ask anything they want because they know that when their name is on the movie poster people will come? I can't think of any. Maybe Tom Cruise? And who would have thought that a scientologist would be one of the more sane celebs these days? Johnny Depp maybe if his name is on a Pirates of the Caribbean movie, because a PotC movie without Johnny Depp is like Star Wars without Han, Luke and Leia?

The weird thing is, they all clearly see themselves as 'on the side of the people' and your average everyday person seems to have been suckered in by that and believes the same thing. I've never understood why it's horrible for "big business" to have so much wealth, yet the Hollywood a-holes (writers, directors, actors) all seem to get a free pass.

I reckon its like becoming old. When you are young you don't see yourself ever becoming old, when you get old you don't feel old until your body starts telling you otherwise. You still mostly think and feel like when you were young. Same with these actors. They started with nothing, full of piss and vinegar, power to the people, and then gradually they earn money, adopt crazy lifestyles, but they still think they were the same people they were when they were young and poor. They don't see that they have become part of the elite, part of the system that they railed against as a kid. And how hollow, false and uncaring their words actually sound to the common man.

My wife and I were just talking about this today. I'd care a great deal, I love the experience of going to the theater to see a blockbuster. I don't care how good your home system it is, it can't replace seeing something like a Marvel movie or Jurassic Park on a 100ft Imax screen with a sound system that pins you in your seat. Not to mention the social aspect of enjoying a movie with a crowd of enthusiastic fans.

There is something unique and special in a mass crowd experience that can never be replicated in the comfort of your home. It's not for everyone, and that is okay. We shouldn't all be made into the same shape or form. I reckon for those who hate going to a theater but love to see a new movie when its new being able to stream it at home should be an option available. Same people who like going to theaters shouldn't be denied that experience because some prefer streaming is the way to go.

...was thinking about these actors (musicians, and athletes to some degree) ..Who would want to spend their lives in the limelight, and the press? Constantly harried by scumbag photographers, dangling from trees-all jockeying to get some-form of crotch-shot for some sleazy tabloid; routinely being sued for paternity and other-such BS whatnots.

...Would rather have just enough to be honest, and have a little of the quiet life.. I don’t even like people coming-up to me at the gas station “Oh, You’re that guitar player, ...in that band!” ..I-mean ...Leave me the hell alone. I’m gassing-up my car ffs.

I always found that really weird. People you don’t know rushing over all overly excited to meet you - mainly because I'm just not interesting-enough to get That excited about. And I have never considered myself that good a guitar player.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a “star”. I don’t know how they do it. I'd go mad (short trip though that may be).

That's kinda ironic because becoming a big and famous rock star has been the driving force for the vast majority of musicians who picked up an instrument. It may not have been what they thought it would be, which is why it caused so much self destructive behavior, but it certainly was a motivating force for many to become a musician.

Besides, these days everyone has paparazzi hounding their every step. Google, social media, corporations, governments know everything you do online. Privacy is dead and we all murdered it to get shiny i-Phones or Androids.

The movie theater gets zero of your $12-20 ticket... Hollywood gets all of it.

Only money they make is on the $12 popcorn and $6 drinks

And theaters are big, electric bills are big, rent is big and $200,000+ projectors are not cheap

If they try and get $30 for a new release from people, piracy will just shoot back up. I think a lot of it had been curbed, as most people are fine with streaming services being easy. Sort of like Steam does with games. Anyway, those kinds of prices will have people waiting to snag it online.

I used to go to movies once in a while, but pretty much gave it up a long time ago. Home is so much easier even though the sound can't compare.

One exception was when I lived in Park City (ski town), the library had movies on Fri / Sat nights in their theater which was really nice (it was like a 5 story historic building, not your typical library, hah ;-) ... it was mostly a locals thing where they'd show a lot of non-mainstream stuff like Sundance movies - Sundance of course is held in Park City - outdoorsy/adventure movies, etc and occasionally something more mainstream. Also, since it was run by the city it was only about 7 bucks, and you could buy a punch card at something like 10 for $50. Popcorn was $3, bring your own bowl, free refills... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom