How many care if the Theaters close permently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I would rather they just go direct release and rent it. Even at $25-$35 it is cheaper than taking the family to the movies and getting that shitty salted-to-death popcorn(and I love salt). Comfort of own home and better food/bev. I wish Drive In's would make a come back as that is a fun and different experience!

Content seems to be what they are struggling with at the moment. Everything closed. I have a 170” projector, so I don’t really miss the theater. Getting out of the house is more of it I guess.

It would be a bit of shame, I think.. I do like my movies, and I have a nice home-theater system, but, even-so, me and the wife regularly liked to go to the movies. Used-to, anyway. Probably went to the movies about as much as we went out to eat. In this one horse two-duck town, there's not much to do; but we did have a nice movie theater.

$7.00 for a ticket, twelve bucks for a cartload of popcorn and couple of large drinks, was all pretty-reasonable too. Never too crowded, either. Kinda miss going.

Thing is, they can't make enough money of going direct, even at that price. Even more when you consider that that price would probably also negatively impact DVD-Blu-ray sales. Movies that need to make a billion to start making money, like Rise of Soywalker, could never recoup their production and marketing budget on direct release. Although technically they would no longer need to make a billion, as they can cut out the theaters. It also depends on how many people are going to watch the movie. $25-25 might be cheaper for a family, but for me going alone, or with a friend, ain't gonna happen.

Also, if movie theaters are going to close because of changing habits, where will it end. Maybe people will say, why go to a big stadium to pay overpriced food, drinks and t-shirts when I can watch Metallica live stream back home? Which will be less lucrative for bands, because recording 1 gig for a live stream will in no way generate the same kind of revenue of playing a 100 stadiums. So I reckon while many in the audience would prefer this model, for the studios and musicians it makes perfect sense not to do it. Besides, its way more fun to go out for entertainment then watch it at home. Part of the allure of going out is the leaving the home part. And I hate pop corn anyway. I'll sneak in my own food and drinks.

I rarely go to the movie theater. Mostly because it's essentially a colossal waste of money, since most times I can't make it through an entire movie without falling asleep. Seems to be a family trait. Most of us can't. :grinning: But, the decline in movie quality isn't worth wasting the money on them. The poorly written dialogue, terrible and incoherent story/plotlines and ridiculous over the top action scenes in these movies nowadays make most movies unwatchable for me.

It's sad in that it's a major cultural change, but past that...shrug

...used to be our thing for the family. Wife and two boys. Dinner and a movie. We have been lucky. There’s been a lot of great movies released over the past 8 years.

On a side note , I bought an epson projector and two JBL 300 wireless speakers a few days ago , and it kicks azz. Highly recommended. Big screen outside , fire burning. Pretty nice.
As much as I have enjoyed movies at the theater ,..... a crowded theater Always bugged me out a bit. I felt the need to be on the lookout for some weirdo that might have a death wish , while I’m 12 seats into the 15th row.

Thing is, they can't make enough money of going direct, even at that price. Even more when you consider that that price would probably also negatively impact DVD-Blu-ray sales. Movies that need to make a billion to start making money, like Rise of Soywalker, could never recoup their production and marketing budget on direct release. Although technically they would no longer need to make a billion, as they can cut out the theaters. It also depends on how many people are going to watch the movie. $25-25 might be cheaper for a family, but for me going alone, or with a friend, ain't gonna happen.

Also, if movie theaters are going to close because of changing habits, where will it end. Maybe people will say, why go to a big stadium to pay overpriced food, drinks and t-shirts when I can watch Metallica live stream back home? Which will be less lucrative for bands, because recording 1 gig for a live stream will in no way generate the same kind of revenue of playing a 100 stadiums. So I reckon while many in the audience would prefer this model, for the studios and musicians it makes perfect sense not to do it. Besides, its way more fun to go out for entertainment then watch it at home. Part of the allure of going out is the leaving the home part. And I hate pop corn anyway. I'll sneak in my own food and drinks.
Live sports and music concerts are different IMO. I think the studios would profit more, by going direct, with all things considered, TV/Movie content is consumed differently now and folks expect convenience. You don't talk during a movie, but you do during a concert or football game. The interaction is completely different.

I rarely go to the movie theater. Mostly because it's essentially a colossal waste of money, since most times I can't make it through an entire movie without falling asleep. Seems to be a family trait. Most of us can't. :grinning: But, the decline in movie quality isn't worth wasting the money on them. The poorly written dialogue, terrible and incoherent story/plotlines and ridiculous over the top action scenes in these movies nowadays make most movies unwatchable for me.

It's sad in that it's a major cultural change, but past that...shrug
Agreed. The dialogue, in general, sucks in new movies. All effects and action and it just becomes BORING because it doesn't move you. Old James Bond Movies were great. Last 20 plus years they have been lackluster.

That's why I love documentaries. There are so many that are mind-blowing.

Agreed. The dialogue, in general, sucks in new movies. All effects and action and it just becomes BORING because it doesn't move you. Old James Bond Movies were great. Last 20 plus years they have been lackluster.

I think there have been some really great movies in the last 20 years, but for sure the amount of and quality had been on a steady decline. I think it really dropped off a precipice shortly around the time of the writers strike a few years back. I think a lot of the old writers died off, quit, retired, etc. Now you've got young writers who honestly, probably aren't good at face to face communication and interaction, much less writing how an actual conversation takes place...now they're trying to write how the actually think people speak to each other. And it's terrible. It's usually awkward and has no flow to it.

Last edited:

They could make money if the actors weren't demanding so much money. Actors seem to think they're entitled to outrageous salaries (just like CEOs). Then they preach to us how we're supposed to live our lives. Same with athletes. $100M a year to throw a ball?

Maybe this is finally the catalyst to restore some sanity to the income and wealth disparity.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit political but it's my forum so... :p

I personally hate going to the movie theater but my wife likes it. I prefer to watch movies at home where I can pause it when I need to take a leak.

They could make money if the actors weren't demanding so much money. Actors seem to think they're entitled to outrageous salaries (just like CEOs). Then they preach to us how we're supposed to live our lives. Same with athletes. $100M a year to throw a ball?

Maybe this is finally the catalyst to restore some sanity to the income and wealth disparity.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit political but it's my forum so... :p

I personally hate going to the movie theater but my wife likes it. I prefer to watch movies at home where I can pause it when I need to take a leak.

The weird thing is, they all clearly see themselves as 'on the side of the people' and your average everyday person seems to have been suckered in by that and believes the same thing. I've never understood why it's horrible for "big business" to have so much wealth, yet the Hollywood a-holes (writers, directors, actors) all seem to get a free pass.

My wife and I were just talking about this today. I'd care a great deal, I love the experience of going to the theater to see a blockbuster. I don't care how good your home system it is, it can't replace seeing something like a Marvel movie or Jurassic Park on a 100ft Imax screen with a sound system that pins you in your seat. Not to mention the social aspect of enjoying a movie with a crowd of enthusiastic fans.

The weird thing is, they all clearly see themselves as 'on the side of the people' and your average everyday person seems to have been suckered in by that and believes the same thing. I've never understood why it's horrible for "big business" to have so much wealth, yet the Hollywood a-holes (writers, directors, actors) all seem to get a free pass.

...was thinking about these actors (musicians, and athletes to some degree) ..Who would want to spend their lives in the limelight, and the press? Constantly harried by scumbag photographers, dangling from trees-all jockeying to get some-form of crotch-shot for some sleazy tabloid; routinely being sued for paternity and other-such BS whatnots.

...Would rather have just enough to be honest, and have a little of the quiet life.. I don’t even like people coming-up to me at the gas station “Oh, You’re that guitar player, ...in that band!” ..I-mean ...Leave me the hell alone. I’m gassing-up my car ffs.

I always found that really weird. People you don’t know rushing over all overly excited to meet you - mainly because I'm just not interesting-enough to get That excited about. And I have never considered myself that good a guitar player.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a “star”. I don’t know how they do it. I'd go mad (short trip though that may be).

I’d be happy to see new movies releases directly to streaming.

I don’t miss movie theaters. People are rude, and talk/text through the whole movie. The theater floors are sticky. The seats are a biohazard. I feel like I need a decontamination shower after I leave.

I do miss seeing new movies. But I’d rather watch them at home.

I don’t understand why actors are paid so much. It is pretty ridiculous. They claim they have long hours and have to work at night and sometimes in bad weather. So do road workers, and they aren’t paid tens of millions a year. And road workers build the roads we NEED in our automobile society. They’re essential. As are many other unappreciated workers.

With the recent trend towards reserved seating and recliner seats, we started going to movie theaters again last year. There's no way you can reproduce that visual and listening experience in your home.

$7.00 for a ticket, twelve bucks for a cartload of popcorn and couple of large drinks, was all pretty-reasonable too. Never too crowded, either. Kinda miss going.

Where do you live? It's about $40-50 here for two tickets, drinks, and popcorn. My girlfriend and I actually pretty much stopped going to movies quite some time ago - at least 2 years before the zombie apocalypse. There are so few movies that come out now that are worth paying for the big screen. I just looked at the list of movies for 2019 on Wikipedia, we saw 3 or 4 of those in the theater - a few years ago it would have been well over a dozen.

When Hollywood regurgitates things like Shaft, Jumanji, Footloose, etc. there's not much left to say. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the last Star Wars sequel trilogy, there's no denying that it was the same basic story as the original sequel. It's a shame that they ignored all of the Star Wars books that have been written over the years, there were some great stories - much better than what we got.

...was thinking about these actors (musicians, and athletes to some degree) ..Who would want to spend their lives in the limelight, and the press? Constantly harried by scumbag photographers, dangling from trees-all jockeying to get some-form of crotch-shot for some sleazy tabloid; routinely being sued for paternity and other-such BS whatnots.

...Would rather have just enough to be honest, and have a little of the quiet life.. I don’t even like people coming-up to me at the gas station “Oh, You’re that guitar player, ...in that band!” ..I-mean ...Leave me the hell alone. I’m gassing-up my car ffs.

I always found that really weird. People you don’t know rushing over all overly excited to meet you - mainly because I'm just not interesting-enough to get That excited about. And I have never considered myself that good a guitar player.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a “star”. I don’t know how they do it. I'd go mad (short trip though that may be).
They can have regular quiet lives. Just don't live in LA or NYC.

The last movie I saw in the theater and thought was worth the price of the ticket was in 2015. There was a movie I might have wanted to see in 2017, but I'm so wary of the crap that the industry produces that I haven't even bothered to watch it at home.

It's not the price that I object to, but the utter shoddiness of the product.

I had a small taste of this when a dumb gag of mine went viral late last year. For about a week and a half my face was all over the internet and people were up my ass for interview requests left and right. Part of it was extremely gratifying, seeing so many people enjoy something I did...but it was also pretty exhausting with the amount of attention I was getting every day..If I were an actual celebrity I'd imagine I'd either really enjoy it or just become a paranoid recluse.

Also, they need to stop making superhero movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom