How many amps does the Axe FXII and MFC-01 draw?

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
How many amps does the Axe FXII and MFC-101 draw.

Most wall sockets in the USA are on 15 amp breakers and are recommended for 80% use (12amps). My JBLPRX612M's are 5 amps each. That's 10 amps just for my powered monitors if I use those with my Axe FXII.

I checked with Marshall and my Plexi's draw 4 amps each if I use a couple of real amps and cabs with the Axe FXI instead, and my 2 Marshalls alone will draw 8 amps. I'm thinking of buying a voltage regulator where everything plugged into has to be no more than 15 amps combined. I can't find in the manuals what amps the Axe FXII and MFC-101 draw. Do any of you know for sure?

According to my fancy "Digital" energy meter... It's pulling about .36Amp @ 119Volts.

Note: Amplifiers will have a very dramatic power draw change depending on the output level/volume of the amp.
Dips and spikes are the norm. I would recommend you ALWAYS run an oversize extension cords to your amp.
If you want to drive yourself crazy, study stuff like this.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_drop instead of playing/practicing.
Or play/practice and enjoy your life much more. :)

The Axe-FX II and the MFC-101 together draw less than 50 watts together--the specs are in the respective manuals--so that's less than 1/2 amp.

The 5A marking on the back plate of your speakers is a maximum--class D amps typically draw much less unless they are really being pushed.

Danny W.

Just when I think I've seen every question asked on this forum...

I can not imagine why anyone would need this information (unless there was a specific issue that required this kind of attention), but the info is in the manual.

And what loopie said.

I can not imagine why anyone would need this information (unless there was a specific issue that required this kind of attention), but the info is in the manual.

And what loopie said.

As I said in my original post "I'm thinking of buying a voltage regulator where everything plugged into has to be no more than 15 amps combined."
Anyone who has used tube amps in lots of venues knows the kind of problems voltage variances can cause with their amps. I want to eliminate this issue by buying a voltage regulator. I was trying to find out of I needed one or two of them since the total of the things plugged into them can't be more than 15 amps.

Voltage issues can even cause problems with things like powered monitors. This excerpt is from the JBLPRX612 Manual.
"A robust AC supply is necessary for maximum performance. If the supply is too weak the bass performance may
be affected and if it sags (drops) too much the system may self-mute to protect itself. As soon as the appropriate
AC supply is restored it will continue to operate. Plugging multiple systems into the same outlet and long
extension cord runs may affect the AC supply to the systems."

So whether I am running my Axe FXII through powered monitors, or through a couple Marshalls I want to have constant voltage to get the best sound out of what I am playing the Axe FXII through. So I'm buying a voltage regulator. I called Furman and they told me to find out how many amps each and every item I use draws add them all up and if it is less than 15 amps I can get by with one voltage regulator. If it is more I'll need two. I couldn't find the amp draw in the manuals for the Axe FXII or MFC-101, so I posted the question to the forum. Guess I should have just called Fractal directly and asked them.

Specific issues. We keep blowing fuses at rehearsal. My drummer is currently re-wiring his studio because of this.

The Axe-FX II and the MFC-101 together draw less than 50 watts together--the specs are in the respective manuals--so that's less than 1/2 amp.

The 5A marking on the back plate of your speakers is a maximum--class D amps typically draw much less unless they are really being pushed.

Danny W.

Thanks Danny, I saw the specs for watts in the Fractal manuals, just didn't know how to convert that into amps.

Umm......a regular arcade machine I think will pull as much as a head, and many people will run at least five in a room. I think you're okay. Again, are you tripping breakers?

Again, are you tripping breakers?

Yes we are tripping breakers, and when we are not, the sound of our real amps is not consistent from day to day there. We have way too much equipment hooked up at my drummer's studio. He is currently re-wiring his studio.

And what loopie said.

I'm getting a battery-powered rig together, so I'm very grateful for this information.

As I had a scary Physics teacher at school I've never forgotten that Ohms Law is W = V x A ..... therefore A = W/V ... so if your mains voltage is 120v and the sum of your devices' published wattage is 40W then the amperes used is 40/120 ..... Answer 0.33 Amperes 'draw'.

Murphys Law however means your circuit breaker will trip for no other reason than because it feels like it ;)

Yes we are tripping breakers, and when we are not, the sound of our real amps is not consistent from day to day there. We have way too much equipment hooked up at my drummer's studio. He is currently re-wiring his studio.

Well, shit, Hoss! Sounds like you got things on the right track.

I hope he is adding a few extra circuits in the room with all the draw you have going on.

As I had a scary Physics teacher at school I've never forgotten that Ohms Law is W = V x A ..... therefore A = W/V ... so if your mains voltage is 120v and the sum of your devices' published wattage is 40W then the amperes used is 40/120 ..... Answer 0.33 Amperes 'draw'.

Murphys Law however means your circuit breaker will trip for no other reason than because it feels like it ;)

That's Watt's law: P = V * I. Ohm's law is V = I * R.

Back
Top Bottom