How many amps do you actually use?

Cameron Ch2
Triptik Modern
Plexi 50 High
ODS-100 Lead
Class A 30W TB

Those pretty much cover all my sonic ground.

I tend to stick with the holy trinity of the Fender/Marshall/Vox myself. What I like is the ability to go between the different models, but when push comes to shove I have about 5 basic presets that are my core tones they tend to be the Friedman HBE, AC30, Dumble, Jumpered 50W Plexi. Not exactly a clean set of rigs. :)

But to me it has never been about quantity and had everything to do with quality. What is nice though is that as I age my tastes tend to change and in a year from now I may want to go down the Shiva route or start playing with the rectifier based amps. I don't have to go out and buy another amp or two to satisfy that urge. I also don't have to invest in more gear to explore. So as I evolve or my interests change I just turn a knob and I'm there.

So I don't feel like the volume of amp models is wasted on me at all. The only argument I would have against the quantity is if we had 140 amps and none of them sounded good. Then I'd be upset. As it stands I couldn't be happier.

I'm also into the classics:
Twin/ac30 for clean
Marshall 50w plexi treble for crunch
Dumble lead 2 for leads
Recto 2 for hard grind

Really enjoy the Brit Super/AFD amp. I think it's really overlooked.

think about this though....you are using a 3k dollar modeler and only using 3-5 amps....but many of those amps are in the 2-4k range per amp....so it's still a STEAL. Getting 6k to 20k worth of amps on stage with you at any given time...not counting fx...not counting cabs and speakers....

+ not counting the cost of hernia repairs and back surgery...

Fender, Marshall and Vox

=

the Holy Trinity of amps.
Well, in the Axe that translates to about 20 different amps... :-;

In my last band I used about 12-15, but a lot of that was trying to get a specific sound for a cover song. I still had about 5 that were my go-to amps... Plexi, AC30, JCM800, Deluxe, Soldano. And then I'd use a bunch of others here and there -- Superverb, Twin, CAE, Recto, Buttery, JR blues, JCM 900, USA Lead, 5150...

In my studio I often pick something else on purpose, to get a different inspiration. Can't wait to get back home so I can record w the Liverpool...

I must be loosing it, I WAS using the Brit Sliver I know for a while, but looked today and have been using the Brit Super AFD for the past month and forgot to change my patch names,, doh..
nice responding model I must say!!

I use a ton of them, depending on the gig. Trip (Clean & Modern), FAS Modern, HBE, Deluxe Verb, USA Rhy, FAS Rhy, Badger, Cameron, Double Verb, Brit Super and the AC 30 to name a few. Now that I'm experimenting with the OH Marshall packs i have a feeling the list will grow...

I use several amp models and just want to say I love the fact i have so many to choose from and don't want to see any go away. However there are so many that i feel like a kid in a music store finding all of the time to try them. It simply a matter of time I do not always have to dial in the best amps to suit 6 guitars. I wish i had a month straight of days to go through all of the models and tweak the right ones to suit an arsenal of guitars.

Here are some i use often

Vibrato Verb
Deluxe Verb
Double Verb
Class A 30W TB
Dirty Shirley
Plexi 50W HIGH
1987X treble
Gibtone Scout
USA Clean
RECTO ORG Vintage
Shiver Clean
Shiver LEAD
Mr Z 38 SR
FAS LEAD

Double Verb
Class A 30W TB
Plexi 50W HIGH
1987X treble
USA Clean
JCM120 for Acoustic Git and really Clean Stuff

this are my fav @ moment...
but is changing from Record to Record...
i really like the Class A 30W TB... on our finished Record it sounds so well from iPod to Highend...
For me it's important how well it sounds with all Musicians together... can you still hear all tones ... etc...

Back
Top Bottom