How many amps do you actually use?

Twin Reverb for cleans, Friedman BE for crunch/rhythm stuff, FAS Modern for everything heavier than that, SVT for a small part where I cover for our bass player while he plays flute, Tube Pre for my acoustic guitar.

So basically, 3 amps covering everything I'll ever need. And I use the same IR combination for both the Friedman and the FAS Modern so I'm really using only 2% of what's in there. :p

My favorites at the moment:
Princeton Rev
Bandmaster (this one really rocks, super clean or very nice rock tone in the same package! If I could have only one, this might be it)
Dumble lead 3
Orange AD30
JCM800
Bogner Shiva

The favorite spots change gradually. It's a lot nicer than buying and selling amps.

Leggie and tripnik, but I discover new ones every time new firmware comes out:encouragement:

Shiva Clean
Plexi 50W
HBE
Twin
Mk II
Deluxe Reverb

That's the main staple set. Really, I'll do entire nights on a patch that uses the Plexi 50W for "cleans" and the HBE for drive tones and be smiling, happy, stupid silly the whole night.

Since i'm recreating Edge's rig ... he has three different AC30s, A Blues JR (for the shimmer path mostly) and a Fender. Guess what I'm using in the AXE?

I DO use 2-3 other amps because I got the sounds out of them that I wanted .... but that's it.

I have 65 presets for the live show. Almost all of them using those amps.

The 5153 is my main rock patch but also recto red, HBE, plexi jumped, JCM800 and the top boost, for cleans I use ferments dual punchy clean so whatever's in that as well.

I'd guess most of us use no more than 5 or 6 amps, but I could be wrong. With a box that can do over 100 amps, it's almost certain that you'll only use a small portion of those.

I've used 12 amps in the presets that I've actively gigged with in Q3 & Q4 of 2013, but that is with 3 different bands/artists, so no more than 5 amps for any gig.

I am constantly using different amps and IR's but thats because:
1) bedroom player
2)fun
3) so many guitars with different flavors
4) because they are "there" (like why people climb mountains)
5) I love turning anything into a high gain

Right now

Twin clean
Twin pushed w/ ts808
Silver Jubilee crunch and lead
EDIT:
I just looked and have been using the Brit Super, not the silver ,, doh

Keep it simple method, they just work for me

Learn how to use my volume knob on my guitar,, amazing dynamics,
I'm good for now...
I add effect's as needed.
A little goes a long way.

I've found through my travels, add enough effects to be just subliminal, and not overbear them and you will be hugged and kissed for your fingers!

Last edited:
Reactions: LVC
Wreckers were my favs from the beginning, for me, very early 2009. Now it's only 4 for 95% of my music:
Wreckers (all)
Dumbles
Fenders (Mostly the Vibro's)
And now the Carr is really getting my attention.

AC 30 TB, Vibroberb, Dizzy VH4, 1987X, Plexi Treble, 5153 red, Bassman, JC120, Brit MOd, Friedman HBE, Bogner Blue, Bogner red. I just like the possibility of playing those amps, that i will never have the opportunity to use them all i a gig. I also like to have variety in sounds in the different songs that my band play.

think about this though....you are using a 3k dollar modeler and only using 3-5 amps....but many of those amps are in the 2-4k range per amp....so it's still a STEAL. Getting 6k to 20k worth of amps on stage with you at any given time...not counting fx...not counting cabs and speakers....

Back
Top Bottom