How many Amp sims/IR's do you use (of haved used)

brokenvail

Fractal Fanatic
As I look around the forum (been here since the ultra) I am often blown away but how many amp sims and IR's ppl actually use. There is def nothing wrong with that but I often laugh and think wow I under use this thing. Since the ultra I have only used 10 amps and 4 IR's (currently using 3 sims and 3 IR)

Amps
TripTik Modern
Shiva
Badger,
Ac30 TB
Plexi 100
Nitro
Deliverance
Tx Star
Vibro Lux
AC20

Cabs,
ac 30 silver
ac 30 blue
uber cab
recto v30

I have tried other cabs for 2 min here and there but have pretty much not even strummed more than 3 chords on another other amp sims lol

So how many amps/cabs do you actually use?

Uber
VH4 ch.3 (both Silver & Blue)
Recto1 (red mod)
5150 I, II & III (red)
Triptik Clean & Modern
AC20
Friedman BE/HBE
Lonestar cleans sometimes...

I really only use 2 IRs, one Diezel 412 & one recto 412, both from the OH HGE's, and mixed in CabLab depending on what I want (brighter/darker). But I use a mix of these two for all presets in a given setlist for the sake of continuity for an audience.

For me it depends on the run of shows.

For each run I typically create 4-5 presets and the amps / cabs would differ depending on what's going down.

I try to limit the cab IR's for a run of shows to keep the sound consistent for FOH / monitors / in-ears. In my experience, you can vary the amps quite a bit no worries, but switching between a bunch of different cabs reeks havoc with FOH and monitor mixes.

For next 3 shows I'm using:

Morgan AC20 -> Tom's 2x12 Mix IR (I bought the Cab pack that contains this but there is a free one in the UR Samples folder)
Supertweed -> 1x12 Tweed M160 (Free in the UR Samples)
Deluxe Reverb -> Tom's 2x12 Mix
TxStar Clean -> Tom's 2x12 Mix

Well, I can't say as i don't count or think that way - for me Axe Fx II is the largest Music Store where I can try all day and night lots of gear. I have my Favorites like the Plexi, Mesa, Dumple and lots more and use mainly Cab Pack 7 and 6 (Pre Rola). I'm a live musician and it's nice to have all this gear which inspires me and give's me a hell alot of pleasure. For me "the Way is my Goal" and I#m glad to keep on trying and playing and getting excited. It's perfectly alright for me the existence of this great box with lot's of goodies in it....:eagerness:

Well, I can't say as i don't count or think that way - for me Axe Fx II is the largest Music Store where I can try all day and night lots of gear. I have my Favorites like the Plexi, Mesa, Dumple and lots more and use mainly Cab Pack 7 and 6 (Pre Rola). I'm a live musician and it's nice to have all this gear which inspires me and give's me a hell alot of pleasure. For me "the Way is my Goal" and I#m glad to keep on trying and playing and getting excited. It's perfectly alright for me the existence of this great box with lot's of goodies in it....:eagerness:

I hear you man. Every now and then I tell my self I want to go "amp shopping" but I end up never doing it

I've now had Axe FX II for about three years. It's been a hell of a ride! I've struggled and been frustrated with my sounds for countless of times. Just lately I've been able to settle with some sounds that I really really like and they feel like my own. The last few firmwares have been ridiculously good.

The following amps and cabs are the ones that I currently use in my two bands for live and studio. I still experiment with other amps a lot, though.

For my progressive/psychedelic rock band:
Marshall Super Lead 100W - OH MAR-CB_H-PR-55 (Hendrix type of sound, sounds superb to my ears! Using this 99% of the time)
Hiwatt DR103 jumpered - OH BOG-SH FN-42 (For more cleanier type of sound, just started experimenting with this one)
Dumble Bludojai - 4x12 Rumble EV12L Mix (I've been learning to use this amp for a while. Mostly using it in acoustic gigs. Built from Paco's patch.)

Punk rock/hard rock band:
VOX AC30TB - 4x12 Beatle Mix (Classic punk rock sound)
Friedman BE/HBE - OH_MAR-CB_T75-SS_SS_MEDIAN (More heavier, Jerry Cantrell grunge type of sound)

I don't even save my presets. Every day is a new adventure with the magic black box.

If I'm in the mood for clean, I'll go try something out. Later if I want screaming metal, I'll flip to something else.

I've learned to let go of attachment to specific amps because I have...all of them. Available at any given time.

I often go "amp and cab shopping" with my Axe and more often than not just playing a new (to me) amp leads to writing a new song. It's absolutely inspiring to try something unfamiliar and create music.

And truth be told I cannot say I have become totally familiar with ALL the amps yet - not even close. And how cool is that ?

Granted I've only had my Axe FX II for about three months, but there's a good chance I haven't even strummed a chord on 2/3rds of the amps in this box... over 200 with no "filler amps," ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Lately I've been using the Mark IIc+ or FAS Modern III exclusively. Previously I was using the Cameron Ch2 or Friedman HBE.

I have tried every amp, and have made a point of trying every new amp, and every once in a while, this convinces me to change my main live patches, but currently...

For ALL of my clean tones...

CAE3+ Clean

For gains, from leanest, to meanest...

Brit 800, and 800mod (When it just needs to ROCK)
Citrus RV50 (I really like the rough sounding gain structure on this guy)
Dizzy 4 SLVR 3, and 4 (Because Tool)
Angle Severe 1 (You can make this guy very, VERY heavy, and still remain smooth, and clear)

For cabs

L - Class A Mix (UR) + R - AC20 DLX Mix (UR)

or

L - Citrus Mix (UR) + R - Recto Mix (UR)

I switched to using the SV Bass amp from the Citrus -- they are both great but the SV just has the classic sound I can't get away from!

Cabs are really tough for me and I hop around a lot. I use the method SeeD talks about using two cabs, one for sub kick and another with guitar cabs. The guitar cab tends to change on my taste of the day.

I use the method SeeD talks about using two cabs, one for sub kick and another with guitar cabs. The guitar cab tends to change on my taste of the day.

I wanted to do that for my bassist, but we share an Axe-FX at the moment, and it maxes out the CPU when I switch him to stereo. :( Maybe later this year we can throw down on a second Axe.

I wanted to do that for my bassist, but we share an Axe-FX at the moment, and it maxes out the CPU when I switch him to stereo. :( Maybe later this year we can throw down on a second Axe.

When he gets the axe fx my advice would be to have him download SeeD's patches on axchange right away! PS Thank you, SeeD!

When he gets the axe fx my advice would be to have him download SeeD's patches on axchange right away! PS Thank you, SeeD!

Fortunately, with lots of hard work, and research we already have our bass tones down. Besides that, the day I get my bassist to actually program his own patches will be the day we discover a plant that grows ham sandwiches. I'm the tone guy in the band. I think I am actually using a SeeD bass cab, or at least I was. It give us a real low kick in the balls, but still maintains note definition. As a three piece, we rely a lot on the bass, since technically, there is no "rhythm" guitarist, so we like to hear, and feel the bass.

I have my Liquid Foot midi pedal set up where the bottom row has 4 presets and the top row has 3 scenes for each song. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a different feel for that song, so I switch from the Ruby Rocket to the AC/20 deluxe or to "cork sniffers...don't remember which amps it uses". I do use the same amp for many songs we do, but still use 10 or more different amps.

Back
Top Bottom