How loud you play?

aziz

Power User
I just got a cheap decibel meter, and was surprised how loud I like to play. I was at 100-105db while jamming alone. Then the drummer joins the party and suddenly we hit 115db. For audiences, this is dreadful.

Those cheap meters can be extremely inaccurate.
I've compared some of them in controlled environment with accurate ones we have at work.

Also, check the weighting. OSHA's recommendations are based on A-weighting with Slow Response.

As an aside, that's a horrible way to measure music's volume for the purposes of determining hearing damage, for two reasons. First, A-weighting ignores low frequencies, which make up so much of modern music. Second, while slow response may be appropriate for filtering out the odd clank from the constant whir of machinery, it ignores things like snare hits. For moderate listening levels, that may be ok, but my understanding is that the ear also has peak volume limits that you could probably exceed if you're only looking at slow response.

(I don't have a solution... I'm just pointing out that OSHA's noise limits, the only objective tool that we have, is wholly inadequate and was never designed to determine safe music listening levels.)

Anyway you slice it, it's too loud, even if the meter is over representing by 15%.

typical-sound-levels.png

We practice at around 83db, which itself is not good for you long term, but 115db is begging for problems.

I got tired of cymbals and snare causing my ears to ring 25 years ago. Been using hearing protection at every rehearsal and gig ever since. I still find it astonishing that my bass player and drummer refuse to wear protection as I would guess we are hitting 100 dB at practice mostly due to the drummer.

This is the #1 reason I love electronic drum kits.
...but I do on occasion crank it to 11 to see how I'd sound at gig vol to an audience listening to it reinforced.

I have very mild tinnitus. Not sure when I got it, but I figure some time after I started playing through tube amps. It's been a good thing actually, as I'm now paranoid about protecting my hearing. I wear ear plugs all the time, and use IEMs when I'm on stage. I love the Axe for it's ability to sound good without blowing me away. My old Rectifier didn't sound good until about 90db.

I hate drummers. I only know one reaaally good drummer who can play quiet and sound awesome. He's a pro, all others are just smashing everything as hard as they can.

I honestly don't understand traditional kits anymore.

E-kits have *subjectively* :roll sounded BETTER than acoustic kits for some time now. Just the other day I was debating this with my drummer & bassist (who both took the opposing view). The debate ended when I suggested he call up our producer and pull all the Slate plugs he had triggered off our EP.

They can sound MUCH better at low volumes, better yet are CAPABLE of sounding good at low volumes, are more tonally versatile, allow for more monitoring flexibility, and are lighter and more compact generally speaking (which ends up paying for itself in logistics).

Honestly, traditional kit drummers are starting to sound a lot like T00bZ guys to me these days.

When is the last time you heard a band live and thought "I wish they were a little louder"? I like to play loud as much as the next guy, but it seems like venues always have the sound system about 20db louder than it really needs to be. Stage volume is one thing, but why the hell do so many venues insist on cranking the house system to such ridiculous levels that even at the far back of the house I have to practically scream at the top of my lungs just to order a beer at the bar. It's like an audio Napoleonic complex or something.

I just joined a band. First rehearsal. 105dB. Unacceptable.

I told them I will join with some conditions. We will use e-drums, everyone goes into the PA, use X32 and maybe in-ears.

The band is excited to learn the next batch of songs at the next rehearsal, but they don;t know it will we mainly about "setting up our mix" right, rather than going deaf with songs.

If that's a problem, I am out.

I started playing professionally when I was 16. By the time I got into my 30's I started to get some hearing loss.

If your going to play or listen to music for a good hour , I'd keep it below 95dB. Any longer the level should drop.

My left ear is at 25% loss.

One thing to keep in mind, you can't get the hearing back without the help of some sort of hearing device. Not worth it! Keep it low or wear protection

My band is all IEM. I control my own gig/practice mix volumes.
It's AMAZING how loud the house sound (DJ) is when I take out my ears at the end of the set.
Been leaving them in between sets lately.
I can still hear folks talk, but the "background noise" is cut down 26+dB :)

91dB 2 hours permissible exposure time
94dB 1 hours permissible exposure time
97dB 30 minutes permissible exposure time
100dB 15 minutes permissible exposure time
105dB 4 minutes permissible exposure time

For every 3 dBAs over 85dBA, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

We got a new drummer about 6 months ago. It was awesome being able to play at lower volumes! Sadly, he has gotten used to us and I noticed that last few practices that the volume level is TOO high again. Shame there isn't an attenuator for drums :)

Back
Top Bottom