How loud should the fan be?

***Fixed now*** Used original fan but with new fan compensators from Noctua NF-A8 FLX which arrived today.

It's resting on the compensators sitting just a tad above where it was originally. Quiet with lid on. New fan was still noisy so I skipped wrestling with it. I feel better staying with the stock fan anyway for obvious reasons.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Did you plug in a resistor to reduce the fan speed ?

Since I got the OG fan to work, I didn't bother trying anything else. If it didn't work, I would have played with the speed adapters. You know how it is, you try till it works best. Thanks for all of your help. :)

***Fixed now*** Used original fan but with new fan compensators from Noctua NF-A8 FLX which arrived today.

It's resting on the compensators sitting just a tad above where it was originally. Quiet with lid on. New fan was still noisy so I skipped wrestling with it. I feel better staying with the stock fan anyway for obvious reasons.

Thanks guys!

HEY! You changed your post... You mean I looked these up for no reason?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=silent+running+fans+for+electronics&fr=crmas&imgurl=https://sep.yimg.com/ay/outletpc/antec-truequiet-140-140mm-dual-mode-4-pin-case-fans-4.jpg#id=-1&iurl=https://sep.yimg.com/ay/outletpc/antec-truequiet-140-140mm-dual-mode-4-pin-case-fans-4.jpg&action=click

And if all else fails, there's this ;). https://www.dyson.com/fans-and-heaters/dyson-cool-overview.html?utm_source=bing.com&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=us_en__environmental__fans__category__na__na__Bing__na__all__BMM__na__RLSA&utm_content=bin_406332854&utm_term=+fans&msclkid=49c4fac4d151156bee83a1e21c38bfd7&gclid=CJi-2J7N29sCFeKpZQodtgMI8w&gclsrc=ds&dclid=CLmi8Z7N29sCFcjBwAodBA4P7A

They have excellent reviews, I swear Dyson is in touch with aliens.

Resting on the posts but still very close to the distance it was above the plate.

Attachments

• 20180617_173041.jpg
    20180617_173041.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20180617_173132.jpg
    20180617_173132.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 145
I have the same noise as in the video!
Tried loosening the screws and can get it somewhat quieter, but when I put the toplid back on the noise pretty much returns.
I have had the Standard, Ultra, AX8 and two IIXL's and never thought about any fan noise at all.
But this is bad. I use my IIXL instead when playing more quietly because the pitchy sound gets very grating:(

You can use small rubber washers to fix this. For me, I only needed to put them on the fan base plate that screws into the metal posts. It solved my issue completely. I would imaging that if it is really the lid, you could do the same thing... just a little more effort as there are 12 screws. Although, I bet you wouldn't really have to do all of them.

I think its unacceptable considering all the fan noise issues with AXE-FX I and II that Fractal didnt solve this issue with the III. After all it costs 2900 Eur we shouldnt have to spend even more money to fix the noise issue.

I just ordered my Axe-FX III only to discover this thread. Is this an issue everyone has been having, or is this a luck of the draw kind of thing? Either way, I might need to look into some modifications because noise always bugs the hell out of me. Hopefully it's at least as quiet as my Axe-FX II Mk.2.

I just ordered my Axe-FX III only to discover this thread. Is this an issue everyone has been having, or is this a luck of the draw kind of thing? Either way, I might need to look into some modifications because noise always bugs the hell out of me. Hopefully it's at least as quiet as my Axe-FX II Mk.2.
The reported number of cases seems relatively small...

Hi Mine,
In my case it was louder thank my II and sort of droned. I am a picky bugger though. Some people seem to think it's no problem at all. Let's hope you're one of them!

Thanks
Pauly

First time I fired mine up the other day, I couldn't hear it in the den with no TV on, no wife home, and the heat pump wasn't running.
It was only 4 feet away from me.

It will probably be fine, is for most folks, but, if its not, there are plenty of easy fixes. Thus, it either is a non-issue out of the box, or you can easily make it a non-issue, so no worries

it either is a non-issue out of the box, or you can easily make it a non-issue, so no worries

IMHO it's up to the manufacturer to make this a non issue, not the consumer. Particularly if they are aware of the problem (even if it is only some units) before the manufacturing process takes place and especially if it is such an easy fix.

Also, the equipment I've ever bought has its warranty voided if the unit is opened up by the consumer. Indeed in the warranty section of the Axe III Manual it states, "Unauthorized service, repair or modification will void this warranty"

Last edited:
IMHO it's up to the manufacturer to make this a non issue, not the consumer. Particularly if they are aware of the problem (even if it is only some units) before the manufacturing process takes place and especially if it is such an easy fix.
And they will... If you open a support case with Fractal. But you would have to ship it back.
Also, the equipment I've ever bought has its warranty voided if the unit is opened up by the consumer.
Not actually legal... Already discussed in this thread. Companies cannot legally prevent you from repairing your own equipment.

If your worried, then live with it or send it back and have them do it. Problem still solved.

It takes just a few minutes to DIY though and it’s easy enough anyone can do it, if they want to.

I’d rather spend a few dollars on a fan and 5 minutes of my time verses having to ship it back, insure it, be without it for probably a week etc.

Not actually legal... Already discussed in this thread. Companies cannot legally prevent you from repairing your own equipment.

Of course companies cannot 'prevent' one from repairing their own equipment, but they can void the warranty as it states in their warranty clause.
Opening a support case and shipping it back (from New Zealand) is just not an option for me and since I'll be paying a premium price I'd expect a recognized problem to be sorted before the product is shipped.

I would concur that at this stage, no problem with the fan has yet to be recognized by the manufacturer as it seems to be an intermittent problem.

Of course companies cannot 'prevent' one from repairing their own equipment, but they can void the warranty as it states in their warranty clause.
No, they can't... That is what is illegal. Telling you your warranty is void if you break the seal is tantamount to telling you that you must only allow them to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom