How loud is your frfr?

If you think of a loud and quality you can choose Meyer MJF 212A it's expensive but you'll never regret.

I made the drummer and other guitar player complain about the volume my EVs were putting out, and the other guitar was running through FOH. It’s not something I am particularly proud of, but they can get plenty loud.

Two (stereo) RCF NX12-SMA. Both set at less than ½ volume, generally limit the level to 93-94dB at my playing position.
One time, dragged the Marshall Major out and ran it thrrough 2 4x12 cranked, and cranked the Axe RCFs.
RCFs buried the Marshall, but couldn't stand either for long, with even with muffs on.

I use a Matrix GT1000FX 2U into a Greenboy Fearless F115 3-way cab. I wanted something that could reproduce trouser flapping FRFR audio with SPLs that would compete with rigs I had used in the past. This was typically a 4x12 1/2 stack (100 watt Marshall), occasionally supplemented by a 2x12 combo (Vox AC30). It does that job, and hurts fewer ears by not suffering from the "treble beam".

I recently bought a pair of RCF ART 732-A Mk 4 for PA duties. Haven't connected them to the AFX III yet, but I reckon just one of them would also do the job almost as well. They are nothing like as flat in response as the Greenboy cab, so would need an EQ tweak in the Axe.

It can be done in numerous ways, most of them better from player, band and audience perspective.

Liam

I've never been a fan of high stages volumes (apart from in my 20s but then I didn't know any better) but as long as I can hear myself that's all that matters because the FOH does all the heavy lifting.
So for me my frfr never gets really pushed to stupid volumes... YMMV

I've not tried some of the highly regarded ones on this forum, only Friedman, QSC and Headrush. Never was any concern with volume, it's very different and the electric guitar being non directional instrument plays a part in this. I like frfr and how it sounds, I do not prefer it over a traditional cab personally in a band setting. I understand the luxury of having all those IRs and mic/settings for versatility, using a 4x12 or several was more than adequate in any live situation. If we're going IRs do we even need a cab on stage period , just use IEM, or a wedge if not IEM, I like having something behind me pushing air vs a wedge. That way when I step on a cat everyone hears it and not just FOH

I have always used a ss power amp and real cab when playing with my band. I’m thinking about trying out an frfr. I know it obviously depends on the size of the frfr speaker but are they typically loud enough to keep up with a full band? Most of them I see look very small in comparison to a traditional cab
Thanks for this topic. I'm still struggling with this myself.

I actually played with a full band last night with my 2 Headrush 108s. It was pretty good, but noticed I wasn't quite cutting through the way I wanted when I needed it (e.g. taking solos). I'm still tweaking eq and whatnot to get what I need but do have a feeling the speakers may be a bit of the issue.

This post has me looking at the XiTone wedges. I may see a purchase in my future.

Back
Top Bottom