How Long Until III’s Amp Modeling Definitively Surpasses the II?

Rane

Experienced
From what I’ve read so far, the III will allow the current algorithms to be run more optimally, thus potentially providing an inherent improvement in the amp sims. It also looks like modeling improvements will continue to be ported to the II and AX8. All good news.

However, I can’t help but wonder how soon - if ever - the modeling will reach the limits of it’s former hardware.

It will be quite interesting to see how things evolve.

I'm sure the limits are real close or the new hardware wouldn't be necessary. That's what happened from the Standard to the Ultra to the II.

Sounds like a question for Cliff as surely no end users would have access to that information, and I don’t know if Cliff even knows where inspiration will take the product over the next few years

I do wonder if we all love the 2 and its the greatest ever etc. what audible differences there will be in the 3?

From what I’ve read so far, the III will allow the current algorithms to be run more optimally, thus potentially providing an inherent improvement in the amp sims. It also looks like modeling improvements will continue to be ported to the II and AX8. All good news.

However, I can’t help but wonder how soon - if ever - the modeling will reach the limits of it’s former hardware.

It will be quite interesting to see how things evolve.

Im really more interested in what other things it will evolve to do besides amp modeling. I want more Fxs, better quality Fxs, etc.

The question is about how close the AXE FX II was already from the "real thing".
Everytime that there is a new firmware release, it seems that all is fantastic, great, and that it could not be better.
Then there is A/B video and comparison to explain that.
Also, I suppose that the Axe FX II is already damn close to the "real thing" (or I have missed some explanation / discussion).
97% ? 98 ? 99% ? 99.5 % ?

I have personally no idea, and honestly no real interest in the answer, but this thread is nonsense before we agree on the current situation of the AXE FX II vs "real thing".

I am sure that the Axe FX III is already better, or it would only be a marketing product.
There is more DSP power, also the simulation can be more powerful and closer to the "real thing".

How close is already the AXE FX II to the "real thing" ?

I precise a little more.
I suppose that if we could all plug into the same cab (wood, dimension, construction) + speaker as the "real thing" everytime that we change amp model, it would be very difficult to make any difference with the original amp. The amp simulation is probably already pretty close as it can be.

This is what the Axe FX could never provide to us. The real amp cab for each models.

And the Axe III could maybe help in this direction with more processing power.

At this point it's all about potential. Given the massive boost in processing power, what will be possible in the future?

Look how far we've come since the infamous "640K ought to be enough" proclamation.

the amp modelling in the ultrasonic range needs a lot of work IMO. I suspect that is where FAS is taking this.... Other than that, the Axe III is a box of potential, a platform for FX development and flexibility.

If they'd just put some little incandescent light bulbs in there it would warm up the tone a little bit, and make it give off that lovely cooking amp smell. I think that's all that's left. It's probably hard to model thermal energy loss in the digital realm, being that it's A SIMULATION. just think though, little light bulbs that act as tube emulation, that get real bright when you turn up the master. How realistic would that be?!

If they'd just put some little incandescent light bulbs in there it would warm up the tone a little bit, and make it give off that lovely cooking amp smell. I think that's all that's left. It's probably hard to model thermal energy loss in the digital realm, being that it's A SIMULATION. just think though, little light bulbs that act as tube emulation, that get real bright when you turn up the master. How realistic would that be?!

@Rex has already pointed out , that the "lovely cooking amp smell" is merely DUST cooking , which is actually dead skin cells.
Mmmm , I'm starving.

This is my best guess: FAS have made some incremental improvements to the modelling using the current model and algorithms throughout the development of the Axe FX III. As such, this will result in an improvement, but will only be recognizable to the kind of people who come to the FAS forum every day and ask questions. To most general guitarists, they won't notice much of a difference.

I am guessing that the extra horsepower will focus FAS on the following:

* Rethinking the core model and approach in which FAS does modelling. Remember when MIMIC was announced? I am thinking a change as significant as that.
* It wouldn't surprise me if FAS will also focus on other elements to virtualizing a guitar rig - the mics, the room, the cabs, improving compressors (just think how much work has gone into virtualizing a LA-2A compressor in other companies) so the Axe FX III provides a more comprehensive virtualized platform. This could get the signal going into a studio as solid as possible in a mix so as to require little post-processing.
* I suspect FAS will also expand and improve the overall FX line.

In other words, and presuming FAS operate in the same good faith as they have done for a long time (which I have no reason to suspect they won't), my guess is that they will focus not just on the amp/cab modelling in much more depth, but the broader signal chain to increasing levels of quality and flexibility.

It already does ;)

It was mentioned in other threads that the increased headroom allows for code changes that earlier needed to be 'shoehorned' in on the II (paraphrasing.) I doubt at this point the difference would be discernible.

So your question is answered. And while I expect future development to just make it better (and when possible ported to the Axe II,) I also don't see that there will ever be a 'night and day' comparison on II vs III.

It was mentioned in other threads that the increased headroom allows for code changes that earlier needed to be 'shoehorned' in on the II (paraphrasing.) I doubt at this point the difference would be discernible.

So your question is answered. And while I expect future development to just make it better (and when possible ported to the Axe II,) I also don't see that there will ever be a 'night and day' comparison on II vs III.

Agreed. It is impossible for there to be a "night and day" difference. The AX8 sounds amazing. That can NOT be taken away.

UNLESS !!!!!!! - FAS teams up with Apple , and future updates actually make older units sound worse.

Also, I suppose that the Axe FX II is already damn close to the "real thing" (or I have missed some explanation / discussion).
97% ? 98 ? 99% ? 99.5 % ?
I have personally no idea, and honestly no real interest in the answer, but this thread is nonsense before we agree on the current situation of the AXE FX II vs "real thing".

I feel the same way. I have no idea how much Fractal's 50w Plexi nails the real thing and I never will because I'll never buy the real amp and do an a/b test. No need to. What's in the box sounds so awesome that comparisons are no longer relevant. They sound, record and feel great. That's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom