How long does your power conditioner/bars last?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I have a rackmount Samson Powerbrite Pro15 that I've had at least 12 yrs now. I'm wondering how long these typically last. The power switch on front flickers (not sure that's a sign of something or just nothing to worry about at all) and one of the frond led lamps no longer works so has me wondering how reliable the unit is overall. I may be in the market for a new one so would love some suggestions along with what members experience in terms of longevity of their units. I know the mileage varies but for my purposes, never gigging and permanently fixed at home use.

I bought a Juice Goose rack mount I bought probably 20 years ago or maybe more.

I sold it with my Axe Fx II rig to the other guitarist in my band and it's still working great, although the structural integrity is starting to be a concern as the rack ears aren't great anymore.

I have a rackmount Samson Powerbrite Pro15 that I've had at least 12 yrs now. I'm wondering how long these typically last. The power switch on front flickers (not sure that's a sign of something or just nothing to worry about at all) and one of the frond led lamps no longer works so has me wondering how reliable the unit is overall. I may be in the market for a new one so would love some suggestions along with what members experience in terms of longevity of their units. I know the mileage varies but for my purposes, never gigging and permanently fixed at home use.

I have a Furman and a Monster Pro 2500. I never use the Furman. The Monster
is about 15 years old, is heavy as shit, shows me the voltage on the front, and
has two outlets on the front that are always on which I can plug my phone or
something else in to charge up without having to turn on the entire setup.

Some of the Tripp-Lite stuff is really good, too. I have their voltage regulator
I use with my vintage tube amps to bring their voltage down to 110v from the
125-6v I get out of the outlets here.

I don't think they make the Monster units anymore, but I see them on the used
market.

Could be as simple as a toasted bulb in your Samson.

Could be as simple as a toasted bulb in your Samson.
yeah not sure. I forgot to mention that sometimes the one lamp works then the other. so they're both affected by something...compromised wire /connection perhaps. Agreed about having front outlets. I find that very handy for charging my phone etc. I'm not sold on the hype of 'conditioning' per se and I get that most of these are just glorified extension cords. Though it seems some have EMI, RFI built in to reduce noise/hums which seems useful, if that's what they truly do.

Yeah, with some of the power conditioners you might as well be conditioning your hair. ;)

Seems like you have to jump well beyond the entry level to get something that actually
will protect your gear against surges, and condition your line against interference.

Ive had my one Monster 2500 for years now its been my main rack power since ive owned it, like @la noise said its heavy as shit and it just works, I was bummed when they discontinued them but I found another one for my desk.

I've always just thought of my Furman as a rack-mount power strip, simply for its ergonomic convenience. Mine has to be around 30 years old and still works fine, although I seem to recall one of the rear outlets doesn't work any longer. But it's a good question. I'm happy with how long I've been able to use it, and the fact that a little while back I noticed the voltage was reading about 128.
So after contacting the power company simply to inquire about it, they actually sent a lineman out, on a Sunday no less, and whatever he did, did reduce the voltage to "120-121, whatever it takes." (Seriously, he did make some sort of adjustment that reduced it to right around 120, that had I not had the Furman plugged in all the time, I'd have never known about it.)

Ive had my one Monster 2500 for years now its been my main rack power since ive owned it, like @la noise said its heavy as shit and it just works, I was bummed when they discontinued them but I found another one for my desk.

Haha! I bought a second hand one about a year ago, after a friend twisted my arm to find him one. :)

Back
Top Bottom