How long did it take for you to become great at using your DAW, a DAW

I have used Logic for years and really only started to scrape beneath the surface the last 6 months.
I feel like the Axe FX is as complex as a DAW in many ways..

Using Sonar as a creative device is not so hard, just have to remember a couple of key short cuts W (rewind) R (record) Space (Start Stop) Ctrl-Z (Undo)

If its a brand new song, i get as many riffs and chord parts together as i can, then map them together into a psudeo song to some sort of basic drums

if what i come up with works, re track everything with both wet and dry track (so it can be re-amped)

I sometimes play around with re-amping at this stage

Then it usually goes to my band for a sink or swim type ceremony

If band likes it ( though at this stage it usually has been tweaked anyway), retrack and reamp with the mix

Repeat any and all steps if necessary add peppper and salt to taste

whalla

I thought I did years ago, then they started adding all these features and cool things...
which is the same reason I'm not great on the Axe FX II...
yet

I always bow down when I see someone who actually makes a living producing/mastering.

I simply can't get it in my head. All my home productions never turn out to be as good as professional productions, even with studio level gear like the Axe. It's like that magic trick you see as a child and never figure out even as an adult...

Getting to a level of competence where you can record multiple tracks, apply plugins, and then export it into a stereo MP3 or other commercial format has been pretty on easy on the multiple DAWs I've used. (Logic, Pro Tools, Studio One, Sonar). Getting to a point of mastery takes years, and honestly I think it's unlikely unless you're working on multiple types of projects with anything from live musicians, loops, to remixes, etc. in a variety of genres. I'm hoping to gain a higher level of mastery while pursuing a production degree through Berklee Online. Getting to a level of DAW mastery was one of my more important reasons for enrolling. A lot of the necessary skills aren't necessarily DAW specific, but more general engineering and production skills.

A lot and I'm still learning everyday even after Berklee... ;)

Hi Diego,

any chance you could share a bit of your Berklee experience? I'm starting the online production degree program in January and just curious to hear from a former student about their experience.

Just curious, thanks!

Great is a relative term. I became very competent and grew my knowledge significantly in three months. I took a Cubase Production class from Berklee Online. It was worth the price of admission. I learned things in that class that I use today and am confident I would still be struggling with Cubase had I not took that class.

Great is a relative term. I became very competent and grew my knowledge significantly in three months. I took a Cubase Production class from Berklee Online. It was worth the price of admission. I learned things in that class that I use today and am confident I would still be struggling with Cubase had I not took that class.

That's great, but what's the difference between competent and very competent?

I guess that's relative too. I am sure I would have learned a lot of what I know over time. The speed at which I could do things earlier is drastically reduced after the class. Understanding the automation capabilities was huge. The ability to understand the different track types and when to use them opened up a new world. Along the way you learn all of the workflow capabilities which speeds up working in the app. I no longer felt like I was learning how to record, I could focus on my instrument.

I no longer felt restrained by what little I knew about the app. It was worth it.

Hi Diego,

any chance you could share a bit of your Berklee experience? I'm starting the online production degree program in January and just curious to hear from a former student about their experience.

It's the best experience you can imagine. I attended Berklee in Boston and not online so I don't know if the lessons are the same...
I think next January I will try the Acoustic online course (Acoustics Course - Berklee Online)

This is what I like to hear. I know I'm missing out on the world class facilities they have on campus, but I'm hoping to make up for it with what I can do locally. I can't afford to attend as a resident student anywhere right now, so the online program is a perfect fit for me (and many others, apparently). I'll be taking that Acoustics course as well, but it will be this summer.

Back
Top Bottom