How is your Ax8 reamping experience?

acidfrost

Inspired
Hi!

I'm looking into moving from the Axe FX to the Ax8. I do as much studio as live so the reamping is pretty important to me. With no USB reamping feature on the Ax8, have you found it easy and good sounding on the Ax8?

Anyone has experience with both and can help me compare?

What about using input 2 and the FXLoop block? You wouldn't need a DI since it would be balanced line level to balanced line level. Looking at your post, the DI seems to be what adds noise.

Edit: oh your soundcard doesn't have line out... Nevermind.

What about using input 2 and the FXLoop block? You wouldn't need a DI since it would be balanced line level to balanced line level. Looking at your post, the DI seems to be what adds noise.

Edit: oh your soundcard doesn't have line out... Nevermind.

Read my last post in that thread ;-)

What about using input 2 and the FXLoop block? You wouldn't need a DI since it would be balanced line level to balanced line level...

That's the way you do it (play your guitar on the MTV)

AX8 works very well for reamping. I just now tracked a DI of the guitar, and the AX8 via SPDIF - the Vibrolux, a cabinet and rotary. Reamping the signal of the original guitar DI through the same preset sounds virtually identical to the fully processed output recorded on the same pass through SPDIF. No discernible increase in noise.

After recording, there was hardly anything to do for reamping beyond just copying the preset and replacing the input with the FXLoop. I routed the recorded DI track (Logic Pro X) to an Aux [Edit: Aux channel in DAW for workflow purposes - not Aux in Console] which was routed to Line 3 output on the Apollo Twin - connected with a TRS cable to the AX8 FX RTN L (+4db). In the AX8 menu: I/O / Audio - In 2 (FX RTN) = Left only. I adjusted the send from the DAW until it sounded the same. Didn't make any adjustment to the amp settings. Easier to match than I had anticipated. The audio quality is excellent.

Sure is fun to remix this way. I've been goofing here for a while - as the tracks loop: toggling AX8's effects on and off and messing with the delay timing for funky syncopations with the rhythm tracks. I'm in danger of getting carried away and layering these options until it's a complete mess. Note to self : Serve the song!

Last edited:
I used to think of re-amping as a recording studio technique:

I now realize that it is a really useful tool for dialing in the AX8 for performance.

Here's the deal: Play through the whole song and record the Guitar DI: Play the recorded DI back through the AX8 and dial in the amp model and all the effects. So easy. Also: if it involves a complex sequence changing scenes and on off status of the effects, this is a great way to rehearse the pedal dance. I'm sure some of you out there figured this out: but for those who haven't: perhaps you'll find it useful.

Last edited:
That's the way you do it (play your guitar on the MTV)

AX8 works very well for reamping. I just now tracked a DI of the guitar, and the AX8 via SPDIF - the Vibrolux, a cabinet and rotary. Reamping the signal of the original guitar DI through the same preset sounds virtually identical to the fully processed output recorded on the same pass through SPDIF. No discernible increase in noise.

After recording, there was hardly anything to do for reamping beyond just copying the preset and replacing the input with the FXLoop. I routed the recorded DI track (Logic Pro X) to an Aux which was routed to Line 3 output on the Apollo Twin - connected with a TRS cable to the AX8 FX RTN L (+4db). In the AX8 menu: I/O / Audio - In 2 (FX RTN) = Left only. I adjusted the send from the DAW until it sounded the same. Didn't make any adjustment to the amp settings. Easier to match than I had anticipated. The audio quality is excellent.

Sure is fun to remix this way. I've been goofing here for a while - as the tracks loop: toggling AX8's effects on and off and messing with the delay timing for funky syncopations with the rhythm tracks. I'm in danger of getting carried away and layering these options until it's a complete mess. Note to self : Serve the song!
Why do u go through an aux channel? I go directly from the daw to line 3 ? I noticed in my setup that the reamped tracks had more gain than the originals.

Why do u go through an aux channel? I go directly from the daw to line 3 ? I noticed in my setup that the reamped tracks had more gain than the originals.
I'll edit the original post for clarification. I ran it to an aux in the DAW (not an aux in the Apollo Console ) which was routed to the Line 3 in Apollo. The reason being I can use that DI track for ITB reamping with software, or mute it the output etc.

Back
Top Bottom