How is the switch from the Axe Fx III to the FM3?

Firstly I LOVE the FM3 for its form factor for gigs and rehearsals etc. it is superb. In the studio however I would prefer the AFX3 mostly for its I/o and expanded processing capability. Plus if it’s just going to be stationary in a rack nd you are using Axe-Edit then the workflow is the same. So I guess my vote is for both, 😋

@parlopower
If you’re happy with the FM3, then you’re happy. Don’t question it, just enjoy the inspiration you’re getting. That‘s why they make different units! If you can keep and use both, all the better. That’s what I’ll be doing when my FM9T invite comes along.

Good song there! Thanks for sharing

@parlopower
If you’re happy with the FM3, then you’re happy. Don’t question it, just enjoy the inspiration you’re getting. That‘s why they make different units! If you can keep and use both, all the better. That’s what I’ll be doing when my FM9T invite comes along.

Good song there! Thanks for sharing
Hey, thanks, glad you like it! :)
Yep, I'm very happy Fractal joined the floor unit market. This thing suits me very well.

Last edited:
Oh, regarding the votes for keeping both... it sounds tempting... on the other hand - how many guitars can you buy from selling an Axe Fx III...? :wink:

Interesting read here. I have an FM3 which was my first foray into the fractal world. I really love the tones and have gigged with it a lot since purchasing. I do see that I run close to the processing red line a lot and as such, really contemplating an AxeFX3 unit. It’s just a pricey move when you consider the unit, a rack case, floor switcher etc. I would not keep my FM3 if I upgrade. Taking a rack box to a gig isn’t an issue for me so the form factor doesn’t matter. Not sure what I could get for the FM3 as a resale but it would help with the hit of an axe3 unit and accessories.

Don't start collecting guitars! It's a severe disease. It takes a decade or two to heal and some might never get over it.

Great song btw!
Yeah, I went down that rabbit hole in the past, glad I got out in time...

Thanks, glad you like it!

I sold my Axe Fx III on Saturday. So now the switch is complete. I am really digging the FM3, and what I wrote earlier about playing more still applies. Weird, I don't get it, but it's a good thing.

Interesting read here. I have an FM3 which was my first foray into the fractal world. I really love the tones and have gigged with it a lot since purchasing. I do see that I run close to the processing red line a lot and as such, really contemplating an AxeFX3 unit. It’s just a pricey move when you consider the unit, a rack case, floor switcher etc. I would not keep my FM3 if I upgrade. Taking a rack box to a gig isn’t an issue for me so the form factor doesn’t matter. Not sure what I could get for the FM3 as a resale but it would help with the hit of an axe3 unit and accessories.
If you carry the Axe Fx III around anyway, I also don't see a point in keeping both, unless you want an extremely flexible backup system in cases the Axe gets damaged somehow. In Germany, I see FM3 on the used markets for 1150-1250 Euros, with the new price being 1450. So the resale loss is not too terrible here. Not sure about other territories.

Sounds like the FM9 might be a more appropriate option for you.

That said, if you are not regularly running into "ugh, I wish I could just add one more block to my preset" type issues with the FM3 then I'd just keep what you have. FM3 is enough for most standard guitar signal chains and if your primary use is live, then that's more than enough.

To me Axe-Fx 3 is at its best as a studio tool as you can just go to town and throw in everything but the kitchen sink without thinking of processing power or I/O. I can just put it in one place and leave it there. It's big and heavy enough (+ rack case) to move around that it's a lot more annoying than just putting the FM3 in a bag.

Back
Top Bottom