How interested would you be in wireless Axe-Edit?

selta

Power User
So, this came up in another thread...
I can build a setup that will allow you to hook up a Windows-based laptop/desktop/tablet to Axe-Fx units, wirelessly. For example, I do this at many of my gigs... I have a Surface Pro 3 on a stand near where I'm playing. My Axe-Fx is usually dozens of feet away, if not at FOH. On my SP3, I have at least Axe-Edit running, if not Sibelius and Reaper.

Assuming Fractal Audio would be OK with me continuing development of this... how much interest would there be for this? This would not enable iOS / OSX use of Axe-Edit... and I don't think it'd play nice with the folks who got Axe-Edit working via WINE on various flavors of *nix.

Also... if you would be interested in this, what would you consider a "fair" price for this setup? I already know what the outlay would be for the devices to set this up (I already run this setup), and I have a feeling that most people wouldn't pay the price it'd end up being for a fully finished product. But, before I spew the beans on how much it'd be just for parts, I want to see if people here are even in the same ballpark :).

If this at all looked possible, I'll need one or two beta testers... preferably people who are gigging a few times a month.

the point is no wires. I hate wires.. but I'm iffy on no wire to my pedalboard. I have a 30' midi cable.

To mods: sorry for dumping it in the incorrect forum the first time.

To all else: It's likely that the price would be prohibitive for everyone, unless you're like Wildwind, where it would be "worth it". Hardware costs alone (before a chassis to contain it all even) would be near $300!

I could likely even do wireless MIDI, but the hardware for that would be between $75 and $100 (I would need to test this a bit... haven't messed with this hardware). So I guess you could have two models... MIDI and non-MIDI.

In the other thread, I was asked about latency. Over WiFi, I've had hit and miss luck with recording. Since WiFi is half-duplex, it can have issues. The new 802.11ac protocol helps, but I haven't done a lot of testing with that yet. We'll call that rev 2.

Anyway, like I said... it may be too much in the way of $ to make sense for most people. I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if there was much interest in it. I'm going to continue using it myself, and will likely tweak it and so forth. I may order the MIDI stuff and add that onto mine in the next few weeks, so I can begin testing it :).

Actually, scratch that whole thing about pricing. I just had a bit of an epiphany. I need to order some stuff and tinker a bit. If it works, I can bring that price down quite a bit :)

As regards latency, it was I who asked the question. I really don't care much about recording. What I'm more interested in is playing a backing track and sending midi cc to the axe, these two processes should be in sync as much as possible.

As regards price (I know you said scratch that, but still), it really depends on what this "setup" of yours will do. If it's just a glorified USB transmitter, well, $400 does seem steep. On the other hand, are there alternatives? Not really. Even at this price I could consider it though depending on form factor, reliability etc. A midi only device may be cheaper, but that would be limited to sending commands to the axe, so no backing track functionality.

Back
Top Bottom