How I use the 3 foot switches in my FM3

Larry Mitchell

Power User
I have been using the FM3 for a bit now (beta testing) I’ve done a fair amount of shows, quite a few of my Facebook lives and youtube lives and I’ve gotten used to the three switches. It took me a minute but thats because I was deeply in the mind set of how my songs worked with the AX8. All the sideman gigs I did with the FM3 where super easy. I had no Pre planned ideas of how things would work. I just went with the flow of how Matt Picone’s default layouts where set up. I think they might be the best for many people especially coming to their first fractal unit. Only in the last few weeks have I started to alter the default layouts and really only the scenes layout. The presets layout default is pretty straight forward and it works. 3 presets per bank -1 and +1 with the MLM in the middle. It works.

the scenes is where I changed things a bit. Instead of getting to scenes 1through 8 through views. I needed to get through some scenes back and for quickly. This still has limits but I set my scenes up for my songs as best as possible to work this way. And it’s just been remembering where the scenes I need and when are. And I’m not sure sure I can go back to the AX8 now with the scenes for songs moved around in my head. Anyway. I changed the Tap on the the 3 switches in view one in scenes to scene toggles. So SW 1 scene 1/4 then SW2 scene 2/5 then SW 3 scene 3/6 the next view has Sw 1 scene 7 then SW 2 scene 8 then SW 3 tap tempo the next view is SW 1 Drive 1 SW 2 Delay 1 and finally SW 3 is Tuner I may change the Drive 1 and Delay 1 to per preset switches most of the times I need those and now only those. (I’ve changed my ways) but some songs I need to turn on and off the chorus or Chang channels on the delay or something else. But most effects changes are handled by scene changes.

so far I’m only using 3 layouts

presets. (Default)

scenes (as described above).

looper (default)

I think the default layouts (Matt created)

4c34f090-3242-449e-a6a6-8cdc705b7223-jpeg.64157.jpg

will work for many many users and a great place to start for everyone else wanting to customize things and make the FM 3 truly YOUR own personal musical expression device

I would say, try to concentrate on the possibilities of the 3 switches and not the preconceived limits of the 3 switches

You might want to think about also just getting a smaller 2 button external switch box for tuner and tap tempo - too many taps / holds to get to those functions in your scenario and then back again.

You might want to think about also just getting a smaller 2 button external switch box for tuner and tap tempo - too many taps / holds to get to those functions in your scenario and then back again.
I do have quite a few two button switches lying around. I might but not for tuner and tap. I never need to get to my tuner that drastically. Tap is used only in side man situations usually. The tempos are set per each song in my show. I’ve been using the layout since just before NAMM and its been working nicely. I’m modifying little things here and there.

it’s one hold view button to get to tap and another to the right view to get to tuner or one hold on the right view plus to get to the tap and one hold left view plus to get to the tuner. The view wrap around left view - goes to last page right view + goes to next page. Theres only 3 pages

Jeez I have to tune like every song. :) But I do a lot of extreme bending and whammy stuff (without a floyd)....
You might wanna take that in for a pro setup unless you’re Pete Townsend. No guitar worth it’s weight should be that unstable. You might even need a new/better nut or saddles. Also, pre-stretching new strings is a good idea.

Definitely pretty user friendly and functional setup. As I learned on my FC6.....the three functions on each switch is killer.....
... you said it right ... definitely don't look at the limitations, but the possibilities.....
and it did take a bit to remember which holds do what on my setup! :oops:

You might wanna take that in for a pro setup unless you’re Pete Townsend. No guitar worth it’s weight should be that unstable. You might even need a new/better nut or saddles. Also, pre-stretching new strings is a good idea.

It's not the guitar. This happens to me on ANY guitar that doesn't have a Floyd on it. I just bend and whammy like crazy on a lot of songs. I really need a floyd but I HATE dealing with them.

I figured it was something like that, but I just couldn’t put it together. Thanks for the explanation. I’ve got a lot to learn coming from the AX8. At least the back order is giving me time to try to navigate the learning curve. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom