How high with CPU have you gone and been stable?

Don't have the FM9 yet, but the Axe 3 I have some close to 85% that I actually use gigging. Never burps...

Imported a 3rd party dual-amp artist patch that was designed for AXE III. Took several attempts to get it to load into my FM9. Once imported, it took several attempts to figure out which scenes would freeze and force a power cycle. With all extra shunts eliminated I can now use the patch with no issues. CPU maxes out at 84%, but that's only when using a scene with the Pitch Block. Other scenes running between 77-79% So far so good (fingers crossed). First rehearsal no issues, but performance on Sunday will be a critical test. Not too worried.

I think the highest I've ever pushed on the III was around 88%. Most of that was shunts and effects I hardly ever used. The earlier templates I built.

Note that this might not be the same on different devices. As I understand it, they allocate block types to cpu cores differently, which must in turn make them total up CPU load differently.

Last edited:
Now that this might not be the same on different devices. As I understand it, they allocate block types to cpu cores differently, which must in turn make them total up CPU load differently.
Correct!

This can be significant depending on your signal chain.

For FM9, you have a dedicated core for Reverbs, a dedicated core for Delays (except the Plex, I believe) and a dedicated core for Amps. So you can effectively exclude the load from those blocks from CPU utilization.

The FM3 has a dedicated core for Amp + Delays.

The Axe Fx III has a dedicated CPU for Amps.

I was able to port over my 69-ish% Axe Fx III kitchen sink to the FM9 with a few tweaks to the Cab block after losing a couple blocks (chorus and an envelope Wah) and stay below 80%. I think I can still get one of those back... But the editor becomes really slow...

Back
Top Bottom