How has your QUEST for Better Guitar TONE evolved in 2021 ?

Indeed we are! It actually took me a while to watch your video in the OP, and man, you deliver time and again! Thanks for putting that together, and have an amazing new year!
Thanks a lot man and no hurry….. Internet is not going away anytime soon 😀
I really love making this kind of videos…..very creative work and that helps in this COVID times ;)

• Love
Reactions: J-V
The end of 2021 gave me a few significant leaps forward. The "journey" started in 2020, though. Everything since "the beforetimes" kind of feels like a blur, though. I don't really remember when in the journey 2021 started.

One of the big ones was the FM3, finally. I kind of always knew that I was a prime candidate for modeling due to my preference for classic non-MV amps along with relatively quiet room volumes (topping out low-90s SPL). When you jump through hoops with "real amps" to do that, there are always too many compromises. For some reason, I never did it, though. All the demos I did in stores were underwhelming (though I never demold fractal...still haven't seen one in a store).

I actually first started with a modeling amp, but it was pretty terrible. And my favorite "distortion pedal" was always the best attenuator I could afford. But, when I found myself seriously considering an Ox for a mid-range amp....I figured something had to change. That lead me to the DSM Simplifier.

The simplifier was good, and it was a valuable step in the journey. I still think it's the best of that amp-only "modeling" things out there.

But, the FM3 has more. The setup is simpler. And, it's more versatile. And it's less expensive than my Simplifier-based pedalboard. I haven't gotten around to selling that stuff yet, but I'm seriously considering it. All of my tube amps are gone, and my attenuators are on consignment at a local shop or gone.

One of the smaller changes actually made one of the biggest differences. Something about how I play makes every guitar sound bright and thin. This fall, I put a resistor in parallel with the bridge tone pot to limit it's range. It made a HUGE difference in how often I used my bridge pickups and how easy it was to turn the tone down to a sound I liked. I did it to one guitar first, then to all of them. It's almost certainly going to become part of my standard setup for new guitars.

The most recent change was that at home I now exclusively play through my mastering speakers when I can be "loud" or through a pretty cheap wireless IEM rig when I have to be quiet. Before this setup, I hated playing through the really nice speakers. It turns out that yes, part of it is having "real" room interactions as opposed to the transparent stereo presentation of my main rig. The other part of it was that the speakers I was using and their position in the room were masking some "problems" with my tone as opposed to putting them on full display. It turns out that as the tone got "better", I didn't care as much about the amp-in-the-room thing.

I'm still absolutely convinced that "amp in the room" is mostly about the physical placement of your speaker(s) in the room. But, I know how to get that, at least in a way that pleases me. I'm more entranced right now with a studio-esque presentation either through my nice mains or in-ears. It's very different but very good.
Wow, nice read man ! I can understand your frustrations and the journey you made….. Fractal really is from another world when comes to ‘modeling’ ….. I find that word already not fitting to it but once we know our room sound and understand the difference between the amp in the room and that transparant sound we can get from the Fractal amps and FRFR systems…… I never cared more for the amp in the room sound and much rather preferred the FRFR sound….. will demo this soon in a upcoming video ;)

Thank you for your video. I didn't know that the pure length of the signal chain without any blocks in it has any relevance to the tone.
I think I remember that perhaps Cliff mentioned that it does , how silly little it even is …… one won’t even hear it if you don’t pay attention to it and almost neglectable but in my case no use running that many empty blocks anyhow…..thanks !

I think I remember that perhaps Cliff mentioned that it does , how silly little it even is …… one won’t even hear it if you don’t pay attention to it and almost neglectable but in my case no use running that many empty blocks anyhow…..thanks !
Your're right - we're just used to that from the generation II grids. Silly. Maybe except for some flexibility while the preset is evoluting.

Last edited:
That's easy: I got an FM3 in '21!

But I also discovered I like a flanger (sometimes) with super heavy sounds. I would have never messed with a flanger if it weren't for the FM3. Yay!

My journey last year was the reduction from 16 different amp models in use (for about 30 cover-band song presets) to 4 models. I only use Vox-AC30 TB, Mesa Mark IV, ENGL and Bandmaster models now, so I know more about the models and can improve the basic sound in a preset that just belongs to my settings (guitar, pickups, playing, cable, monitors). Before I wanted to play a Biffy Clyro song with a 100W Plexi. Now I play it with the best sound I get out of my own settings.

I generally reduced to the max: Get rid of 2 amps if not really necessary, less stereo, less complex presets. The longer I play (since Axe Ultra) the less I use for a good live-band sound.

That also eases things up with FW upgrades: Tweaking 16 amp models after an upgrade drives you mad - at that unbelievable FAS upgrade rhythm.

And the journey this year: Get the FM9 as home/backup-system, using the same presets with theAxe III in action with the band. Get rid of the Axe II/MCF101 I currently still use at home - and which still provides great tones.

Well, my journey isn't really about getting "better" tones as much as it's about getting consistent great tones. I've got a small studio full of great amps and a pedal board that I nicknamed "the bass boat" because I could have bought a nice bass boat with what I've invested into the board over the years. But I found that more and more artists and venues prefer us guitar players to run direct instead of using our beloved amps. So my journey in 2021 was to find a way to make work for me. I wanted great tone with great portability.

Tried an Iridium and very much liked it for using for Zoom lessons, but not so much for live use with the "bass boat" board. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't quite "there" if you know what I mean. Used a Captor X to run my amps "silent" on stage and that sounded pretty good, but it didn't solve portability issue. And then I started checking out the FM3. Straight up, my thought process was that it would take the place of my wet effects on "bass boat" and I'd also end up with a solution for running direct. I was also planning on running it with a ps100 (STILL on backorder) and a cab for gigs that I would be allowed an amp.

After a few weeks with it, my game plan totally changed. I don't have any reason to use any of my amps or my '"bass boat" board unless I'm playing some place with no real pa or just pa for the vocals, which I haven't done in a few years to be honest. All the places I gig have sound systems and sound engineers to run them. And so far ALL of them are loving me bringing the FM3 instead of my Fuchs ODS 50 or Tweed Double Deluxe (basically a tweed Bassman), can't imagine why LOL!!

I thought the FM3 would be a compromise; it's not. I haven't turned on any of my amps in weeks. And my newest amp that's being built for me is almost finished. I don't have the heart to tell the builder it's gonna sit in a corner now. I can't imagine I'd ever part with the gear it took my so long to acquire, but I can say this; I haven't looked in the amp or the effects section of TGP ever since I got the FM3, which is nuts. I do read the digital and modeling section, though it gets pretty ridiculous in there, people arguing over their favorite digital gear and such.

And I really dig the Fractal community. Y'all are a great bunch of gear nerds, and I say that with the upmost respect and gratitude.

That's easy: I got an FM3 in '21!

But I also discovered I like a flanger (sometimes) with super heavy sounds. I would have never messed with a flanger if it weren't for the FM3. Yay!
That’s sounds great ! I think the Flanger can sound good with any kind of sounds from clean to very heavy …. But it really depends on WHAT we are playing that will make the flanger sound right….. Van Halen was the man for this kind of ideas …❤️
My journey last year was the reduction from 16 different amp models in use (for about 30 cover-band song presets) to 4 models. I only use Vox-AC30 TB, Mesa Mark IV, ENGL and Bandmaster models now, so I know more about the models and can improve the basic sound in a preset that just belongs to my settings (guitar, pickups, playing, cable, monitors). Before I wanted to play a Biffy Clyro song with a 100W Plexi. Now I play it with the best sound I get out of my own settings.

I generally reduced to the max: Get rid of 2 amps if not really necessary, less stereo, less complex presets. The longer I play (since Axe Ultra) the less I use for a good live-band sound.

That also eases things up with FW upgrades: Tweaking 16 amp models after an upgrade drives you mad - at that unbelievable FAS upgrade rhythm.
The way to go I guess for many of us….. less is more ;)

I am always amazed when seeing a guitar player get so many sounds out of a single channel amp with just using his tone and volume knobs 😀

But on the other hand , when playing covers, great to have the possibilities of using different amps for different songs if needed !

Well, my journey isn't really about getting "better" tones as much as it's about getting consistent great tones. I've got a small studio full of great amps and a pedal board that I nicknamed "the bass boat" because I could have bought a nice bass boat with what I've invested into the board over the years. But I found that more and more artists and venues prefer us guitar players to run direct instead of using our beloved amps. So my journey in 2021 was to find a way to make work for me. I wanted great tone with great portability.

Tried an Iridium and very much liked it for using for Zoom lessons, but not so much for live use with the "bass boat" board. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't quite "there" if you know what I mean. Used a Captor X to run my amps "silent" on stage and that sounded pretty good, but it didn't solve portability issue. And then I started checking out the FM3. Straight up, my thought process was that it would take the place of my wet effects on "bass boat" and I'd also end up with a solution for running direct. I was also planning on running it with a ps100 (STILL on backorder) and a cab for gigs that I would be allowed an amp.

After a few weeks with it, my game plan totally changed. I don't have any reason to use any of my amps or my '"bass boat" board unless I'm playing some place with no real pa or just pa for the vocals, which I haven't done in a few years to be honest. All the places I gig have sound systems and sound engineers to run them. And so far ALL of them are loving me bringing the FM3 instead of my Fuchs ODS 50 or Tweed Double Deluxe (basically a tweed Bassman), can't imagine why LOL!!

I thought the FM3 would be a compromise; it's not. I haven't turned on any of my amps in weeks. And my newest amp that's being built for me is almost finished. I don't have the heart to tell the builder it's gonna sit in a corner now. I can't imagine I'd ever part with the gear it took my so long to acquire, but I can say this; I haven't looked in the amp or the effects section of TGP ever since I got the FM3, which is nuts. I do read the digital and modeling section, though it gets pretty ridiculous in there, people arguing over their favorite digital gear and such.

And I really dig the Fractal community. Y'all are a great bunch of gear nerds, and I say that with the upmost respect and gratitude.
Wow dude, that’s quite a story and nice to hear how things turned the way it sounds best even if it means leaving the heavy amps / cabs at home…..but YES : for live situations, Fractal is hard to beat !

Any pics of your bass boat and amps ?

Have you tried using a load box with your real amps and then feeding into the FM3 for cabs soms and FX ?

Wow dude, that’s quite a story and nice to hear how things turned the way it sounds best even if it means leaving the heavy amps / cabs at home…..but YES : for live situations, Fractal is hard to beat !

Any pics of your bass boat and amps ?

Have you tried using a load box with your real amps and then feeding into the FM3 for cabs soms and FX ?
Here's Bass Boat:

That really IS a boat man hahahah…… but nice collection of pedals !!! And what a job to have it all wired and sorted .
If I see correct : no loop switcher or something of that kind which would mean that you can tap dance quite well ?
LOL! Well, I wouldn't say that. I'm running the entire top row with the MC6 and I have a midi box under the board that lets me change channels on my Fuchs with midi presets. Everything else is just there for flavor. Haven't turned the thing on in weeks. The Fractal rotary is SO much better than the Mobius, which was all I was using it for, so it'll probably be sold at some point. I have fallen out of love with it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom