How hard is it to “shoot an IR”?

bjjp2

Power User
I love the sound of my cab and speaker. But to do a decent job of this do I need special mics? A treated room? Should I bother?

Give it a shot to find out. I shot an IR with a SM57 in my work room which is not acoustically treated. I think the result was great. Sound better than many commercial IR's. YMMV.

Anyone can shoot an IR, but the difference between a bad IR, a good IR, and a great IR comes down to the room it’s captured in, the mic chosen, mic placement, quality of mic pre, quality of conversion, and quality in capturing method. So there are a lot of variables that come into play for the end result.

I think you should try to shoot your own IR. You’ll either love it and find it familiar since it’s your own cab, or you’ll have a greater appreciation for what 3rd party IR makers do. Either way, it’s a great learning experience.

It's at least somewhat fun, specially if you like recording normally. Once you've set everything up, it prettu quick. Altough I do hope AxeEdit/Fractalbot/whatever would allow for an even faster workflow by automatically incrementing filenames... SM57 and any mic pre will get you going.

I like to use the looper, make it play something in the general style you want.

1. Listen to the output of the mic that's in front of the cab, move the mic until you like what you hear,
2. Hit enter. The looper comes back when the sweep is done. (Name the file. This is the most annoying step.)
3. Go to step 1

Back
Top Bottom