How good is the clock in the Axe FX II?

Pwrmac7600

Power User
Is the clock in the Axe Fx II MKII good enough to slave my DAW off of?
I am currently using a BLA clock to control my DAW, and without a Spdif adaptor I can not use it as a clock for my Axe, is the clock in the Axe quality enough to use as my master clock for my entire setup?

I use the SPDIF output exclusively while tracking guitars/bass through the Axe-Fx. The Axe-Fx must be the master clock in this scenario, and it's always been solid and stable for me. No issues here. Having said that, when tracking vocals or anything else that isn't going direct, I switch over to clocking off of the optical output of my Universal Audio 4-710d.

I use the SPDIF output exclusively while tracking guitars/bass through the Axe-Fx. The Axe-Fx must be the master clock in this scenario, and it's always been solid and stable for me. No issues here. Having said that, when tracking vocals or anything else that isn't going direct, I switch over to clocking off of the optical output of my Universal Audio 4-710d.

I think it changed a while ago, axe can be also slave to 48khz. Thats how i use the spdif out in my studio and i dont hear any crackles as it was the case back in the time when axe wasnr the master in the chain. You should set axe clock to "auto"

I used axe as master clock for a long time with my fireface800 or uad apollo without issues. But i think you dont have to use axe as master anymore, u can take the spdif out of your interface and slave axe to it...which makes u use one more spdif cable but you dont have to have axe fx on to use your interface for other purposes. You should set axe clock to "auto

I used axe as master clock for a long time with my fireface800 or uad apollo without issues. But i think you dont have to use axe as master anymore, u can take the spdif out of your interface and slave axe to it...which makes u use one more spdif cable but you dont have to have axe fx on to use your interface for other purposes. You should set axe clock to "auto

Hmmm...did it change in a firmware revision, or is this specific to the XL and XL+ models? My Axe is a first gen Axe-Fx II, so I'm not sure if I have that functionality or not. Cool to have if so, not a big deal if not. I don't consider my current workflow to be restrictive at all, so I'm good either way. :)

It is FW based. It changed in FW 18.01
=================
Added “Word Clock” parameter to I/O->Audio menu. This selects the clock source for the A/D and D/A converters as follows:
Auto: uses the internal clock if the input source is Analog or USB. Uses the recovered SPDIF/AES clock if the input is SPDIF/AES.
SPDIF/AES IN: uses the recovered clock for all input sources. A valid 48 kHz data stream must be present at the AES or SPDIF input. If a valid stream is not detected the unit will fall back to the internal clock and display "NO INPUT CLOCK!". The SPDIF/AES select must be set to the
appropriate value, i.e. if the data stream is input to the XLR jack then SPDIF/AES SELECT must be set to AES.
=================

It is FW based. It changed in FW 18.01
=================
Added “Word Clock” parameter to I/O->Audio menu. This selects the clock source for the A/D and D/A converters as follows:
Auto: uses the internal clock if the input source is Analog or USB. Uses the recovered SPDIF/AES clock if the input is SPDIF/AES.
SPDIF/AES IN: uses the recovered clock for all input sources. A valid 48 kHz data stream must be present at the AES or SPDIF input. If a valid stream is not detected the unit will fall back to the internal clock and display "NO INPUT CLOCK!". The SPDIF/AES select must be set to the
appropriate value, i.e. if the data stream is input to the XLR jack then SPDIF/AES SELECT must be set to AES.
=================

Cool. Good to know if I ever need it. Thanks. :)

Well.... It took 1.21 jiggawatts of electricity, or roughly the same amount as a bolt of lightning, and didn't flinch... So that good

I use the Clock from my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 exclusively, and Axe FX slaves from it.
This way I can avoid switching things around when recording different things...

Back
Top Bottom