How good exactly are Axe-Fx II's cleans

I'm mostly a jazz player and I own a couple Fender Deluxe Reverbs, which are now pretty much collecting dust in the corner ever since I got my AxeFX. Recently I had to bring one of my Fenders to a jazz gig because I had another gig back to back where I was using my AxeFX as a bass amp and had to leave it set up there (so I could drive from one gig to the next and just plug my bass in and go). After playing through the AxeFX for months and finally playing a "real amp" on a gig, I was missing my AxeFX! There were a few things about the Fender that were bugging me, and if I had the Axe I could easily dial out and fix my sound, but I was stuck with as I only had 'bass' and 'treble' controls to toy with on the real thing.

There's a whole host of clean amps in the Axe, from several Fenders (Twin, Deluxe, Super, Vibrolux, Vibroverb, two Bassmans, and a few more), a couple Vox amps, some really nice clean Mesa Boogies, a Roland Jazz Chorus, and a few others, all with matching cabs. The Axe definitely does cleans well.

I have played through Fenders(e.g. Vibroverbs and Twins) most of my life and now Tone Kings. I have had others like the Bogner Shiva and the Hughes and Kettner Triamp Mk II ALSE. I was surprised at the warmth and complexity I could get out of the Axe's cleans now. Having the Axe inspired me to go find opportunities where I could test the other things like the '59 Bassman, Vox AC-30 and 15, the HiWatt DR-103, and the Matchless Chieftain in the flesh. I found the Axe to be damned close and that was a couple a firmware versions ago. Things are closer now.

Clean tones in v10 are fantastic. I have been really connecting with the Fender amps in this firmware way more so than before. They have the sparkle that Fender amps are known for. There are several other great non-Fender clean amps (really too numerous to list, but I really like the jtm45 and dumble to name a few).

you will find that the axe fx is very dynamic and responds well to pick attack. Other modelling gear can make guitars sound the same, whereas the Axe lets the character of my guitars shine through.

on a scale of 1 to great, v10 clean amp models come in at monumental. Gives me a guitardon.

I play in an R&B/soul Band.

I would not know a good metal/high gain tone if it slapped me in the face ... LOL

Cleans ... well that is another story.

Owned many vintage Fender amps over the years .. the vintage amp collection in FW10 is top notch.

If you are into cleans, AF2 with FW10 will put a smile on your face.

The cleans and edge of break up tones are there in spades. At rehearsal I play only clean and since fw10 they are as good as the real thing.
One thing though that you must take into consideration is how you will play your axe..
Through asolid state power amp with a regular guitar cab? Where you can't use the axe fx cab modelling.
Or through a high end frfr-type monitor?

The latest FW should be renamed 10/10, because it's THAT good. I actually stopped using my Bogner Uberschall and Roadking last year. The Axe Fx algorithms make me grin when I hear FOH send my signal to the stage monitors. Everything sounds and responds just like the real m'coy. Even the sound guys love me.

On a scale from 1 to 10, they come in at an 11.

What he said !

I've always played heavier music, and love the axe for my heavy tones, but have never been able to get a clean sound I was truly happy with.... Until I pulled up an AC30 patch on the AxeFX II, put in a stereo Chorus at stock settings after the cab... INSTANT BLISS !!... I was literally LAUGHING ! The clean, bell-like tone that I had always heard in my head, was now coming out of my guitar... FINALLY !!

I've played Fenders (Twin & Princeton), with a sprinkling of others (Rivera, Mesa) for over 30 years. I was actually happy with my Twin sound on the Ultra, FW version 3 or something. Now with the II and FW 10, I have it even better. As of FW 9, I finally left the Twin amp model for the Super Reverb (which I just call 'Superb' for short). It's luscious, velvety, with a nice smooth breakup when I want it. I STILL find I break up at lower input setting etc. on the AXE than on my real amps, but that is easily remedied with the twist of a knob.

At this point, I have all the things I love about my 'real' Fender amps (warm, round, organic clean-to-break sound), but none of the things I don't (moodiness, tube aging, adverse reaction to mains voltage variations), PLUS more: I have a kind of 'hi-fi' clarity that I love. Not everyone does love that - but that's also easily remedied: play into a real cab instead of an FRFR system. For me, the audience is hearing what I'm hearing for the first time. That's priceless.

I think it is very good at producing authentic and believable vintage clean tones.

However, after reading your self-description, I don't know that you personally would gain anything by playing through an Axe FX. The only consideration I could see would be it's space saving size, compared to having many amps. But you admitted you desire to have the instant feedback and interaction with a speaker. So, you would be looking at an expensive multi-fx processor, expensive foot controller, and expensive FRFR speaker.

You just killed portability and ease of carrying.

A guy like you is much better off with a 1x10 or 1x12 tube combo, a volume/wah, and a clean boost pedal.

And THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

I live in Surrey, UK.

I'd be very interested in the 'money back guarantee' (i.e. try before buy) but I feel it could be dodgy as in I won't get my money back if I decide to return it. A lot of companies do that these days.

Back
Top Bottom