How does the the FM3 take pedals?

Any issues or specific settings required to run a Cali 76 Compressor and Nano Pog into the FM3? I'm looking to free up some DSP on the FM3 but want to make sure I do things properly.

Any issues or specific settings required to run a Cali 76 Compressor and Nano Pog into the FM3? I'm looking to free up some DSP on the FM3 but want to make sure I do things properly.
Nope. Just plug it in like you would a real amp. Either go in front or use Out2/In2 as an effects loop, depending on the effect.

Just finished a complex rig for a pro players and no problem at all with pedals before the FM3 and in its FXloop. Customer super satisfied. ;-)

FM3 does not have the Input Impedance Switching Circuit.
Having your Wah & Fuzz out front would be proper as Fuzz & Wah usually have impedance that would load your guitar pickups authentically, but the Volume Pedal 1st may negate that effect...???
Also the Fuzz would not Load your Pickups unless your Wah is True Bypass.

But no impedance circuit on the FM3
From the Wiki
  • Axe-Fx III: variable, Input 1 (front and rear)
  • FM3: fixed at 1 Megaohm
  • Axe-Fx II: variable, front input
  • FX8: variable, instrument input
  • AX8: fixed at 1 Megaohm
Most tube amps have a fixed 1M input impedance as well... so there's that.

832B0E87-2977-4CEC-96DE-F03B60ED89BE.jpeg
I run this board into my FM3 kind of like I’m running it 4CM into an amp. Comp and drives in front, then the EQ, delay, and Verb after the amp and cab block inserted the way the manual suggests using outboard gear. I find it’s just as satisfying as running it through a tube amp. Haven’t had to change any pedal settings and it feels right too. I use the Suhr Badger Amp model.

Most tube amps have a fixed 1M input impedance as well... so there's that.
Yes, but a Wah or Fuzz Does Not, impedance is low & interacts with the Guitar Pickups... so I was really making the Point that he would want them out Front ideally to get an authentic Fuzz or Wah Loading of the Pickups...
I never really noticed a difference personally, but also rarely use "Crutches"... ahem... I mean a Wah... LOL

I really found that the "Virtual" Pedals in the FM3 goose the Amp Better than an OverDrive into the Input overdriving an A/D & not really driving the Amp Input. The Virtual Device should mimic this Behavior better in my experience.

Can you please suggest if I need a pedal such as RC before FM3 if my pickups are Fishman Abasi set?

Sorry I do not know anything about the Fishman
Generally speaking a High Impedance input will not have ill effects on most things.
The switchable impedance just makes it so it can emulate the load a fuzz would have on your guitar for instance.

Just thought I add something to this thread before it hits page 4 and beyond. I know this is brought up a lot. I’m running a DOD Carcosa, Fulltone Octafuzz, and a Fulltone 69 pedal out front. There is a difference in response to the models in the FM3. Might be negligible to many but I definitely prefer fuzz pedals out front and they work perfectly going into the amps in the FM3. Had a Source Audio Nemesis running in stereo in the loop when I had an FM3 a while and it worked perfectly as well.
I wouldn’t hesitate putting drives, fuzzes or any dirt in front of the unit.

Just thought I add something to this thread before it hits page 4 and beyond. I know this is brought up a lot. I’m running a DOD Carcosa, Fulltone Octafuzz, and a Fulltone 69 pedal out front. There is a difference in response to the models in the FM3. Might be negligible to many but I definitely prefer fuzz pedals out front and they work perfectly going into the amps in the FM3. Had a Source Audio Nemesis running in stereo in the loop when I had an FM3 a while and it worked perfectly as well.
I wouldn’t hesitate putting drives, fuzzes or any dirt in front of the unit.
Agreed! I would add that if you like the sound of delays and reverbs in front of the amps, the Fractal products take them just like the real amps as well.

This is how I've done on my board...

In front: Volume Dunlop > CAE 404 Wah > Odin Fuzz
FX loop: Tumnus Dlx > Bonsai > Duellist > Gladio

Why? In most of my presets, I use the first two scenes as clean tones, so having my drives in the FX loop allows me to turn on/off the drives in whichever stacking combination I set them previously, without the hassle of tap dancing in the middle of the songs. Also, I've read somewhere in this forum that part of the magic of the FM3 with the amp modeling relies on its input impedance, therefore I didn't want to mess around with that and opted to the Fx loop. I tried put them in front though and even though the sound did not change at all the response to certain notes did a bit.

View attachment 87520
View attachment 87521
In any case, feel free to experiment and go through the road that suits you best.

Cheers!
Great board!

Back
Top Bottom