How does the REVERB in Axe II compare to Eventide, Bricasti, TC...?

rcd

Inspired
I need a really good dedicated hardware reverb unit for vocals, both live and in studio. I was thinking of the Bricasti but that's some serious change and need to know if the Axe II's reverb can hang as an alternative? If it can't hang with the Bricasti, how does the Axe's reverb compare with the Eventide Eclipse or TC reverbs? Also, if I go with the Axe II for recording vocal reverb duties, how would I route it in Pro Tools? Input 1 or 2?

Thanks!
rcd

I haven't had experience with the Bricasti, but I would have to give the Eventide the edge as an all round (i.e. non guitar specific) reverb. The Eclipse's "Stereo Plate" was my studio go-to for years. T.C. I have only used in a guitar context, and in that field I would give it to the Axe.

For ITB with Pro tools, I would look at Altiverb and even the UAD with the Lexicon and EMT plugins. With the Apollo you could use the UAD plugins live, but really for live settings something like a lower end T.C. would probably be fine. Those beautiful subtleties in reverbs get lost really fast, live :)

Just my thoughts...

I personally think AFX2 is on par if not beyond the Eclipse, a unit I had for about two years prior to purchasing my first AFX. I don't even think TC is worth mentioning in this context. But I wouldn't even go so far as try to compare them to a DAW convolution reverb. There's just not enough DSP to do stuff like that yet. The Axe-FX excels in amp modeling. However, some of the effect need a bit more DSP, IMHO, if this unit is ever going to be used as more than a guitar processor. Like for instance the bass response of some reverbs have this slight aliasing going on. I usually use the plate reverbs in this unit since they are brighter and lack this element. I sometimes think some of the effect blocks in the unit suck the tone out of the amps, but I cant put my finger on what it can be. If there ever is an AFX3 unit, I would like an entire DSP dedicated to convolution reverbs and cabs - cabs that act non linear when pushed and actually sound like they are moving air. That would be truly awesome!

In any case the Axe-FX 2 is a guitar processor, not an effects unit per se, and as such it simply is the best unit ever made by man. In this light, IMHO, your question is a bit irrelevant...

Last edited:
Also FWIW the Axe reverb is not what I would call "true Stereo Reverb". I am absolutely fine with this for a guitar processor, but as an aux rev for mixing it would be nice. But if you are ever going to use the amp and cab facilities of the Axe, that might be a small compromise...

Axe FX II: Peerles guitar processor, also really good for other things :)

Its apples to oranges to compare the Bricasti M7 with the AxeFx reverb.

IMO the Bricasti is a better as a dedicated verb.

I really like the UAD Lexicon and UAD EMT too.

Is the UAD Lexicon the same as the Waves PCM Lexicon? If not, how do they differ? I have Waves Lex PCM and do like it, but need something better...even if it's going to cost me.

Sorry for pissing everyone off:

Reverb:
Eventide>Axe Fx II
TC Electronics >Axe Fx II

I would never use it for reverb on vocals- use a plugin

Bricasti is in another class altogether IMO.

It's...well, you have to hear it.

Love the verbs in the axe2 for guitar, but the Bricasti is just a whole, bigger amazing animal for VOX.

Yeah, I'd say the reverb on the Axe is fine for really obvious washy stuff, and for live purposes. But I'd never use it for anything else if I were doing a serious recording. I cut a significant amount of the low out because it definitely causes some aliasing, and I also trim the highs down to somewhere between 2500 and 4000 Hz and can get a much less tin can type sound out of it, but if I'm recording serious stuff, I'll just use plugins every time because they spank the Axe. If I had enough money for a Bricasti or TC electronics, I might consider it, but I'm happy with my Lexicon LXP and will one day get the Lexicon PCM verbs.

Hmmmm idea: might use my now redundant eventide Timefactor stomp, for wacko vocal effects - for gigs that is. It's a good quality unit.

Last edited:
I must say, the convolution reverb built into my DAW (Samplitude) is AMAZING! I don't use it for everything - sometimes I don't want a natural-sounding reverb, I want something like a plate or spring, or even an old-school digi-verb sound, etc., but when I want to replicate a natural space, I use the 'room simulator' (convo-reverb) that comes with Samp. It is a cpu hog, massively, but it is amazing, and I'd love to hear it head-to-head with a Bricasti. Anyone wanna lend me one? I'll be happy to post recordings of my results! :lol

It all depends on the application. I have been using the IK Multimedia "Classic Studio Reverb" plugin in my DAW for years. Once you get into the detail a plugin like this allows for anything else is just plain......

Owning several TC Electronic pieces, the Axe FX II's reverb doesn't even hold it's own vs my original G-Major reverbs. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I spent the time, and it's been my experience thus far.

That said, The reverb in the Axe FX II is sufficient, but I tend to use delay's instead these days for live as it's less muddy.

To me the reverbs in the Axe FXII are it's weakest link as far as effects go. Enough so that I don't even use them. Even my little TC Electronics Nova Reverb sounds better.
Fractal has continued to constantly improve the Axe and I expect that they will eventually improve the reverbs. It seems like anything that is brought to their attention by the Fractal community that is legitimate, they eventually do something about. They seem to truly be striving for perfection.

Is the Strymon BlueSky a consideration? It is far superior to the axe. Have you tried the Axe's reverb in parallel with mix at 100% using the level to control mix?

Back
Top Bottom