How does Cliff (or employees of Fractal) monitor this beast?

That's exactly what happens less capacitance equals brighter with less midrange bump.
Close. As cable capacitance increases, passive pickups experience more treble rolloff, and the pickup's treble peak shifts to a lower frequency.

Close. As cable capacitance increases, passive pickups experience more treble rolloff, and the pickup's treble peak shifts to a lower frequency.
Actually if we're really doing this... It's not the increase in capacitance that that moves the bump before the roll off, but how the pickups inductance reacts to the capacitance. But we are saying the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Assuming were talking passive pickups then you should expect like below 40 pF fit even crap cable and like 15-20 for good cables. I capacitance does more than roll off treble, at least in passive pickups, it bumps mids. So I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing.
Damn, Ed. You really got me to thinking about what my cable's capacitance was because I've always noticed that my guitars sounded slightly duller than other guy's. I use Canare GS-6 cables and looked up the capacitance...and it's 160 pF/m. Wow. Didn't know that they were that high. Just ordered some new cables that are 25 pF/ft. Let's see if I can hear a difference when they come in.

Damn, Ed. You really got me to thinking about what my cable's capacitance was because I've always noticed that my guitars sounded slightly duller than other guy's. I use Canare GS-6 cables and looked up the capacitance...and it's 160 pF/m. Wow. Didn't know that they were that high. Just ordered some new cables that are 25 pF/ft. Let's see if I can hear a difference when they come in.

My Strat sounds and plays better with a higher cap cable. George L's no work-y on my Strat.

I'm not Fractal staff but I've been dialing with Adam S2-A's for a number of years. They don't steer me wrong and they translate pretty good to PA. They're discontinued http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/archive/S2A
1233123794000_506131.jpg

Looks like S2-X is the new version http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/s2x/description

Reactions: edo
To need out on cable stuff...
http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cables.shtml

I could never make George L's work for me, always too bright.
Been using nothing but Evidence for a decade now.
First Lyric HG, then Melody. The last ones I got was their Forte (2 20 footer and 2 10 footer) about 5 years. One of the 20s obscanded years ago. The other three have are pretty essential to me hearing shit sound right unless I want to run a buffer or use EMGs or a Variax.

My personal monitors are Adam S2X. I also have their sub.
I think they're fantastic. I listen in a treated room that was designed by Joel from Ready Acoustics.

.. and Adam A7X (still) works great with AFX2 if s2a is a little bit pricey

Last edited:
Lots of people have gotten good results from the EV ZLX monitors. I use an EV ZLX15P and a pair of Mackie MR8s. Yeah I know the Mackies overemphasize the lows, I cant hear for crap anyway so there's that. Anyway the the EV was just a bit over $400 and I think it sounds really good with my AXEFX.

I monitored through Event, Mackie, Focal, Equators, KRK, Presonus, Adams, Genelec and Yamaha NS10s...
I'm always good with NS10, I don't mind Mackies for low volume. The rest particularly the Equators I hate for the Axe.
And when everything is done and I don't need to have anything but guitar in there for my money nothing touched my old Atomic Reactors.

Back
Top Bottom