How do you use the X/Y functionality on your Axe II?

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
I have an Axe II on the way and am excited/worried about the X/Y functionality on the II. No worried really, but wondering how best to make use of it.

- How do you guys use X/Y switching compared to switching patches, and how do you work with it on your MFC (or other foot controller)?
- Do you tend to use X/Y with a single or multiple effects blocks?
- How many IA switches have you set up to use for X/Y and by doing so what switches did you swap out from your Ultra configurations?

Thanks for any info - it's a bit nebulous for me at the moment since I don't have my II yet.

I started off with Amp XY, but I found it confusing for live use. Went back to dual amp blocks.

I use XY on 4 fx blocks: Drive, Phaser, Chorus, Delay. In each of my main 'amp' presets.
There's a dedicated IA for each fx to switch between XY, available after pressing Reveal.

I've chosen Y as the default state, because that keeps the XY switches' LEDs red.

It's a great feature, cuts down the number of required presets, but it does require some planning and careful editing.

My first pass with X/Y was to use it to transition between pairs of drive/amp/cab setups, so each amp would have the appropriate drive and cab. One IA switches all three X/Y at once.

My next thought is to use it in a similar fashion (transition multiple blocks) but more as a rhythm/lead switch within the same amp type or sound. Lots of possibilities...

i mainly use the x/Y function to switch between my amp blocks. this allows me to have two different amp settings in one preset. i pretty much just use it to have two different levels of gain on one patch.
then i have my drive block. between the drive block and the XY amp block i have 4 different levels of gain in one preset. works fine for me during a show. i can make it through a show only using 2-3 patches sometimes.

The one thing i really like about the XY feature is that you dont have to make X and Y the same model. for example you can have X and Y be two totally different amps. not just different setting.
pretty cool

I have an Axe2 and set up two XY IAs on the MFC. One for Amp1 and the other for Drive 1. I don't play live. I tend to use the Amp XY to switch between low gain/bright off to either higher gain or boost on and bright on (for single channel NMV amps). I set the Drive XY from low drive to high drive. For example, running a TS9 as a boost and then as an overdrive.

I use a M13 for most pre preamplifier effects, (having 12 variations of ODs, Mods, and Filters) is pretty cool with the addition of the Axe variations and they sound great with the Axe. I find it easier to have the M13 as my "pedal board" as opposed to setting up a pedal board in each and every preset on the AXe 2

I am using X/Y assigning the amp and cab to one IA switch on the MFC. I set up a complimentary tone to the X with the Y settings. I then think of it as channel switching (though I often also switch up the cabinets with it too between the two amp blocks). Great with how I 'think' about presets - for example, my Shiva preset is a Shiva clean on X and a Shiva OD on Y. I can then also have different cab setups for both. It's like two.... two presets in one! :D

I like the idea above of also switching up the Drive block with the same switch. Great suggestion guys. Hmmmm....

At the moment on my AC30TB patch I have my basic amp sound X, on Y I have it "cranked to the verge of catastrophic explosion" for a squishy, sustainy, mids-heavy lead sound. Fun stuff.

I use five XY's with the MFC.

An Amp/CabXY that switches Amp and Cab with one IA to either a second variation of one amp type or two completely different amps/cabs.

Reverb XY-lets me kick in a really big or much wetter verb at the touch of a switch instead of using one of my Exp pedals, which I reserve for wah, volume, phaser/vibe/rotary/trem rates and Delay mix.

Drive XY- I set up 3 different Drives using an XY for Drive 1, and, a Drive 2 (no Drive 2 XY) Three Drives is plenty for me.

Delay XY- gives me a tempo based longer delay type, and a slap (single repeat, set tempo) type delay(tape delay sounds great for this)

This setup allows me a lot of options in one preset.
Pretty cool stuff.

Hi Kev,

I know this thread is ~5 years old, but I saw your mention (below) of using a single IA on the MFC to switch both Amp and Cab at the same time. This is exactly what I'm looking to do with several presets with my MFC, but have not heard of doing so without using an expression pedal. Can you shed some light how you did so?

I use five XY's with the MFC.

An Amp/CabXY that switches Amp and Cab with one IA to either a second variation of one amp type or two completely different amps/cabs.

This setup allows me a lot of options in one preset.

Hi Kev,

I know this thread is ~5 years old, but I saw your mention (below) of using a single IA on the MFC to switch both Amp and Cab at the same time. This is exactly what I'm looking to do with several presets with my MFC, but have not heard of doing so without using an expression pedal. Can you shed some light how you did so?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/help-setting-up-amp1-amp2-switching.78799/#post-958345
This is what I do. I have a footswitch on my MFC101 assigned to the Vol1 block. It starts out green for the Amp1 patch and then I can hit it to switch to the Amp2 path. You can also places stuff besides just the amp on the path of course. I the specific place where I used it, the Amp 2 patch also has it's own drive block.
-
Austin

Holy resurrection... 5 years has to be some sort of record!
I give credit though... clearly you google (or some other) searched for you answer before posting the question.

Here is what I don't get... why would you not just use scenes for this? That's what scenes are all about. change the scene, and change as many X/Y settings, blocks on/off, and controller other parameters (with scene controllers) as you like...

Don't even remember writing this...so much has changed in five years but yeah, a "before scenes" post for sure. Scenes have changed everything for the better and made it much easier to do just about anything.

Scenes are great, but I use X/Y a lot as well. I use X/Y on amp block 1 it to change Matchless DC 30 from a clean tone to a mid gain, same for Amp2 for 2 different High gain settings. I have 2 different delay settings on X/Y, and my favourite? 2 different cabs on X/Y, just awesome.

OH! Just saw how old the OP was, posting reply anyway!

Back
Top Bottom