How do you take care of your Axe-Fx in the best way?

Do you go get a towel and a glass of water for her, too? LOL

You can't cook bacon naked but you sure can play guiter.

Totally unnecessary if you have a surge protector or a Furman type power conditioner.

Not necessarily. Your rack power conditioner will only protect surges that come from mains power. If you've got USB, audio, MIDI, or other cables connected to other devices like PC's, audio interfaces, etc. that are on different outlets and may not be as protected, the surge can still make its way to your rack. Many PC's have been fried while on quality surge protectors because their network or modem (old school ;)) connections were not surge protected. Any cable connection is a potential path.

My two TLC cents:
Like many fellows here my axe purchase represents a monetary effort and I try to care for to last many years, I have my box in a rackbag with a power conditioner and since I like to plug/unplug cables in a daily basis I installed a patchbay in order to don't stress the connectors (jack input , XLR out , midi in and midi out ). The back of the rack is always closed, when I want to play I open the front of the rack and plug my cables, when I'm finished I unplug all (power outlet included) and close the rack, this keeps the unit dust-free...since I tend to loose the jack-minijack adapters I have one plugged in the headphones output permanently, so when I want to plug my headphones minijack late at night the axe is always ready for the party.
It deserves this and much more

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Your rack power conditioner will only protect surges that come from mains power. If you've got USB, audio, MIDI, or other cables connected to other devices like PC's, audio interfaces, etc. that are on different outlets and may not be as protected, the surge can still make its way to your rack. Many PC's have been fried while on quality surge protectors because their network or modem (old school ;)) connections were not surge protected. Any cable connection is a potential path.
All that stuff is on the same UPS. I'm good.

Mine gets treated like any other tool or instrument. At a gig it gets spattered with beer, sweat and talcum powder. At home it sits my workshop, and gets covered in saw dust or whatever else is blowing around. If it doesn't like it then it's not the right tool for the job.

Surge protector is a good idea...quality one's could save you from a lightning strike...it's the same as a computer

Surge protector will not protect you from a brown out which is probably more common. Lost an ADA MP2 one time...AC line volt regulation much better but much more expensive

Depends on how dirty it is. Power surges can definitely stress components. Brown outs are low voltage, so they are usually not as dangerous to components directly, but can still cause malfunctions and data corruption. Everything in the Axe is powered by DC, so incoming AC is converted, filtered, and regulated quite a bit by the internal power supply. That takes care of a lot of line noise, but if it's bad enough you could still get a tiny bit of noise and ripple with some power supplies. The A/D and D/A converters are still analog, so it's possible that any remaining noise could maybe make it into the audio signal there as buzzes or hum. The power supply itself will take most of the abuse from dirty power, but if the power is bad enough, it could damage other components as well. With the crazy high voltages and current of something like a lightning strike though, all bets are off.

As for tonal changes, it's highly unlikely in the Axe. The power supply in the Axe II is most likely a switch-mode power supply since it take universal input (100V to 240V AC). As long as the input voltage is somewhere in that range and relatively steady, the DC output of the power supply should stay quite consistent. Real tube amps, on the other hand, use much simpler transformer, rectifier, and filter capacitor based power supplies. There the output voltage of the power supply is directly proportional to the input voltage so any ripple or variation in the wall voltage is reflected directly in the audio signal. The term "brown sound" comes from the low input voltage associated with a power brown-out. Folks used variacs (large variable transformers) to purposely lower the input voltage and brown-out the amp for a different tone and response. Lower voltages in a tube amp make it compress and clip easier for a squishier and more gainy tone. If the input voltage drops enough below 100 volts on the Axe, it will most likely get erratic or glitchy or just reboot or turn off completely.

Last edited:
Surge protector will not protect you from a brown out which is probably more common. Lost an ADA MP2 one time...AC line volt regulation much better but much more expensive

In some cases yeah .... What we are talking about is reducing risk not completely eliminating it. Some one grabbing a surge protector (various levels of quality there also) is way better than nothing.

My AxeFX is happy .....I turn it on every time I walk into the room ... and that's with just normal clothes on ...... I'm actually afraid to try it with my velvet smoking jacket and jodhpurs on

Back
Top Bottom