How do you sort/arrange your amp presets on your computer?

marklumsley

By that, I mean: say you're one of (presumably) many Fractal users who make presets/global blocks of each amp (and their most suited factory/user IR) so that they can be easily called up, ready to be smothered with effects (or not!) for recording/jamming at a moment's notice.
Would you arrange them as folders in terms of brand's nationality or era? Or class type? Or even in order of the amount of gain from a little to a lot, or just simply alphabetical?

Obviously there's no right or wrong method. I'm just curious about how meticulous other people might get about this sort of stuff. :)

Personally, I've done it in order of release date (i.e. '60 Fender Concert 6G etc.).

I think most people arrange their presets and scenes according to their set lists so they can more easily step through them as the set progresses. If I played out that's what I'd do.

I arrange my presets based on use. With my AX8, I use it for live performance so I set it up accordingly. For live use, I need a couple of clean amps, a couple of rhythm amps, and a couple of leads. So I set up my AX8 left to right as follows:
1 = ambient
5 = wet Vox AC30TB
2 = Lonestar
6 = clean Vox AC30TB
3 = 100w Plexi
7 = 50w Plexi
4 = Tucana
8 = Brit Pre Lead (modified)

I set up 2 banks the same way with one bank EQed for single coils (preset name with an S) and the other bank EQed for humbuckers (preset name with an H). For each song I am performing I call up the appropriate preset. My effects are set up the same way in each preset so when I step on a footswitch, I don't have to guess what will happen. If the song calls for more than one preset, I put the AX8 in sticky mode to switch between presets.

I set up my Axe FX by banks but I presently only use the Axe for recording.

By that, I mean: say you're one of (presumably) many Fractal users who make presets/global blocks of each amp (and their most suited factory/user IR) so that they can be easily called up, ready to be smothered with effects (or not!) for recording/jamming at a moment's notice.
Would you arrange them as folders in terms of brand's nationality or era? Or class type? Or even in order of the amount of gain from a little to a lot, or just simply alphabetical?

Obviously there's no right or wrong method. I'm just curious about how meticulous other people might get about this sort of stuff. :)

Personally, I've done it in order of release date (i.e. '60 Fender Concert 6G etc.).

Wow, the OCD..... ;):p

I just use two amps for everything, with a separate factory IR for each one. Fender Twin for clean and fuzz driven leads, boosted Marshall for crunch. That's what I used prior to having the Axe, that's what I continue to use. I do not even bother to listen to all the other amps. I could, but I did not get the Axe to play a with a gazillion amps and IR's, I got it so I would have easy to handle presets for each song. No more having to tapdance and turn knobs between and during songs.

As for how I store my presets on my PC, everything in a single folder. The only concession to organization is an excel file that keeps track of my global blocks and preset scenes.

Wow, the OCD..... ;):p

I just use two amps for everything, with a separate factory IR for each one. Fender Twin for clean and fuzz driven leads, boosted Marshall for crunch. That's what I used prior to having the Axe, that's what I continue to use. I do not even bother to listen to all the other amps. I could, but I did not get the Axe to play a with a gazillion amps and IR's, I got it so I would have easy to handle presets for each song. No more having to tapdance and turn knobs between and during songs.

As for how I store my presets on my PC, everything in a single folder. The only concession to organization is an excel file that keeps track of my global blocks and preset scenes.

Haha! Well I just know that with something as flexible as the Axe-Fx 2, you're bound to attract a fair few people who like to keep things in some sort of order or classification and what-not.
Funnily enough, I've never thought of using Excel until you mentioned it. Hm!

Haha! Well I just know that with something as flexible as the Axe-Fx 2, you're bound to attract a fair few people who like to keep things in some sort of order or classification and what-not.
Funnily enough, I've never thought of using Excel until you mentioned it. Hm!

I'd say that whatever works for you can never be wrong. And I guess it could help to wrap your mind as to what you can really do with the Axe if you fully explore and catalog its options.

As for Excel, I've been using it like forever to keep track of my collections and stuff. Probably way more then I use it for what it was designed for. Make spreadsheets that involve calculations. So to use it for the Axe was completely natural to me.

Inside the Axe-Fx II, ll except for my 16-or-so favorite current "presets du jour" are arranged chronologically in the order I created them, placed in the empty banks after the factory presets.

On the computer, I just manage them alphabetically.

On the AX8, my created presets occupy banks 18-37 arranged in the order they were created.

I change the 8 presets in bank 17 based on immediate needs.

Back
Top Bottom