How do you setup AxeFX for ideal home recording with all sounds thru the unit?

romanianreaper

Power User
So, right now I do the most ridiculous setup with my AxeFX-II. I have Bose speakers plugged into my computer. I can hear backing tracks on Reaper but not my guitar tone, so I record at low volumes so I can hear my guitar acoustically. When I play it back, then I can hear the full guitar tone.

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of studio monitors. If I plug them into the AxeFX-II, do I run the unit as a soundcard and hear everything thru the monitors? Is there a way that I could hear my guitar tone now with my current setup? I don't think Reaper will allow me to hear the guitar tone as I play.

Guitar --> AxeFX --> Mackie 1402-VLZ3 Mixer --> M-Audio Profire 610 --> Presonus HP60 headphone amp.

The HP60 is the control center for several sets of headphones and various quality studio monitors.

I've used a similar setup for years with other components, but routing is always the same.

I also use Reaper and have no issues hearing what I'm playing on the guitar in real time along with backing or previously recorded tracks.

Sounds like you don't have Reapers routing/monitoring setup correctly.

YMMV

guitar --> Axe --> jacked via output1 to AI [so the Axe can play through the monitors with zero latency = you jamming along with music from the Mac/PC DAW / iTunes etc]
Mac/PC --> firewire / USB to AI [so the Mac / PC audio can get to the monitors and so you can record other things into the DAW like vocals etc]
Axe also USB to Mac/PC [for recording dry or wet / or reamping and also for AE and general management - backups, updates etc]
Monitors -> AI [so you can piss off the neighbours]

So, sounds like I may need a another soundcard. I have really bad latency. I'm using a crappy HP computer though so I'm sure it is not known for it's soundcard. :)

GTR - Metric Halo ULN-8 -> stereo preset to DAW (DP) analog output 1; mono DI output 2 to to DAW (DP) for later reamping if needed. I record at 96k, so no USB.

Zero latency as it's monitored through the ULN-8.

I have a Line6 TonePort UX2. I plug the Axe into that (which acts as the sound card / interface) and I'm good to go. Bought the UX2 like 7 years ago. Works great.

Guitar -> axe -> computer with logic pro. Headphone on the axe, done. I set the audio output of the computer to the axe and put backing tracks as tracks in logic. I always record the wet and dry signal.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Guitar -> axe -> computer with logic pro. Headphone on the axe, done. I set the audio output of the computer to the axe and put backing tracks as tracks in logic. I always record the wet and dry signal.

I would rather use something other than headphones if possible. I like hearing the sound in the room.

This is a dumb question, but would my latency dramatically change by getting a better soundcard (other than the stock HP one)?

You can use an active monitor instead of the headphone :) let the axe be the sound card

I have a monitor controller set up so I can hear the AxeFx without running it through my DAW if I want to.

The controller takes 3 sources in and has three sets of speaker outputs.

I like being able to jam on the Fractal outside of the DAW but then I can track in the DAW without re-patching anything too.

Fractal S/PDIF -> DAW Audio Interface
Fractal XLR -> DAW Audio Interface

DAW output Audio interface -> Monitor Controller Source 1
Computer audio -> Monitor Controller Source 2
Fractal 1/4" -> Monitor Controller Aux source

Monitor Controller Speaker A -> power amp -> NS10s.
Monitor Controller Speaker B -> CLR's
Monitor Controller Speaker C -> Hsu subwoofer

(DAW Audio interface S/PDIF out -> Fractal S/PDIF in)

You can use an active monitor instead of the headphone :) let the axe be the sound card

Yeah, I guess I could plug speakers into the AxeFX-II and have the soundclip coming in just like headphones. So simple that I didn't even think about it. :)

I would rather use something other than headphones if possible. I like hearing the sound in the room.

This is a dumb question, but would my latency dramatically change by getting a better soundcard (other than the stock HP one)?

What is your CPU usage on the presets being used? I'm running a HP PC, and in my particular case, I've found that higher percentages of CPU usage can really increase latency. Once I get that under control, I have no issues.

Back
Top Bottom