How do you set your 'boost' option?

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
Hi Everyone, getting my presets arranged still.

I used to have an option to add +6db as a boost for loud portions of the songs using my G-major II.

How do you get your boost to kick in and with what chain? I have checked the manual and nothing jumped out at me.

There is still a delay between scenes going from one to another and I would like to assign a button to just kick in a boost without a burp of the scene change.

Use Channel, fx, or what? Any feedback is appreciated.

I would suggest a slight modification here: put it after the amp but before effects like Reverb and Delay (assuming they are after the Amp).

I've found the results sound a bit odd at the very end. Would you agree?
i do not agree. i have mine after reverb and delay with no adverse effects. i'm sure he'll do what he thinks sounds best.

the question was what do *I* do, and i answered it.

thank you for yet again analyzing a statement of mine and telling how it can be improved upon.

I add a +3dB null boost at the the very end of my chain. Works perfectly.
I also insert a +8dB boost immediately before the Amp block for 'cleanish' boosts as opposed to Drive block boosts.

I would suggest a slight modification here: put it after the amp but before effects like Reverb and Delay (assuming they are after the Amp).

I've found the results sound a bit odd at the very end. Would you agree?

This is what I do as well. It prevents the tails from getting boosted prematurely. Really depends on what you have going on, but for me, it always works best here. I use a Control Switch to engage. Try it both before and after the effects and see what you like best.

Hi Everyone, getting my presets arranged still.

I used to have an option to add +6db as a boost for loud portions of the songs using my G-major II.

How do you get your boost to kick in and with what chain? I have checked the manual and nothing jumped out at me.

There is still a delay between scenes going from one to another and I would like to assign a button to just kick in a boost without a burp of the scene change.

Use Channel, fx, or what? Any feedback is appreciated.

I use a Volume block set to -2dB. On for all but the lead preset.

I also make it a global block so I can tweak the offset for all patches.

+1 for filter block at the very end. Although if it's a CPU hungry preset, I've used Scene Level, but I try to avoid it because it's easy to forget about.

I put the volume/filter block after the cab but before any time based effects. So, I might have:

phaser->drive->amp->cab->chorus->VOL->delay->reverb

That way, you don't have a sudden level change when the VOL block comes in and out.
I think mine is the basically just like that except it is probably before the Chorus, but I'm not 100% sure.

I just kick on dual fully maxed out metal zones, spread my legs, throw my head back, and melt faces.
....it doesn’t matter where in the chain they are.. they *are* the chain & it’s off the chain.. ya dig..

I always have a volume block after the amp connected to a pedal (I play with a lot of volume swells). For a clean level boost I set up channel B on the volume block with a level that's +6 dB or whatever.

I use 2 methods, the first is the Filter block just after the amp (but before Reverb etc), and on this I use Channels A - C for an extra 2dB (so Channel A -= 0dB, B = 2dB, C = 4dB etc). I use an IA on my MMGT to cycle through the Channels for the Filter block so I don't actually change scenes.

The second method I use is the one below by Chris (see around 8:20 in the video). I like this one in case I have to use a preset where I haven't configured a Filter block yet, then I can still boost my Output if needed. This works well with my MFC and MMGT. The difference here though is it is an overall Output boost, whereas the first method has a boost in the chain.

Surprised that no one has yet mentioned the newest of the boost options, the drive in the Amp Block on the III.....

I interpreted the OP's question as looking for a volume boost rather than a drive/gain boost. He mentioned he wanted a 6dB boost for loud portions of a song.

FWIW, I love those preamp boosts, but I still enjoy tweaking the drive block so I haven't used them properly yet.

I interpreted the OP's question as looking for a volume boost rather than a drive/gain boost. He mentioned he wanted a 6dB boost for loud portions of a song.

FWIW, I love those preamp boosts, but I still enjoy tweaking the drive block so I haven't used them properly yet.
You’re probably right.

Back
Top Bottom