How do you set your 'boost' option?

Using a Control Switch gives you quite a bit of flexibility over what you can control with one footswitch without any lag or gap. Increase the Master Volume and/or Level in the Amp block as well as turn off the Bright Switch and turn on the Fat Switch. With the same switch you can adjust the Mix of any of the modulation blocks, increase the Level in the Cab block and reduce the Feedback in the Delays. Just attach to any modifier and set the Min and Max or On/Off states. Incredible functionality with one press of a button.

I normally use the filter block also, but the many things suggested here will help find what’s best for you. An EQ block can also be used if you want to alter the tone for leads only. On some I just use a scene to boost and bring in a filter, eq, compressor, or other blocks at the same time. The FAS gear gives so many options that you can use multiple solutions for whatever suits you.

I typically use an expression pedal connected to the Out1 level. You can configure the expression pedal globally so this works with all patches without modification (assuming they use Out1 or whatever output levels you tie to the expression pedal).

The trick is to use an expression pedal that lets you specify a minimum value like the Boss EV-30, Boss FV-500L, or Roland EV-5 - there are other brands as well, these are what I've used.

So when the pedal is in the heel position, it is my rhythm volume. And now I have a variable volume-only boost from the heel to the toe. It's nice to be able to be able to boost something just a little without going into full solo level.

I typically use an expression pedal connected to the Out1 level. You can configure the expression pedal globally so this works with all patches without modification (assuming they use Out1 or whatever output levels you tie to the expression pedal).

The trick is to use an expression pedal that lets you specify a minimum value like the Boss EV-30, Boss FV-500L, or Roland EV-5 - there are other brands as well, these are what I've used.

So when the pedal is in the heel position, it is my rhythm volume. And now I have a variable volume-only boost from the heel to the toe. It's nice to be able to be able to boost something just a little without going into full solo level.
Not having used an expression pedal for this purpose, aren't you able to set the minimum level in the modifier page to use with any expression pedal?

Not having used an expression pedal for this purpose, aren't you able to set the minimum level in the modifier page to use with any expression pedal?

If you were setting this as a modifier in a block, yes. I attach it to the Out1 volume level globally - this is in the Setup menu. From page 13 in the manual:

globalvolume.png

I didn't get this at all when I first read it:
It prevents the tails from getting boosted prematurely.
I completely understood this when I first read it:
Even worse, delay trails will get reduced when switching off the filter block.
After about a minute or so, I realized that they are two sides of the same coin. That's my brain, usually the caboose and rarely the engine.

I add 3db at the end with a dedicated expression pedal, after all effects right before the output. I've found any more than that it gives me too much above my band mix, 3 db seems perfect.

I'm not sure why some of this gets so confusing to me. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I've read ALL of the manuals several times and still not getting why this isn;t working for me. I even read Yeks guide but some of it is so cryptic it was hard to udnerstand what he was referring too in many cases. Not to menuotn much of it applies to Axe FX II NOT the III which I have.

I'm simply trying to add a a purely volume boost to EACH and every preset just in case I need that extra little touch of volume for cleaner or even lead tones. I'd rather not have to go preset to preset which would take hours to do. Kind of ridiculous.

I tried using the Filter block and one by one went to each preset. I placed it after the amp/cab blocks and before time based effects like Reverb and Delay. After setting up the first one, I then added a Controller using an expression pedal and set the MIN volume to 0.0 db and the MAX to 6.0+ db. I saved it as a global block. Then when I went to the next preset went to the Block menu in Axe Edit then "Library" then selected the Filter block I already created. Once the block is loaded there I chose "Link block to Global Block 1" I tired repeating this to other presets and the basic concept works. Two issues. One, if I changed a setting in the controllers page like min or max value, it DID NOT update the other presets like I thought, even though they were linked to Global Block 1 already. WTF ????? This m makes no sense since these are Global Blocks. Also I tried deleting the Global Block but could not even find where and how too do it so I deleted the folder and now it shows up no matter what I do. Its crazy to me that this is so difficult and NOT at all user friendly.

PS> I have another Expression pedal just dedicated to Wah's or other effects but the 1st Expression pedal I mentioned above is dedicated to the boost ONLY when I need it.

The other thing I noticed if I set the MIN to anything below 0.0 db I end up getting a increase in volume but then a decrease in volume so weird.

Heres what would be ideal. I read this in Yeks guide but NOT a clue how too accomplish this. I like the idea of a global set up so no matter what preset or scenes Im using I always have this dedicated expression pedal to add NONE or up to 6db b most or any where in between.

"Create a global "Boost" without having to modify each preset. Matman's trick: set the CC of an IA SWITCH on the controller to that of OUT1 VOLUME. Set the OFF value to (for example) "111" (unboosted level) and set the ON value to "127" (boosted level). Don't forget to add a second CC for OUT2 VOLUME, or assign OUT2 to the same CC as OUT1."

What is an IA Switch ??
How do you set the MIDI CC he refers to in order to create the change the mentions ??

I'm not sure why some of this gets so confusing to me. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I've read ALL of the manuals several times and still not getting why this isn;t working for me. I even read Yeks guide but some of it is so cryptic it was hard to udnerstand what he was referring too in many cases. Not to menuotn much of it applies to Axe FX II NOT the III which I have.

I'm simply trying to add a a purely volume boost to EACH and every preset just in case I need that extra little touch of volume for cleaner or even lead tones. I'd rather not have to go preset to preset which would take hours to do. Kind of ridiculous.

I tried using the Filter block and one by one went to each preset. I placed it after the amp/cab blocks and before time based effects like Reverb and Delay. After setting up the first one, I then added a Controller using an expression pedal and set the MIN volume to 0.0 db and the MAX to 6.0+ db. I saved it as a global block. Then when I went to the next preset went to the Block menu in Axe Edit then "Library" then selected the Filter block I already created. Once the block is loaded there I chose "Link block to Global Block 1" I tired repeating this to other presets and the basic concept works. Two issues. One, if I changed a setting in the controllers page like min or max value, it DID NOT update the other presets like I thought, even though they were linked to Global Block 1 already. WTF ????? This m makes no sense since these are Global Blocks. Also I tried deleting the Global Block but could not even find where and how too do it so I deleted the folder and now it shows up no matter what I do. Its crazy to me that this is so difficult and NOT at all user friendly.

PS> I have another Expression pedal just dedicated to Wah's or other effects but the 1st Expression pedal I mentioned above is dedicated to the boost ONLY when I need it.

The other thing I noticed if I set the MIN to anything below 0.0 db I end up getting a increase in volume but then a decrease in volume so weird.

Heres what would be ideal. I read this in Yeks guide but NOT a clue how too accomplish this. I like the idea of a global set up so no matter what preset or scenes Im using I always have this dedicated expression pedal to add NONE or up to 6db b most or any where in between.

"Create a global "Boost" without having to modify each preset. Matman's trick: set the CC of an IA SWITCH on the controller to that of OUT1 VOLUME. Set the OFF value to (for example) "111" (unboosted level) and set the ON value to "127" (boosted level). Don't forget to add a second CC for OUT2 VOLUME, or assign OUT2 to the same CC as OUT1."

What is an IA Switch ??
How do you set the MIDI CC he refers to in order to create the change the mentions ??
Your mistake is that you are mixing the block library and global blocks.

When you save the block with the settings you want and then Link to a global, you want to load from "load and link" that Global block instance in each preset.

What you are doing is loading a block from the block library on your computer (which is not a global block, and not on your Axe Fx) which then replaces the global block values.

Your mistake is that you are mixing the block library and global blocks.

When you save the block with the settings you want and then Link to a global, you want to load from "load and link" that Global block instance in each preset.

What you are doing is loading a block from the block library on your computer (which is not a global block, and not on your Axe Fx) which then replaces the global block values.

Thank you for pointing it out to me., But now I have other questions.

1) Where in Axe Edit do I set up and use Global Blocks ? I thought that's what I was using. ??

2). Is the "Load and Link" the same basic feature in. both Library and Global Blocks ? Think that's why I was confused.

3) Can Modifiers be used in a Global Block ?? Ex: limiting the MIN volume and MAX volume of the Filter block set to Null Type ??

4) Where is the manual to Axe Edit III , I can only see the manual for version 2 for Axe FX II

This is my preferred method, as I have 2 expression pedals on my boat anchor controller. All the way back is normal volume. All the way forward is approximately +6db.

1) Where in Axe Edit do I set up and use Global Blocks ? I thought that's what I was using. ??
Off the top of my head, I don't remember... Not in front of Axe-Edit right now.

But you can only Link global blocks, so if you find those options you are good.
2). Is the "Load and Link" the same basic feature in. both Library and Global Blocks ? Think that's why I was confused.
See #1
3) Can Modifiers be used in a Global Block ?? Ex: limiting the MIN volume and MAX volume of the Filter block set to Null Type ??
Yes. A global block is just a block whose settings are shared amongst all the presets where it is used.

4) Where is the manual to Axe Edit III , I can only see the manual for version 2 for Axe FX II
Don't know... I'm not sure there is one.

I set my patches up in 3 rows (stomps, amps, and 'rack FX'), using the send/return pairs to bring the signal from row 1 to row3, and from row 3 to row 6. Each return block has a 'return level' and 'output level'. I use 'return level' on row 6 for a system volume pedal, and have 'output level' set at -6dB, so the 'louder' pedal toggles the 6dB pad to make a boost. I used to do 4.5dB (triple RMS power) in the old days, but have decided to try 6dB (quadruple RMS power) here.

Back
Top Bottom