How do you set up your subwoofer for a balanced tone ?

Red Beard

I run my AX8 through a pair of studio monitors (Yamaha H7) and the associate subwoofer (HS8S). The sound seems always very bassy to me (and yet I like low ends).

So I'm wondering how do you manage your subwoofer with your modeler ?

To have decent sound, I have to adjust :
  • bass around 3 on the amp block,
  • low cut arounds 70 Hz on the cab block,
  • level at 3 on the subwoofer.

Yamaha manual normally recommends to set level at 5 (12 o'clock) with low cut ON at 100Hz (12 o'clock).

I tried different configurations to compare the sound with the same preset :
  • on a FRFR Tech21 Deuce Deluxe : sounds as much bassy but also boxy.
  • on a tube power amp with a real cab (orange PPC212) : sounds weak with predominant mids.

I would like to have a linear and flat response with the monitors + sub to create my presets and not been surprised if I use them through another system.

Someone encountered the same problem ?

i just pulled up a synth in my daw and selected a sin wave and played down the keyboard all the way to the bottom. as the sound transitions from the monitors to the sub i can hear it cross over, but i have the sub set so that i don't notice any difference in volume as it does so.
also - there's no point comparing a preset designed for FRFR with a tube amp/speaker. they're totally different scenarios and there's no reason to assume the preset will translate without a lot of tweaking.

Thank you for your answer. I don't see why we could not compare FRFR amplication with a tube amplification. You can only use the preamp section of the amp block which goes through the FX loop block and then through a tube PA and a cab. This way, you can compare the modeler preamp with a real PA + cab or an emulated PA+CAB.
Like in this video where the preset is created for both scenarios (routing explained at 1:40) :

Back
Top Bottom