How do you record your Axe-Fx?

Aeser

Inspired
Currently on the waiting list and psyched to try it out. I mainly will be using it with my home studio which is currently using a Universal Audio Apollo Duo thunderbolt audio interface. I know I can just go USB from the Axe FX to my mac (which I'd have to do to use Axe edit, right?) and use the Axe FX as an audio interface and record that way. How is the latency with that using USB? Planning to play/record fast death metal type stuff with it so latency would be a chief concern as that could rain on my parade real quick. I also have digital optical in on the UA Apollo, does anybody go digitally out of the axe fx to an optical in on an audio interface? I'd rather not go analog out of the axe fx to the analog in's on the apollo even as decent as the A/D and D/A converters are if i can not have to convert at all and keep everything digital until it hits my speakers that would be ideal for fidelity.

Just wondering what the rest of you did for recording with yours? Thanks!

people do everything you've mentioned.

there is no latency when recording with USB - you'd connect the speakers to the Axe-Fx as you would with any audio interface, that way the Axe audio is immediately coming through the Analog outputs, and your computer audio would come through those as well via USB.

you don't need to use Axe-Edit to record - it's just an editor program and can be closed when recording.

i personally go analog, XLR from Out 1 to my mixer/interface with no quality loss or change in tone. others use SPDIF to keep it digital, which works well too.

Your best bet, if you’re just recording guitar, would be to record via USB. Latency on the AxeFX is quite good. It’s not the lowest you’ll find. However, that’s immaterial if you do, as Chris mentioned, what’s called “monitor direct”. That means record via USB, but at the same time you listen to your playing by connecting your AxeFX analog out to your speakers. That way you avoid any latency issues. Get an inexpensive stereo mixer to combine the AxeFX speaker connection with your computer audio out so you can listen to both at the same time. In other words, in your DAW, use the AxeFX for input and your computer audio out for output. Depending on your DAW, you may need to create an aggregate audio device.

I’d find it difficult to not use axe edit, coming from using native instruments guitar rig so I’m spoiled having a full screen modeler editor. I’ll probably just use it via usb as an audio interface. I just like the Apollo a lot and don’t want it to go to waste.

I’d find it difficult to not use axe edit, coming from using native instruments guitar rig so I’m spoiled having a full screen modeler editor. I’ll probably just use it via usb as an audio interface. I just like the Apollo a lot and don’t want it to go to waste.

Then just sell it?

I use USB to garageband, axe fx hooked up to monitors. I've made one EP, redoing a second, and I think I have some LP stuff somewhere. So far so awesome.

i was just saying Axe-Edit is not a requirement for recording specifically. of course you can use it to edit presets as you record. but it doesn't need to be open specifically to record.

Into a mic pre. Generally a UA 710 out to a MOTU 24AO digital in to the PC. I set up outputs to the pre right after the cabs in the AXE so its dry.

Your best bet, if you’re just recording guitar, would be to record via USB. Latency on the AxeFX is quite good. It’s not the lowest you’ll find. However, that’s immaterial if you do, as Chris mentioned, what’s called “monitor direct”. That means record via USB, but at the same time you listen to your playing by connecting your AxeFX analog out to your speakers. That way you avoid any latency issues. Get an inexpensive stereo mixer to combine the AxeFX speaker connection with your computer audio out so you can listen to both at the same time. In other words, in your DAW, use the AxeFX for input and your computer audio out for output. Depending on your DAW, you may need to create an aggregate audio device.

if I use the axe fx as an audio interface I can hear the guitar of course but should also be able to hear the rest of the tracks from the DAW as well out through the axe fx as it’s acting like an audio interface, right? I’m really not into buying a cheapo analog mixer to use both at the same time or even be able to hear my DAW tracks with my guitar tracks. Figured I’d just switch between audio interfaces based on if I’m recording guitars/axe fx or not (UA Apollo)

oh derp I get what you’re saying now, using a mixer for monitoring so I don’t have to keep switching the speaker connections between the axe fx and Apollo

if I use the axe fx as an audio interface I can hear the guitar of course but should also be able to hear the rest of the tracks from the DAW as well out through the axe fx as it’s acting like an audio interface, right? I’m really not into buying a cheapo analog mixer to use both at the same time or even be able to hear my DAW tracks with my guitar tracks. Figured I’d just switch between audio interfaces based on if I’m recording guitars/axe fx or not (UA Apollo)
yes. you set the Axe as the output device in your DAW or computer. it comes through Out 1, which is also the Headphone jack.

oh derp I get what you’re saying now, using a mixer for monitoring so I don’t have to keep switching the speaker connections between the axe fx and Apollo

That's right. Not only does it mean you don't have to touch any cables, it gives you a simple way to balance the levels between your computer and your AxeFX. USB is the cleanest connection for recording because there's nothing between your AxeFX and the computer. And, USB is the easiest way to do re-amping. This isn't the only way to do things, but for a simple rig it has a lot of advantages.

I record via USB. The only weird quirk is I have most of my setup going through an apollo 8xp in my studio. (I play/record drums too). I monitor everything through the apollo and the studio monitors are plugged into that. Basically a similar setup to yours.

The AxeFX3 is connected via SPDIF to the apollo so there's no latency when I'm playing. What my daw 'sees' though is the input via USB, if it were seeing it from the Apollo, the audio would be recorded about 10-20ms behind because the audio is routed in this way.

With your setup, (for what I believe you want to do) I would connect the monitors to the Apollo, connect the AxeFX3 to the apollo using SPDIF use audio routing software like Loopback to route the audio correctly. When you load your DAW, have the input come from the axeFX3 USB but the output go to the apollo. You won't need to buy any external mixer or anything like that. Just a couple SPDIF cables and a toslink converter. I spent about $30 on amazon.

You will be 'listening' latency free from the apollo, and you adjust the levels via the console software. Your DAW will be 'listening' via USB from the AxeFX and you will not be doing any software monitoring in the DAW.

Last edited:
Am i the only one using my computer headphone jack for my monitors to hear comp audio and daw audio?

Back
Top Bottom