How do you record your Axe-Fx?

I go:
Guitar -> DI box -> interface -> SPDIF out -> AxeFX -> interface SPDIF in

I route the DI input direct to the SPDIF output and it lets me record both DI and processed signal from the AxeFX at the same time.
Total latency is something like 5 samples (something like 0.1 milliseconds at 48k, so completely undetectable when playing).

The AxeFX3 is connected via SPDIF to the apollo so there's no latency when I'm playing. What my daw 'sees' though is the input via USB, if it were seeing it from the Apollo, the audio would be recorded about 10-20ms behind because the audio is routed in this way.

I record in Logic, using the SPDIF input on my Apollo. I use a click track and there is no delay that I am aware of.

I record in Logic, using the SPDIF input on my Apollo. I use a click track and there is no delay that I am aware of.

For clarity it's because I'm routing everything in Loopback. This is for the ability to teach via zoom to route audio. People were suggesting a mixer to avoid unplugging cables etc between the axe and apollo, but I suggested loopback etc so there's no external hardware needed

I also use apollo firewire Silverface 16/18 in/out, though Apollo have thunderbolt as well, but my Imac can't (yet).

I have connected SPDIF I/O + out 1 and out 2 from Axe Fx to apollo and USB for Axe edit.
I also use Behringer ADAT preamp 8 I/O (not expensive) connected via Apollo "Cue output", to monitor my Axe fx to my Yahama FRFR 1100W. This is to control my volume to Yahama FRFR, without messing with AXE FX volume out.

Apollos main output is my ADAM studio monitor 500W. I can of course record from all the sources I want in my DAW (logic pro) and place the out 1 and 2 block anywhere in the RIG I want dry/wet, I just choose them in my DAW in. I mostly listen to my SPDIF out in Apollo but record from 1 out in Axe Fx to record a dry take. There is no latency issues in as I listen to direct signal all the time..

I use the same analog signal path that I was using since before I had the Axe FX. Going analog through the Chandler preamps sounds very slightly better than AES, which I tried for a while and would be my second choice.

AFX III -> Out 1 L -> Chandler TG2 Preamp 1 -> Universal Audio Apollo 16 mkII -> Cubase
AFX III -> Out 1 R -> Chandler TG2 Preamp 2 -> Universal Audio Apollo 16 mkII -> Cubase
Radial JDV -> FMR RNP -> Universal Audio Apollo 16 mkII -> Cubase

I'm also using Adam A7 monitors (the older models, not the newer A7X).

I have the digital out set to input 1, then I track with a computer amp sim, then reamp using the digital in and record analog or digital out ( just have to set the digital out to output 1/2) because I have too much gear all hooked up to reconnect the axe 3 as my main hub, and I have 2x axe 2, 1x axe 3 and 1x kemper all connected with spdif/ aes at the same time (2x spdif, 2 x AES) into a Motu 8D going via AVB into a Motu 828ES going thunderbolt into our computers running at 64 sample latency @ 48Khz for a roundtrip of 6.67 MS, thank you AMD Ryzen 3900X , PS, can we get ADAT IN/Out on the Axe Fx 3 Mk3? please??

How are people recording time-based effects? I'm tracking just the "main" sounds and then plan on either:

Using plugins. Valhalla's Reverbs and Delays are the closest I've found to being able to do the more advanced delays/reverbs. This seems to be the easiest option with the most flexibility. The big downside would be trying to replicate sounds between the Axe-FX and the plugins.

Routing my tracks out of my DAW back to the Axe-FX III (using it as sort as an outboard delay/reverb unit). This is obviously more time consuming and less flexible (once you print, you have to reprint to change anything). The benefit is that the quality is second to none and has the good stuff like the cloud reverbs/plex delays/etc. Additionally the benefit of doing it this way is that my live patches can easily use the same settings.

Anyone have experience with this or know of delay/reverb plugins that may be a closer to 1-1 experience?

Just record analog into your interface. Simple and easy...don’t have to worry about sample rate, clocks, etc. just like you would record a guitar amp.

I have an Apollo twin.
I run the axe 3 into the Apollo via spdif. I have the Apollo hooked up to the speakers.
In my daw, I can select the axe or the Apollo to record without changing any wires. Works great either way. The Apollo seems to have a better driver and less latency.

I put the axe in xlr in my soundcard , I don’t like to use it like an interface because when I record vocals and the rest I m not going through it , so I need to remove the jacks from the studio monitor and bla-bla-bla . It works well with the external soundcard

SPDIF into your Apollo, which is what I do. Easy peasy, works like a charm.
This. Makes life so much easier so you’re not switching interfaces on your DAW. Also, if you already have cables hooked from the UA interface to your monitors, you won’t be switching them back and forth out of the UA to the Axe Fx to hear what’s going on.

I personally hook up USB to access axe edit, spdif to go straight digital into an 18i20, and an xlr for direct recording. It’s always worked like a charm and is super easy to get tracks rolling.

I have an Apollo twin.
I run the axe 3 into the Apollo via spdif. I have the Apollo hooked up to the speakers.
In my daw, I can select the axe or the Apollo to record without changing any wires. Works great either way. The Apollo seems to have a better driver and less latency.
Are you saying in your DAW, you have both the Apollo and the AXE available as inputs?
My DAW allows only one interface as inputs. I have a RME UCX and just got my AX3.
AX3 is going to RME via spdif but if I can use AX3 usb in/out at the same time that would make reamping easier.
Thoughts?

How are people recording time-based effects? I'm tracking just the "main" sounds and then plan on either:

Using plugins. Valhalla's Reverbs and Delays are the closest I've found to being able to do the more advanced delays/reverbs. This seems to be the easiest option with the most flexibility. The big downside would be trying to replicate sounds between the Axe-FX and the plugins.

Routing my tracks out of my DAW back to the Axe-FX III (using it as sort as an outboard delay/reverb unit). This is obviously more time consuming and less flexible (once you print, you have to reprint to change anything). The benefit is that the quality is second to none and has the good stuff like the cloud reverbs/plex delays/etc. Additionally the benefit of doing it this way is that my live patches can easily use the same settings.

Anyone have experience with this or know of delay/reverb plugins that may be a closer to 1-1 experience?

I record all my delays and reverbs straight from my axe fx. Ive never bothered trying to replicate from something else - the effect helped to craft the part.

I record all my delays and reverbs straight from my axe fx. Ive never bothered trying to replicate from something else - the effect helped to craft the part.
Yeah, that is definitely an option. I just know that in the past I've ran into trouble in the mixing stage b/c of this. Ended up having to make compromises.

I monitor with delays/reverbs on the AxeFX, but record dry. Then I apply those effects in the DAW. You can't comp parts if you record the delays/reverbs.

Back
Top Bottom