How do you record your Axe-Fx?

What issues did you run into?
Delay and reverb affects how far back things sit in the mix. If you print them before the mixing stage you are stuck with how they sit. Having to fight that while trying to create a “unifying space” with things recorded separately can prove to be difficult. Sure you can “make it work” but was hoping for other perspectives

Delay and reverb affects how far back things sit in the mix. If you print them before the mixing stage you are stuck with how they sit. Having to fight that while trying to create a “unifying space” with things recorded separately can prove to be difficult. Sure you can “make it work” but was hoping for other perspectives

I generally record dry and adding time based plugins via DAW. That gives me finer control during mixing stage.
I occasionally record both the dry and wet signals from the Axe-FX III on different tracks, so I can blend them by adjusting levels separately.

That makes sense. Coming from a post-hardcore background (loud, reverb and delay are in every song, a lot) all our recordings need to track the effects before the mixing stage. Now that Im doing my own thing I do it the same way.

I generally record dry and adding time based plugins via DAW. That gives me finer control during mixing stage.
I occasionally record both the dry and wet signals from the Axe-FX III on different tracks, so I can blend them by adjusting levels separately.
What plugins are you using?

That makes sense. Coming from a post-hardcore background (loud, reverb and delay are in every song, a lot) all our recordings need to track the effects before the mixing stage. Now that Im doing my own thing I do it the same way.
Yeah, I am pretty reliant on both delay and reverb, but didn't want to back myself in the corner. May try to just send the effects to their own track to allow more flexibility. Will just require more "reamping" lol

Yours is a good use case for recording a wet and dry version of the guitars and simply reamping the dry guitars at the mix stage.

Whats the consensus on axe iii -> pc via USB. Setting your main bus output to axe iii output 1 and using your headphone jack on the fractal for monitoring?

Whats the consensus on axe iii -> pc via USB. Setting your main bus output to axe iii output 1 and using your headphone jack on the fractal for monitoring?
I do this almost exclusively when tracking. You sometimes have to adjust the click & master levels from the DAW, but that's a pretty minor inconvenience.

This allows me to capture DI and two outputs at the same time, which is nice.

My Axe is in the post , my monitors have 2 inputs on both speakers HS8s ,my plan is to connect my axe fx directly to said speakers and leave my interface plugged in too , record with USB with axe fx as interface ..but mute the track im recording on to , directly monitoring through my speakers ,
switching back and forth between interfaces as required , am i missing something, seems legit .

I'm still pretty new to the Axe, so I've been doing what I did in the past which is out to an interface (Scarlett 4i4), but I did try using the Axe as an interface via USB and it does work really well, so it's definitely a preference thing.

I'm REALLY new to the Axe III (it's on the UPS truck - fingers crossed lol) and hope to use/record it two distinct ways, both as a stand alone guitar tone > direct into my DAW as well as sometimes just using its coloring effects in the loops of my tube amps.

Like Denny, I like to grab both the wet and dry signals and tweak from there. Usually just ends up being the wet signal for the final, but at least I have both if needed.

Back
Top Bottom