How do you record your Axe-Fx II in your DAW?

tc7four

I recently got my Axe FX II and trying to incorporate it into my DAW setup as I’m recording songs for a future release. I use Cubase Pro 10 with a MOTU 624 audio interface. My initial thought and basically what I’ve been doing since my beginnings as a bedroom producer, is to connect the line outs of my amp modeller to the audio interface’s inputs and hit record. Lately I’ve been considering using the Axe’s digital output (SPDIF) as from what I read, the signal quality is better. Unfortunately, the 624 doesn’t have SPDIF but TOSLink digital input/outputs so in order to make this work I’d have to get a converter box to do that (SPDIF to TOSLink). The other option is to use the Axe as an audio interface but its sample rate is 48kHz and all my projects are in 44.1kHz. And I’ve found that when converting from 48 to 44.1 you tend to loose some of the audio quality from the file, especially things that you changed with plugins. The MOTU audio and mixing capabilities are far better than the ones in the Axe. So, do I buy another, cheaper audio interface with an SPDIF option or do I simply plug the Axe’s outputs to the MOTU inputs and be done with it? How do you guys go on about recording your guitar? Any ideas or suggestions? I know I’m not going to get the sound that expensive equipment can produce but I still want to have a good result for my music.

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for reading this.

I have the analog outs of my Ultra and II XL+ go to the analog ins of a Lynx Aurora 16. I don't think to much about it. Ideally I would go digital to digital but I like to run my Reaper projects at 96kHz and I don't want to worry about SRC so I just go analog. Like I said I don't ever worry about it.

I have the analog outs of my Ultra and II XL+ go to the analog ins of a Lynx Aurora 16. I don't think to much about it. Ideally I would go digital to digital but I like to run my Reaper projects at 96kHz and I don't want to worry about SRC so I just go analog. Like I said I don't ever worry about it.
Thanks for the reply. Im like you. Don’t want to overthink this as I don’t want to end up putting hours into it instead of actually write music. Just want to get an idea on what everybody else does.

I use spdif into a focusrite pro 40, and I chose the clock of the focusrite pro 40 to use the spdif as the master clock. This stops clicks

XLR out into a rackmount focusrite scarlett.

I also pan my stereo cabs in my "studio" presets hard right and left so I can easily select in the daw if I want one cab or the other, or if I want both by select which output goes to the channel I'm recording. Works great for having a separate clean and distorted bass track cut in one take to mix independently too.

Back
Top Bottom